Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Two newbie questions about Audio editing
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
I Have an edited video workfile in Timeline 1. Ready to do audio editing on this workfile. (Chose to keep video & audio editing functions separate). Three questions:
1. Found PD info online which says "First click "Tools" button above the Timeline". Don't see a button labeled "Tools". Is the info outdated?
2. Need to increase audio volume for myself. There's an "Audio Mixing Screen". Clicking on it causes a display of images labeled "Audios 1, 2, 3". Don't need 2 and 3. But how do you increase audio volume on any of them?
3. Presume the scrubber used on video is also used on audio? Except you are deleting unwanted sounds on certain frames instead of deleting frames?
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I Have an edited video workfile in Timeline 1. Ready to do audio editing on this workfile. (Chose to keep video & audio editing functions separate). Three questions:
1. Found PD info online which says "First click "Tools" button above the Timeline". Don't see a button labeled "Tools". Is the info outdated?
2. Need to increase audio volume for myself. There's an "Audio Mixing Screen". Clicking on it causes a display of images labeled "Audios 1, 2, 3". Don't need 2 and 3. But how do you increase audio volume on any of them?
3. Presume the scrubber used on video is also used on audio? Except you are deleting unwanted sounds on certain frames instead of deleting frames?

Maybe the following pics will help you. The "Tools" menu is only visible if you have a clip selected on the timeline, see PD19_Tools_Audio.png. You really don't need to use this as the simple change you want can easily be done in PD in the Audio Mixing Room without the need for AudioDirector or AudioEditor.

The slider for each audio track 1, 2, or 3 will adjust the gain of that entire track, see PD19_AudioGain.png. You can also adjust certain parts of a clip to high higher volume if desired, vs the gain of that entire track.

Jeff
[Thumb - PD19_Tools_Audio.png]
 Filename
PD19_Tools_Audio.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
757 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
8 time(s)
[Thumb - PD19_AudioGain.png]
 Filename
PD19_AudioGain.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
495 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
9 time(s)
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]

Maybe the following pics will help you. The "Tools" menu is only visible if you have a clip selected on the timeline, see PD19_Tools_Audio.png. You really don't need to use this as the simple change you want can easily be done in PD in the Audio Mixing Room without the need for AudioDirector or AudioEditor.

The slider for each audio track 1, 2, or 3 will adjust the gain of that entire track, see PD19_AudioGain.png. You can also adjust certain parts of a clip to high higher volume if desired, vs the gain of that entire track.

Jeff

Thanks, Jeff. Will use this info when I resume the edit tomorrow morning.
Gene Lenz
AVPlayVideo
Senior Contributor Location: Home Joined: Apr 06, 2016 19:03 Messages: 703 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I Have an edited video workfile in Timeline 1. Ready to do audio editing on this workfile. (Chose to keep video & audio editing functions separate). Three questions:

See how to adjust audio directly on the timeline or in the keyframe room

Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]

See how to adjust audio directly on the timeline or in the keyframe room

Thank you AVPlayVideo for your response. I will look at the video. Generally, however, I can't grasp details as fast as they come in video. Have to learn things the slow way by referring to printed info on my desk while looking at the edit work area on my pc.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Generally, however, I can't grasp details as fast as they come in video.

You may not know this, but you can change the playback speed on YouTube so things don't come at you too quickly:

You can also hit the spacebar at any time to pause and resume playback while watching a video there.
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]

Jeff

Jeff,
I'm still missing something. The video is running. Volume indicator in Audio 1 flashes upward at every sound but no higher than about mid-point between 0 and -13 and mostly less than mid-point. What do I click on to adjust to a higher volume?
Gene Lenz
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Jeff,
I'm still missing something. The video is running. Volume indicator in Audio 1 flashes upward at every sound but no higher than about mid-point between 0 and -13 and mostly less than mid-point. What do I click on to adjust to a higher volume?
Gene Lenz

I've added a line pointing to the horizontal slider that adjusts entire track gain in pic PD19_AudioGain.png, see if that helps.

Jeff
[Thumb - PD19_AudioGain.png]
 Filename
PD19_AudioGain.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
463 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
6 time(s)
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]

I've added a line pointing to the horizontal slider that adjusts entire track gain in pic PD19_AudioGain.png, see if that helps.

