Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Thanks! Will give it a go.
Never mind. I found the color boards under media. Since I am new to PD, are there video tutorials on using pd, with finished sample video clips? One thing I like to do with some of my projects is to have four different videos enter the screen at the same time and then leave. Please advise.
After being a Corel Videostudio user for years, I made the jump to Powerdirector 12 and have Director 2 suite and I don't plan on returning to Corel. One thing I did on past video projects with videostudio was to put color objects in the timeline to make cool effects and to add beginning and ending credits to a video. I have searched all objects in PD and can't find blank color objects. I would assume they exist, right?
You and I are in the same boat Tony. The jury is still out on Windows 7. Question though...I went into the Apple Store and spent a few hours being shown a Mac and Final Cut Pro. I am not a professional by any means with video editng, but rather an enthusiast. The Mac people recommended a Mac Pro tower for what I want to do, using Final Cut Pro. What do you think? Do you think the new imacs can do the job well and fast?
I hear you Tony. I will be doing this on the PC side for a bit longer, because my next PC will be a Mac...switching over to the Mac platform, where everything else seems to work much smoother.

-Cheers

David
I am very familiar with the VideoStudio forum myself, and yes it does have certain issues. It also has a pan and zoom feature similar to Motion Path for creating slide shows with images. I personally don't see it loading any faster. It maybe renders a little faster though. I hope that while version 8 is being designed, they just are able to make a more STABLE program. I can't blame it on Vista, because I stuck with Windows XP.

-Cheers
After attempting to use PD for a video project comprised of family videos taken, it took me way to long to do this, with lots of aggravation. Programs such as video editing or photo editing software should provide an enjoyable, stress free experience for the end user. The end disc of mine was finally made, but not without many problems. It is time to have a version of PD that is actually worth paying for. The program gets corrupt and crashes far too many times. 1.) While editing a video in the timeline, the progam freezes up and shuts down. This has happened several times, and uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't help. 2.) I had to uninstall and reinstall the program because PD was freezing up at a certain point during the rendering process. Thank you Dafydd, that did fix the problem. 3.) When I went to burn a disc, I got error messages 3 times and waisted 3 dvd's. Creating a video folder and then using another program to burn to a disc did the trick. 4.) Unless a DVAVI is captured from a digital camcorder using PowerDirector, PowerDirector cannot read the data of the time and date of the video file. This is inexcusable. Corel VideoStudio is a much more solid and reliable program where I can edit videos no problem, render mpeg files no problem and then burn to a disc no problem, and I can load an AVI file in VideoStudio that was captured by PowerDirector and still see the date and time of the video taken. Plus, I have never had to uninstall and reinstall VideoStudio to have it work right. This is the 21st century and PowerDirector is anything but a new program. The only issues or suggestions that should have to be made are different features or user interface, not these issues. With all the prior versions and Known issues such as burning errors, it's time to get it right, or don't charge nearly the $$ you are charging for it. I think a version 8 is long past due, and should address these issues.
It did burn to a folder ok. What a buggy program.
Ok, This is my first go at using PD, and a very difficult road it has been. I finally have an mpeg file rendered. I want to now burn it onto a DVD. I am starting a new project in PD and loading the mpeg file in the timeline. I then select the chapter button to create all the chapter points I want. Then I select create disc. I select and customize my menu. The mpeg that I rendered has a bitrate of 5400 and is one hour 46 minutes long. Under Create Disc Preferences, I select Smart Fit, because I don't know if the 5400 bitrate falls into DVD LP, SP or HQ. I select a write speed of 8x. I am using verbatim dvd+r blank dvd's, and when I go to burn the project, somewhere after 70% I get a burn error with an error code. This has happened twice so far. What am I doing wrong??????????? Am I going about this the right way given what I want to accomplish? Again, I have created and burned many projects using VideoStudio, but really want to use PD. I ma using PD7 Ultra with the latest build.

Please Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ok, I tried rendering the whole project agian, not doing anything different, and it rendered successfully. This is the buggiest program I've ever used...very unstable...much more so than VideoStudio. It does have some cool effects though. Can Cyberlink please make a more stable program????????? I don't think that is too much to ask.
Uninstalling and reinstalling PD did the trick. But I am now having this Media Source Error. See my most recent post. By the way I am using PD7 Ultra with the most recent build 2726.
I wrote earlier about the rendering freezing at 10%. After uninstalling and reinstalling PD, it was fine, but somewhere in the middle of rendering, I get the message:
Media Source Error
Power Director failed to construct the media source as a graph. This may be due to a lack of decoding filters for the file you are trying to edit.

