Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
A Timeline edit limit? What to do?
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
Been editing for a few days with no surprises until today. Each one of the previous days when the scrubber reached the end of Timeline1 it would revert to the midpoint of Timeline1 and continue. All previous days the very first frame of the edited video file would show at the start of Timeline1. And between it and the midpoint was just a gray area with no video frames showing.

Today after the scrubber reverted as usual to the Timeline1 mid-point all of a sudden something changed. The very first video frame which had always been at the start of Timeline1 was appearing just beyond Timeline1 mid-point only a few frames ahead of the scrubber. I quickly saved the work file. Means I messed up something on the previous day? Was told previously the edit system can hold several hours? But as of now the Preview counter shows the edited frames at only twenty minutes long. What gives here?
Warry [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: The Netherlands Joined: Oct 13, 2014 11:42 Messages: 853 Offline
[Post New]
your explanation is not completely clear to me. Can you please explain and maybe show some screen shots?
Timeline1 is that track 1 on the time line?
The end of the timeline1 reverting back to the middle, is that during viewing in the preview screen?
The first frame but gray area until the middle? That is not normal behavior! Unless you have turned of frames in the preferences. Gray is that the video in track 1?
I have not tried and don't know how many hours a timeline can hold, but do you have hours of video? Or 20 minutes?
If you have to edit hours and hours of video, why not cut the clips into chunks that you can oversee and handle and if need be connect together at production time or afterwards?
also no DVD or Blu-ray or online service will easily accept hours long video?
so maybe explain a bit and preferably show what it is you do, so that we can advice?
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote your explanation is not completely clear to me. Can you please explain and maybe show some screen shots?
Timeline1 is that track 1 on the time line?
The end of the timeline1 reverting back to the middle, is that during viewing in the preview screen?
The first frame but gray area until the middle? That is not normal behavior! Unless you have turned of frames in the preferences. Gray is that the video in track 1?
I have not tried and don't know how many hours a timeline can hold, but do you have hours of video? Or 20 minutes?
If you have to edit hours and hours of video, why not cut the clips into chunks that you can oversee and handle and if need be connect together at production time or afterwards?
also no DVD or Blu-ray or online service will easily accept hours long video?
so maybe explain a bit and preferably show what it is you do, so that we can advice?

Warry,
Thank you for responding.
1. Others have asked for screen shots. Tried it but was not familiar with it and so far not successful.
2. Yes. The timelines all have two tracks. One is video and one is audio. I am referring only to the video part.
3. Yes. Timeline reverting is when Preview is also showing.
4. Not sure what you mean by preferences. But I would not turn off frames. The gray covers both video and audio timeline parts.
5. What I am doing is editing separate files. None are longer than one hour. My goal is to reduce each one to twenty minutes.
6. No DVD or Blu-ray involved.

I have decided to start again from the beginning and see if same thing happens.

Eugene
Warry [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: The Netherlands Joined: Oct 13, 2014 11:42 Messages: 853 Offline
[Post New]
Ok, let us know how it goes.
I trust that you make a separate project for each of the 1 hour clips? And maybe after heavy editing save the project and restart PD?
Have fun