Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Saving a short clip in original 2.7K format
PointyHairedBoss
Newbie Location: Ontario, Canada Joined: Feb 17, 2016 12:39 Messages: 31 Offline
[Post New]
I have several 10 minute pieces of 2.7K 30 fps raw footage. All I want to keep from each one is 10-20 seconds & the rest can be deleted to free up disk space. I want to keep the small clips in the original format then spend time later doing the detailed editing - zoom, pan etc. when I have more time. Is there an easy way to save bits of video created with the trim tool without going through the produce step? Or if I have to “produce” the clip how can I retain 2.7K? I don’t see that as a file format option. Windows 7, HP Omen Pro 15, Power Director 16, Photo Director 9
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi PointyHairedBoss -

Yes - you'd need to produce to save the trimmed clips.

2.7K isn't listed as a standard option, but if you click on the + button, it's available in the dropdown. See attached screenshot.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - 2.7K Profile.png]
 Filename
2.7K Profile.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
99 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
31 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
PointyHairedBoss
Newbie Location: Ontario, Canada Joined: Feb 17, 2016 12:39 Messages: 31 Offline
[Post New]
Fantastic - thanks for your help. Windows 7, HP Omen Pro 15, Power Director 16, Photo Director 9
PointyHairedBoss
[Post New]
I see that Powerdirector 17 includes a new feature called "Video Precut".
I'm still looking for an easier way to save small video clips from a large file of raw footage without going through the Produce step. Will this new feature do this? If I make precuts using this new feature are they saved independently of the original file, in which case I can delete the oringinal file to save storage space?
This would be reason enough for me to upgrade to 17

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 30. 2018 09:29

Windows 7, HP Omen Pro 15, Power Director 16, Photo Director 9
Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I see that Powerdirector 17 includes a new feature called "Video Precut".
I'm still looking for an easier way to save small video clips from a large file of raw footage without going through the Produce step. Will this new feature do this? If I make precuts using this new feature are they saved independently of the original file, in which case I can delete the oringinal file to save storage space?
This would be reason enough for me to upgrade to 17

No, if you change anything on a clip, you have to produce it. There is no way out. But if you only cut some piece and do not change anything else (color, adding effects, stabilize, etc), you can use the SVRT modus. PowerDirector will analyse your footage, and if you did not change it, the source can be just copied into the produced clip. That is MUCH, MUCH faster than producing. And there is no quality loss, because the original data is just copied.

Hatti Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
As Hatti stated, PD isn't set up to do that task without producing the final result.

However, there are many free 3rd party tools that will cut out a section without re-encoding. Here is a site with 10 such utilities.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
PointyHairedBoss
[Post New]
Quote As Hatti stated, PD isn't set up to do that task without producing the final result.

However, there are many free 3rd party tools that will cut out a section without re-encoding. Here is a site with 10 such utilities.

Thanks, this is exactly what I want to do. Now I can save short clips from large raw video files & do the real editing later in Powerdirector. This allows me to immediately delete original video files, which can be 99% unuseable.

For anyone else looking at the above mentioned utilities, I tried both Gihosoft Free Video Cutter & Free Video Cutter (the first 2 on the list). I decided on Free Video Cutter & here's my brief review:.
In "options" you set the precision which is the number of equal length increments in to which the video is divided: 10-200, default being 60. You can extract a clip that is any number of consecutive whole increments. You also have the choice to create "video thumbs". I assume that these are thumbnails of all the increments but the process of generating them is so painfully slow that I closed the program before the process could finish.
The way I use the program is to watch my raw footage & note the times of the clips I want to keep. Then in Free Video Cutter, using a precision of 200 (smallest increments), I select the start & end of the clip using the sliders which snap to boundaries of the increments. The resulting clip is a little bigger than what I want but I can do final editing PowerDirector. Windows 7, HP Omen Pro 15, Power Director 16, Photo Director 9