Jeff

Ok Jeff. Your answer points to what appears to be the real problem. You say "grab slider (the thing at bottom of Audio1 line) and move to the right".........
The slider doesn't move in any direction. At present time the Audio1 slider is directly under Audio 1 column. Which appears to be at the halfway point of the area it can move. The sliders under Audio 2 and 3 are both at the left end of the areas they can move. There must be one more preliminary thing I need to do after loading the video into Timeline1. Something else that needs to be activated before the slider can be moved?
(Need to be away an hour or so. Will be back.)
Gene Lenz
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Ok Jeff. Your answer points to what appears to be the real problem. You say "grab slider (the thing at bottom of Audio1 line) and move to the right".........
The slider doesn't move in any direction. At present time the Audio1 slider is directly under Audio 1 column. Which appears to be at the halfway point of the area it can move. The sliders under Audio 2 and 3 are both at the left end of the areas they can move. There must be one more preliminary thing I need to do after loading the video into Timeline1. Something else that needs to be activated before the slider can be moved?
(Need to be away an hour or so. Will be back.)
Gene Lenz

No, nothing needs to be activated. Since you said the level meter flashes between 0 and -13db that means the audio track is enabled. Your Audio 1 is at the halfway point as that is the default for a track with audio, halfway is 50% gain. For audio 2 and 3 tracks the slider is at the left as you have no audio or video with audio in tracks 2 and 3 so the gain is 0.

How are you trying to move the horizontal slider? Left mouse click on the little icon at the halfway point, while holding down the left mouse button on this icon, move the mouse left or right to move the slider.

Jeff
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]

No, nothing needs to be activated. Since you said the level meter flashes between 0 and -13db that means the audio track is enabled. Your Audio 1 is at the halfway point as that is the default for a track with audio, halfway is 50% gain. For audio 2 and 3 tracks the slider is at the left as you have no audio or video with audio in tracks 2 and 3 so the gain is 0.

How are you trying to move the horizontal slider? Left mouse click on the little icon at the halfway point, while holding down the left mouse button on this icon, move the mouse left or right to move the slider.

Jeff

Jeff,
I'm already doing that. I left mouse click on the icon and then keeping the left mouse key down on the icon while attempting to move it left or right.
Gene Lenz
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Jeff,
I'm already doing that. I left mouse click on the icon and then keeping the left mouse key down on the icon while attempting to move it left or right.
Gene Lenz

Sorry, out of ideas without some guidance, a pic of what you see would help so much. I know you mentioned you don't know how, but the steps are extremely simple and outlined here step by step to read and follow, https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/85748.page#post_box_354917

Jeff
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]

Sorry, out of ideas without some guidance, a pic of what you see would help so much. I know you mentioned you don't know how, but the steps are extremely simple and outlined here step by step to read and follow, https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/85748.page#post_box_354917

Jeff

Will try once again, using the steps listed in the link you provided. Seems like first time I tried to print screen the printout only showed about sixty percent of the total screen, leaving out the left side. Do you know how to adjust it so that it displays the left side of the screen?
Will wait another hour or two for your reply before I try this again.
Gene Lenz
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Will try once again, using the steps listed in the link you provided. Seems like first time I tried to print screen the printout only showed about sixty percent of the total screen, leaving out the left side. Do you know how to adjust it so that it displays the left side of the screen?
Will wait another hour or two for your reply before I try this again.
Gene Lenz

That's not normal, it captures the whole screen. Maybe your paint session was zoomed in which gave the perception of 60%.

Maybe try:
1) Launch PD with your project and open the audio mixing room
2) tap the Windows key + Print Screen key. Your screen will briefly go dim to indicate that you've just taken a screenshot, and this screenshot will be automatically saved to your Pictures > Screenshots folder
These 2 steps create a picture of the entire screen and the picture is stored in your computer standard windows picture folder in subfolder Screenshots

From here you just need to attach this screenshot pic to your new forum post.
To do this:
1) When posting. click the "Attachments" button right below the message composition area
2) Click the "Choose File" button and then find the screen snapshot you saved earlier in Pictures > ScreenShots folder
3) Click "Open" once you find and select the snapshot.

Continue to finish posting your message with the standard Submit icon.

Jeff
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]

That's not normal, it captures the whole screen. Maybe your paint session was zoomed in which gave the perception of 60%.

Maybe try:
1) Launch PD with your project and open the audio mixing room
2) tap the Windows key + Print Screen key. Your screen will briefly go dim to indicate that you've just taken a screenshot, and this screenshot will be automatically saved to your Pictures > Screenshots folder
These 2 steps create a picture of the entire screen and the picture is stored in your computer standard windows picture folder in subfolder Screenshots

From here you just need to attach this screenshot pic to your new forum post.
To do this:
1) When posting. click the "Attachments" button right below the message composition area
2) Click the "Choose File" button and then find the screen snapshot you saved earlier in Pictures > ScreenShots folder
3) Click "Open" once you find and select the snapshot.

Continue to finish posting your message with the standard Submit icon.

