Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
That's it! Thanks optodata.
I looked all over for something pertaining to audio & missed this menu. If PowerDirector had used a speaker icon instead of a sun(?) icon I probably would have saved a day or 2.

BTW, all of my clips had the "Keep audio" radio button selected but only some actually kept the audio. For the ones with muted audio I deselected then selected "Keep audio" & my audio returned.
PD16
I'm having a problem getting audio with some sped up video clips in my produced video. I looked around the forum & saw a few mentions of audio being muted once the video speed exceeds 3 or 4 or 6 times. In my case I have many clips of varying speed rates: 6 to 30 times. With some 6X clips I get audio, others are muted. With some 30X clips I get audio, others are muted. Same with other speeds in between. In some cases one clip from a video file has sound & a second clip from the same file is muted. Raw video was all shot with the same camera (GoPro) under similar conditions & all clips are in the top timeline in PowerDirector.
There doesn't seem to be a pattern to which clips have audio & which don't.

One thing I noticed is that some clips have a small white dot on the left end of the audio track, some don't (see attached image). I was hoping this might be an indication of mute but it doesn't appear to be related. Some with the dot are muted, some not. Same for the clips with no dot on the audio track. What is this for & why does it only appear with some clips?
I'll try again. Didn't see that.
Here's the image of the error msg
I just downloaded the PD16 patch. The installation stalls at 78% with this error message:
${IDS_CL_FOLDERLOCKEDINFOMSG_Enu}
I cancelled the rest of the installation & PD started but I'm worried the install was incomplete. Anybody know what this means?

By the way, how do I attach an image. I have a screen shot of the error msg but when I click Insert/Edit Image I get a box with text fields - no Explorer type dialog box to pick the file like other forums I've been on. Is there an easy way to attach an image file?

I don't see any way of doing that with the C/Z/P tool other than what you're already doing.

There is a much faster approach, but it requires that all clips be identical in terms of where the effect starts and ends relative to the start of the clip. Meaning, as long as every clip will have the effect start at the beginning, or say 3.2 seconds from the beginning, you can use this method. The clips can be of any length.

Instead of using the C/Z/P tool, open the first clip in the PiP designer and use keyframes and either the image handles or the number settings boxes to create the C/Z/P look you want.

Save the clip, and then right-click on it on the main timeline and choose Copy Keyframe Attributes. Now, you can click on or select as many clips as you want and use Paste Keyframe Attributes to apply the effect to all of them in one shot. If you want to select specific clips on the timeline and not others, hold down the Ctrl key when clicking on the desired ones.

BTW you can't use this technique with clips modified by the C/Z/P tool because it doesn't store the changes in keyframes.

Thanks very much, this is exactly what I was trying to do
PD16
I have many short video clips that I want to crop/zoom to the same settings. Is there a way to do this once as a group? (I can't produce the group first because the clips are interspersed with others that will not be cropped).
Failing this, is there a way to put the crop/zoom edit window on a hotkey - I did not see it listed in EDIT / KEYBOARD HOTKEYS.
Right now for each clip I have to press the TOOLS button, check CROP & ZOOM then press the CROP ZOOM button - very tedious.
Thanks for your help
Where can I see & modify the aspect ratio of the photo viewer? I want to make sure my final photo fits on the paper size I will use.
Quote As Hatti stated, PD isn't set up to do that task without producing the final result.

However, there are many free 3rd party tools that will cut out a section without re-encoding. Here is a site with 10 such utilities.

Thanks, this is exactly what I want to do. Now I can save short clips from large raw video files & do the real editing later in Powerdirector. This allows me to immediately delete original video files, which can be 99% unuseable.

