Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
SOLVED - Trying to synchronise separate audio track to singer's voice.
Trevor George
Member Location: Bristol, UK. Joined: May 29, 2010 17:44 Messages: 80 Offline
[Post New]
I have a video of a singer / guitarist playing in an echo-y room. I have been supplied with a separate MP3 audio recorded via the mixing desk, which is better quality.

I wish to use both audio-tracks mixed to give a nice overall sound.

I've separated the original camcorder audio track so it sits below in its own time-line, and added the mixing-desk audio into another track. I've been trying to trim the mixing-desk audio so it synchs perfectly with the camcorder audio, and I'm nearly there.

Problem . . . I cannot cut out a 'single' audio frame, as I near the synchronisation point, as for some reason PD8 won't do a cut unless you select at least 'three' audio frames, which messes with my mind, and makes it impossible to synch properly, and although it's out at the beginning it seem to match up about a minute-and-half into the video . . . very strange !!

Does anyone know if the bitrate of the MP3 has any bearing on this ?
Would a WAV file be more stable ?
And / or if there really is way to do it, that my tiny mind hasn't yet discovered ?
I have search the forums relentlessly but can't find the answer !!

Thanks

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 26. 2010 17:51

Trevor . . My YouTube site . . (Bristol, UK) . . My JVC GZ-HM1 Camcorder
Kevin R.
Contributor Location: Deep in the Heart of Texas Joined: Aug 17, 2010 15:58 Messages: 320 Offline
[Post New]
I would suggest using an outside audio mixer (i.e. Audacity) to mix your sound. Then come back, import that file to the audio track and then sync your video to match. at least that is what I normally do and I've made a number of music videos.
Cheers!
Kevin R. Saving the world, one goofy video and meme at a time.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
I second Kevin R's suggestion.

PD will not trim less than three frames. Note PD can TRIM in the Trim Window to within one frame. But using Split, you can not get that close.

You can trim much closer in Audacity.

Audacity does not base its timing on Video Frames.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 27. 2010 00:00

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Trevor George
Member Location: Bristol, UK. Joined: May 29, 2010 17:44 Messages: 80 Offline
[Post New]
Well, thank-you guys . . . that seems to have done the trick . . . doing in Audacity was so much more precise

However, I put it all in PD8, did a few simple trims, checked it along the time-lines . . . absolutely perfect sync, then went to trim it a little more and PD8 froze on me . . . again, even before I had the chance to save . . . guess I was so thrilled about mastering the sync, I simply forgot.

But it's no big deal, I'll start afresh in the morning, now the hard work has been done in Audacity.

Time to get the old head down now in the UK, ready for an early start tomorrow

Nighty-night and thanks again !!!! Trevor . . My YouTube site . . (Bristol, UK) . . My JVC GZ-HM1 Camcorder
Kevin R.
Contributor Location: Deep in the Heart of Texas Joined: Aug 17, 2010 15:58 Messages: 320 Offline
[Post New]
Trevor,
One important thing to remember, once you have the audio just right and have placed it in the audio track, is to LOCK the audio by clicking on the LOCK symbol for that track. Other wise you may accidentally clip the audio as well when trimming the video portions. It has happened to me and drove me nuts, before I noticed the error.
Cheers!
Kevin R. Saving the world, one goofy video and meme at a time.