Jeff

Jeff
Did try again to print screen.
Got thru Step 4 which is "Click on Paint in the Start menu to open the program. Click the "Paste" button in Paint.
Step 5. Says "click in top right of Paint and select Save. There was no Save to click on. ????

Other comment/questions.
If this can't be solved within Community forum, is there another form of assistance by Cyberlink? Such as the tech staff which are employed by Cyberlink. Would they be there to try and solve problems like this? If not, what do they do?
Gene Lenz
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Jeff
Did try again to print screen.
Got thru Step 4 which is "Click on Paint in the Start menu to open the program. Click the "Paste" button in Paint.
Step 5. Says "click in top right of Paint and select Save. There was no Save to click on. ????

Other comment/questions.
If this can't be solved within Community forum, is there another form of assistance by Cyberlink? Such as the tech staff which are employed by Cyberlink. Would they be there to try and solve problems like this? If not, what do they do?
Gene Lenz

I provided an alternate simple step that don't use Paint to try and help you out. However, simply click the X in the top right to close paint and it will ask you if you want to save, this is what the PDM instruction in 5 refers to.

You can always take out a ticket in CL support system but they will ask you for screen shot pic, dxdiag,....on and on, https://www.cyberlink.com/support/index.html

Jeff
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]

I provided an alternate simple step that don't use Paint to try and help you out. However, simply click the X in the top right to close paint and it will ask you if you want to save, this is what the PDM instruction in 5 refers to.

You can always take out a ticket in CL support system but they will ask you for screen shot pic, dxdiag,....on and on, https://www.cyberlink.com/support/index.html

Jeff

Followed your simpler instructions. Worked like a charm. Screenshot attached below.
Gene
[Thumb - Screenshot (1).png]
 Filename
Screenshot (1).png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
768 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
17 time(s)
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Followed your simpler instructions. Worked like a charm. Screenshot attached below.
Gene

Great job, you got it.

Yes, the pic explains it all. I had no idea you are using "Nested Projects" and to be honest, probably would have never guessed without some hints. That's what that orange pds is telling you. That whole string of names above the timeline EDPHxx are all nested pds files. Why are you using that? Nested Projects are not needed for any simple editing tasks and has messed many people up so I'd leave it to experienced editors.

To see how things should work:
1) go to file and start a "New Project"
2) import a video clip (File > Import > Media Files..."or use one of the sample clips if you have them loaded. Not a pds file, a true video clip
3) add video clip to timeline track 1
4) go to Audio Mixing Room and adjust audio as I indicated

Jeff
AVPlayVideo
Senior Contributor Location: Home Joined: Apr 06, 2016 19:03 Messages: 703 Offline
[Post New]

Followed your simpler instructions. Worked like a charm. Screenshot attached below.
Gene

Check in Settings, Preferences, Editing.
Set default insert Project behavior:
Select "As Expanded Project"
I checked the configuration; As Nested Project
And using the option "Insert Project"
There will be the timeline you showed.

To reopen a project use:
Open Project... or Open Recent Project...
see the image
[Thumb - expanded project.jpg]
 Filename
expanded project.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
186 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
10 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 29. 2021 13:38

Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]

Great job, you got it.

Yes, the pic explains it all. I had no idea you are using "Nested Projects" and to be honest, probably would have never guessed without some hints. That's what that orange pds is telling you. That whole string of names above the timeline EDPHxx are all nested pds files. Why are you using that? Nested Projects are not needed for any simple editing tasks and has messed many people up so I'd leave it to experienced editors.

To see how things should work:
1) go to file and start a "New Project"
2) import a video clip (File > Import > Media Files..."or use one of the sample clips if you have them loaded. Not a pds file, a true video clip
3) add video clip to timeline track 1
4) go to Audio Mixing Room and adjust audio as I indicated

Jeff

Great sense of relief from your answer. Some statements and questions below.
1. You say "I had no idea you are using Nested Projects". Neither did I. Can't recall one instance of seeing that term.
2. You say "orange pds is telling you". Never once realized the color meant something.
3. You say "whole string of names above timeline.....". Never once realized each one was a separate file. Refer to #4 below.
4. You say "start New Project". My intent is so limited. No more than one source file at a time. Is New Project still useful?
4. First question: Each one separate file? Always thought systems warned about use of duplicate names. Edit pgm doesn't?
5. Second question: Each one separate file? Geez...how many of them by now? Must be taking lots of disc space?
6. Third question: Each one separate file? Stored where? In space reserved by edit program? Or in W10 File Explorer space?
7. Fourth question: The one most concerning me. Does this mean the project must start again from beginning point?
8. Fifth question: Plan to edit in five phases. Edit file name EDPH01 means edit phase 01. Can I still use file name EDPH01.pds?
Thanks much, Jeff!
Gene