For anyone else looking at the above mentioned utilities, I tried both Gihosoft Free Video Cutter & Free Video Cutter (the first 2 on the list). I decided on Free Video Cutter & here's my brief review:.
In "options" you set the precision which is the number of equal length increments in to which the video is divided: 10-200, default being 60. You can extract a clip that is any number of consecutive whole increments. You also have the choice to create "video thumbs". I assume that these are thumbnails of all the increments but the process of generating them is so painfully slow that I closed the program before the process could finish.
The way I use the program is to watch my raw footage & note the times of the clips I want to keep. Then in Free Video Cutter, using a precision of 200 (smallest increments), I select the start & end of the clip using the sliders which snap to boundaries of the increments. The resulting clip is a little bigger than what I want but I can do final editing PowerDirector.
I see that Powerdirector 17 includes a new feature called "Video Precut".
I'm still looking for an easier way to save small video clips from a large file of raw footage without going through the Produce step. Will this new feature do this? If I make precuts using this new feature are they saved independently of the original file, in which case I can delete the oringinal file to save storage space?
This would be reason enough for me to upgrade to 17
Fantastic - thanks for your help.
I have several 10 minute pieces of 2.7K 30 fps raw footage. All I want to keep from each one is 10-20 seconds & the rest can be deleted to free up disk space. I want to keep the small clips in the original format then spend time later doing the detailed editing - zoom, pan etc. when I have more time. Is there an easy way to save bits of video created with the trim tool without going through the produce step? Or if I have to “produce” the clip how can I retain 2.7K? I don’t see that as a file format option.
Quote I cannot confirm that behaviour. There seem to be strange things around Photodirector:

1. unplug all USB devices. I know, that should not affect the full screen, but try it.

2. have you deleted (save backup, please) of the ini-file in 'c:\users\YOURNAME\AppData\Local\CyberLink\PhotoDirector'?

Hatti

I resolved the problem by playing around with my dual screen configuration. I disabled my secondary screen & restarted Photodirector. I was able to see the regular screen, exited PD, restarted my computer & re-enabled my secondary monitor.
Thanks for the tip on the ini file. I'll save a copy of of it after a normal shutdown which I should be able to use if I have another problem.
Quote ESC-Key? Maybe?

Hatti

No buttons or combination of buttons (that I have tried) works. No right mouse button menu. Nothing is visible on the screen apart from the image which covers the whole screen. I can close the program using Windows task manager but when I start the program again the same full size image appears.
Problem is identical to that described above.
I am having the identical problem.
Has this been solved?
Thanks for the above answers - I knew I could change the duration in the above 2 ways, however I didn’t express my question correctly.
First of all I learned something since my previous post: when I drag a title screen on to my timeline, its duration is set to the duration specified in preferences. If I had previously created a custom title of duration x then change the title duration in preferences to y, my custom template will now have the duration y.
Is it possible to save a fixed duration with a custom title? I would like to be able to save custom titles with fixed durations so I don’t have to adjust the duration of the effects within the title when PD changes its duration.
One more thing, when I “save as” in title designer, where is it saved to?
When I make a custom title the duration I get is what is set in preferences. Is there a way to change the duration without reseting the default in preferences?
Quote Yes, I see what you mean.

You were working in the Layers module, but the imported photo layer (hat) wasn't saved as part of the exported project. I'll make enquiries about that.

In your exported project, if you go back to the Library module, are all your photos available? (not counting the missing hat)

PIX

Only the background photo appears in library mode.

I have done some further testing:

I open phd file A.phd
make some revisions
close phd & say Yes to save temporary file
when I reopen A.phd (or simply start phd) I see all my previous work saved

I open phd file A.phd
make some revisions
export the project to B.phd
close phd & say No to save temporary file
when I reopen B.phd none of my work has been saved & I am starting from where I first opened A.phd

I open phd file A.phd
make some revisions
export the project to B.phd
close phd & say Yes to save temporary file
when I reopen B.phd none of my work has been saved & I am starting from where I opened A.phd
If I reopen A.phd, my work has been saved there (but the previous state of A.phd has been overwritten & lost)

Do you have any further information on this issue?
Quote The Save & Save As commands in the File menu refer to indiviuals photos - not projects. Here, I have every version of PhD installed from PhD5. None of them has an option to Save/Save As for a project.

PhD automatically saves your project as you work. Every change you make is recorded in the .phd file, much like other photo management software.

PIX

Which file does PhD automatically save the project to? From my experimenting it looks like it saves to the last phd file that has been accessed. Which means that is if I force a project save, the next automatic save would overwrite what I saved? Is that correct?
Quote Yes, I see what you mean.

You were working in the Layers module, but the imported photo layer (hat) wasn't saved as part of the exported project. I'll make enquiries about that.

In your exported project, if you go back to the Library module, are all your photos available? (not counting the missing hat)

PIX

Only the background photo appears in library mode.
Go to: