Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Can't seem to trim video correctly....
mrteeth2005 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jul 15, 2010 01:09 Messages: 55 Offline
[Post New]
Bare with me here guys as I'm still trying to get this right.

I have a video and there's a 2 minute scene where it's completely black. I'm not sure what happened but there's sound but no picture. I want to 'trim' this out.

So I bring up the trim setting. It shows the timeline and the scenes in 'boxes'. I select '1 minute' to break up the scenes in smaller bits. Then I see the two 'black scenes' next to each other. I select the first black scene and press 'Mark In'. I select the 2nd black scene and press 'Mark out', then OK.

When I do this, everything is trimmed except for those two blacked out scenes. Do I have this backwards? Please show me how to do this because it's getting frustrating.

Thank you.

Intel i930 (4x 2.80ghz), 12 gb Corsair Dominator DDR3 ram, 1.5gb Nvidia GTX480, Asus P6t mb, 850w XFX PSu, Windows 7 HP
Trevor George
Member Location: Bristol, UK. Joined: May 29, 2010 17:44 Messages: 80 Offline
[Post New]
If I want to remove scenes I simply mark the in and out points, then highlight that section on the timeline, then hit the delete key on my keyboard.

If you have other tracks such as a background music track, make sure that track is locked before doing the delete, by clicking on the 'padlock' icon to the locked setting. Trevor . . My YouTube site . . (Bristol, UK) . . My JVC GZ-HM1 Camcorder
mrteeth2005 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: If I want to remove scenes I simply mark the in and out points, then highlight that section on the timeline, then hit the delete key on my keyboard.

If you have other tracks such as a background music track, make sure that track is locked before doing the delete, by clicking on the 'padlock' icon to the locked setting.

So let say I am looking at the 'trim' menu. I see all of my frame boxes. I have two blacked out frames, which I want to delete. Do I put a Mark In on black frame 1 and Mark out on black frame 2? Or do I mark in and out on the frames outside those? Does that make sense?

I know this should be easy but I keep deleting all scenes except the blacked out scenes. Intel i930 (4x 2.80ghz), 12 gb Corsair Dominator DDR3 ram, 1.5gb Nvidia GTX480, Asus P6t mb, 850w XFX PSu, Windows 7 HP
Trevor George
[Post New]
You don't need the "Trim" menu . . . just do it in the normal edit process Trevor . . My YouTube site . . (Bristol, UK) . . My JVC GZ-HM1 Camcorder
mrteeth2005 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: You don't need the "Trim" menu . . . just do it in the normal edit process

Unfortunately, on the edit screen, my clip is one long hour and half production. There are no 'scenes' per se. That's why I need to go to the Trim Feature so I can actually see the blacked out screens. Intel i930 (4x 2.80ghz), 12 gb Corsair Dominator DDR3 ram, 1.5gb Nvidia GTX480, Asus P6t mb, 850w XFX PSu, Windows 7 HP
Trevor George
[Post New]
Assuming you have the long scene in the timeline, in the standard "Edit" mode, (not "Trim" mode). just locate the start point of the blacked-out section and click "Split", then locate the out-point and click "Split", then highlight the section between the two points and hit "delete".

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Sep 23. 2010 07:03

Trevor . . My YouTube site . . (Bristol, UK) . . My JVC GZ-HM1 Camcorder
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Trevor Good advice.
That is the way I like to trim video. Much easier to split the video, than to use the multi-trim.

One more thought, be sure you are in "Timeline" Mode, not "Storybook".
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

mrteeth2005 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks guys. I think that did the job. Intel i930 (4x 2.80ghz), 12 gb Corsair Dominator DDR3 ram, 1.5gb Nvidia GTX480, Asus P6t mb, 850w XFX PSu, Windows 7 HP