Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
how to produce a "flat" 360 video
JoeZ99 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Oct 12, 2014 08:05 Messages: 57 Offline
[Post New]
OK, so, if you load a 360 video into PD17- whether you drop the clip into the time line (and choose 360) or just look at it in the view window- you see it "flattened".

What I'd like to do and can't figure out how- is to "produce" a video that looks flat! But when I "produce" it- if I then look at the .mp4 file in Windows Media Player (on a system running W8.3) or in Quik Time Player- it retains that flat look- which is what I want (sometimes). Of course there is a lot of distortion- sort of like a map with a Mercator projection.

But, if I upload it to Vimeo or YouTube- they'll recognize that it's a 360 video and show it that way. I don't know any way to have them NOT see it as a 360 video.

There must be some way to do this.

Joe Zorzin
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote OK, so, if you load a 360 video into PD17- whether you drop the clip into the time line (and choose 360) or just look at it in the view window- you see it "flattened".

That's your problem, since you just told PD that you want to keep this as a 360° video.

If you want to produce a standard 2D video from a slice of your 360° clip, you'll need to choose the other option when you drag the clip to the timeline:

You'll also want to make sure you have the correct project aspect ratio, like 1:1 or 16:9, and not 360.

If you have it set to 360, the produce page will only show two 360° video options (AVC and HEVC), whereas if you've set it to a standard AR you'll have the whole range of Standard 2D options.
JoeZ99 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Let me redescribe the issue. I haven't used the program for several months so I'm a bit confused.

I load a 360 clip into PD. Then I add it to the time line and I choose 360 when it loads. Now, I turn off the tiney little round button under the viewer that was lit up blue to let me know that it is a 360 clip. Once I do that- the video is flattened- like a Mercator map (sort of). That image contains everything in the file and it is distorted but not like a little planet video. From that point- I can produce a video but having turned off that switch doesn't change the produced video into something other than a "normal" 360 video- because, I presume, that switch is only relevant to the viewer- not a produced video. But what I want to produce is that flattened video- not a little planet video. I like the distortion effect of flattened videos. I also often make little planet videos and I like them too- but I just want to see if I can produce a flattened video. I find it very "trippy". :-}
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Let me redescribe the issue. I haven't used the program for several months so I'm a bit confused.

I load a 360 clip into PD. Then I add it to the time line and I choose 360 when it loads.

Once again, you're choosing 360 in that step and that's what's causing the problem.

If you choose 360 from that menu, you're telling PD that everything you're doing is going to end up being produced as a full 360° video.

To produce to a completely flat, 2D video, you must choose the 2D option as shown in my screenshot above. You'll then work with the View Designer, which is where you choose the view from your 360° clip so that what you see in the preview window is exactly what you'll get in your produced video. Please see this FAQ.

If you have the project's aspect ratio already set to 16:9, you're ready to go. If it is set to 360 but you choose the 2D option when placing a 360° clip on the timeline, you'll see this message, and you should click Yes:

JoeZ99 [Avatar]
[Post New]
optodata,

I understand the use of View Designer to get a "flat" video- but that's not the kind of flat video I'm talking about. With View Designer you can zoom out and see much of what's in your raw file but not everything- and it's very distorted.

The kind of flat video you see if you turn off the little round 360 button under the view screen- has all the pixels in the video. It's rather distorted on the top and bottom- much like those Mercator maps- whish show Greenland bigger than America.

I've attached a screen shot showing an example- of me in a forest- it's flat but not distorted like a little planet video- but it includes all the pixels in the raw 360 video. Notice that the little 360 button under the view screen is turned off.

I like watched that video- because it shows everything all around me but isn't as weird as a little planet video. So, I can see it on my computer- both in PD but also in the simple editing program offered by Insta 360- the company that produced my 360 camera, the Insta 360 One X. In that program it's simply called the "flat" view- and it also is just for viewing- no way to produce such a video.

unfortunately, in my old age, I realize I can't have everything I want- as the Rolling Stones told me several decades ago- but I can still hope. :-}

Joe

*** file attached *****
[Thumb - Capture.JPG]
 Filename
Capture.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
336 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)
optodata
[Post New]
OK. Thanks for the screenshot as that tells me everything I need to know. Here are the exact steps to produce that clip exactly as-is:

Step 1: Drag the clip to the timline and choose 2D
Step 2: Don't use View Designer (you can make all other kinds edits, though)
Step 3: Produce

To make sure there's no misunderstanding, I made this very quick video

JoeZ99 [Avatar]
[Post New]
It worked! Thanks, man!

I like this type of distortion. I've been a big fan of little planet videos. Maybe I have a distorted mind (being a '60s dude)- but I have more fun with distorting videos than with "normal" videos. I think there's a place for all- but most of the time, I'm just having fun- not trying to be serious. I prefer to get my friends to laugh at my silly videos.

However, you see, I'm a forester and I've found it's not easy to capture on video what I see in the forest. Most videos in forests, unless done by professionals with awesome cameras, just don't do the job. On YouTube there are some forestry related videos- and they suck. I have a few that aren't terrible- one done with my old Canon camcorder and one done with my GoPro. I managed to make the most of their limitations. But, the forest wraps around me when I'm out there- I sense it in 360 degrees.

A recent clip I made of me walking through 100 acres of timber- which I marked for a timber harvest (the screen shot was from that)- I just didn't like it as a normal video or a little planet. Neither captured the feeling. But this "flat" works because it shows 360 degrees with far less distortion than a little planet video- except at the top and bottom. It's not even obvious that it's 360 degrees.

I'll now work on the full clip and see how it comes out.

I should have been able to figure this out on my own- but I was stumped (no pun intended).

thanks again- I see that you are a major contributor to this forum- it's lucky for us PD users to have you here- along with many others who also are very helpful

Joe

PS: many of my videos are on Vimeo- at https://vimeo.com/user845702/videos including the forestry videos, a video of the production of a hideous solar farm next to my 'hood, and numerous really goofy little planet videos- I'll now work on a "flat" version of me walking in the forest and upload that soon