My timeline consists of a few DVAVI files and a few .MOV files that were taken with a point and shoot camera. Can someone please help me with this??!! My supposedly short family video project has turned into an endless mess.

Thanks in advance.
When I attempted to render it several times, I have enabled video playback, so I can see the video as I am rendering, and yes, it does freeze at the same point everytime. I have chosen to capture as an avi file from my camcorder instead of mpeg2 to get the best quality video produced.
OK, I have some more interesting info. I took the avi file and opened it up in virtual dub, and rendered it as an uncompressed avi file which took the original 12gb file and saved it as a 109gb file. I then loaded the 109gb avi file in the timeline, and rendering worked this time. The problem is that I will run out of disk space rapidly if I render a few avi files that are part of my video project. But I shouldn't have to take a captured video and have to render it before I load it into PD.
I just loaded another avi file in the timeline captured from my camcorder, and it froze rendering at 47%. What is the deal with PD7? By the way, I have 2.5 gb ram, and no probs with videostudio.
Well, I loaded the avi file that was the problem in the timeline of a new project, without any transitions, titles or anything. It froze in the same spot. I then loaded the same avi file in videostudio, and it rendered no problem. I did capture this particular avi file from my digital camcorder using videostudio. Do I have to capture an avi file from a camcorder with PD in order for me to render it? I am still baffled with this problem, and that makes me very leary of using the supposedly number one rated video editing program on the market.
I have PD7 and am trying to render an mpeg2 file. It renders fine until 10% and freezes at the same point. I have restaqrted my computer and have tried several times, where it happens every time. I then tried rendering an AVI file and it stopped at 4%. I am running XP Pro SP3 P4 3.4 GHZ procesor. I ultimately want to burn this on a DVD. I figured I would render an mpeg file first with all the editing, effects, transitions etc. and then open that rendered mpeg file to create the chapter menu etc. and burn to a DVD. I have been using Ulead Videostudio for years and have done it this way with no problems. This is my first go at it with PD. What is causing this, and am I doing anything wrong? Please help!!

Thanks for your help in advance.
Thank you again for this very informative info. What would you suggest for this scenario?
I captured an mpeg-2 file which I ripped from a VHS tape. The info for the video bitrate is 4000kbs. I am going to trim a little off the clip, then want to burn it to a DVD. When I select the produce stage for DVD, should I select svrt or dvd LP profile, or should I set a custom profile and set the video bitrate for 4000 and all the other properties the same as the mpeg file?

Also, is there a way to view/change if it's upper field first or lower field first?
Thank you. I am able to view the video properties now. But how do I create a customized profile for an mpeg2? I am a newbie to PD, but not a newbie to video editing.

The reason I am asking this is because I have been using Ulead videostudio for years, and my understanding with video rendering is that it is important to match all the video properties when burning to a dvd, such as video and audio bitrate etc. Matching these properties cuts down on the processing time and the amount of strain on the processor. The procedure that I have been following is that I import a video from my digital camcorder and save it as an .avi file. I then do all my editing and special effects, etc. Then, depending on the length, I save the video project as an mpeg file instead of burning directly to a dvd. I set the video bitrate to an appropriate value depending on the overall length of the video project so that it fits on a dvd. After the mpeg file is saved, I then select new project in video studio and open the mpeg file that I just saved. This is when I match all the video and audio properties of the mpeg file to the dvd that I am now burning. If PD7 works differently and I don't need to do it this way to avoid straining my system and to ensure error free rendering, I am all ears. I have a dell computer running XP, with a pentium IV 3.4ghz processor, 2.5 gb of ddr2 ram and an ATI x600 pro video card.
That does not give me the video bitrate. Isn't there a way to view this in PD7? Also, how do I customize the video bitrate for producing a DVD?
When I load an .avi or mpeg file into PD7, where can I access info such as this?
NTSC drop frame (29.97 fps)
MPEG files
24 bits, 720 x 480, 29.97 fps
Upper Field First
(DVD-NTSC), 4:3
Video data rate: Variable (Max. 4000 kbps)
Audio data rate: 224 kbps
MPEG audio layer 2, 48 KHz, Stereo

Also, how can I customize this info when I go to actually create a dvd, instead of choosing the 4 options in PD?

Thanks for your help in advance.
Go to: