Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Rendering stops at 10%
dpriest [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 07, 2008 13:51 Messages: 47 Offline
[Post New]
I have PD7 and am trying to render an mpeg2 file. It renders fine until 10% and freezes at the same point. I have restaqrted my computer and have tried several times, where it happens every time. I then tried rendering an AVI file and it stopped at 4%. I am running XP Pro SP3 P4 3.4 GHZ procesor. I ultimately want to burn this on a DVD. I figured I would render an mpeg file first with all the editing, effects, transitions etc. and then open that rendered mpeg file to create the chapter menu etc. and burn to a DVD. I have been using Ulead Videostudio for years and have done it this way with no problems. This is my first go at it with PD. What is causing this, and am I doing anything wrong? Please help!!

Thanks for your help in advance.
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
Your general approach is fine. Can you try importing the video timeline and rendering it to a different format without any editing? You want to identify if the source file is corrupt. I would also try editing and rendering a completely different file just to see what happens.

Another thing to consider is the amount of free space on your hard drive. You need to have about double the free space as the project requires. Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
dpriest [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well, I loaded the avi file that was the problem in the timeline of a new project, without any transitions, titles or anything. It froze in the same spot. I then loaded the same avi file in videostudio, and it rendered no problem. I did capture this particular avi file from my digital camcorder using videostudio. Do I have to capture an avi file from a camcorder with PD in order for me to render it? I am still baffled with this problem, and that makes me very leary of using the supposedly number one rated video editing program on the market.
dpriest [Avatar]
[Post New]
I just loaded another avi file in the timeline captured from my camcorder, and it froze rendering at 47%. What is the deal with PD7? By the way, I have 2.5 gb ram, and no probs with videostudio.
dpriest [Avatar]
[Post New]
OK, I have some more interesting info. I took the avi file and opened it up in virtual dub, and rendered it as an uncompressed avi file which took the original 12gb file and saved it as a 109gb file. I then loaded the 109gb avi file in the timeline, and rendering worked this time. The problem is that I will run out of disk space rapidly if I render a few avi files that are part of my video project. But I shouldn't have to take a captured video and have to render it before I load it into PD.
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
Your right, you can not expect to handle such large files and PD should be able to handle your original avi file. Can you capture your file as MPEG2 and use that format for your project? This way you will be able to bypass the avi rendering.

Does your avi files play properly in the timeline? Sometimes PD will hang when rendering if it doesn't like a certain part of the video. Next time when you try to render the original avi file, pay attention to the video time to see how far along in minutes and seconds it renders when it hangs. If it hangs go back to the timeline and remove all the video from the hang point onward. Try to see if that cut portion will render to completion.

This is a frustrating problem. Maybe someone else will have some ideas.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 13. 2009 08:39

Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
dpriest [Avatar]
[Post New]
When I attempted to render it several times, I have enabled video playback, so I can see the video as I am rendering, and yes, it does freeze at the same point everytime. I have chosen to capture as an avi file from my camcorder instead of mpeg2 to get the best quality video produced.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you James for your input on this one. The background information you asked for helps a lot here.

dpriest:
After reading your answers, my first impression is you have a corrupt avi file which PD is picking up on. Why haven't you edited out the corrupt part out and see if it renders?

What version of PD are you using? Look in Help > about and give the full build and version numbers.

What is your avi file - I'm guessing that you're using a DVavi?

I also have to point out that Video Editors can conflict. If you're jumping from one to the other this could be an issue especially if they're using shared Window drivers as these do.

Please uninstall and reinstall PD.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/2405.page
Subject: PowerDirector - information we request and tasks to carry out.
PART C

And then NOT use VS!

Dafydd

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at May 07. 2009 08:50

dpriest [Avatar]
[Post New]
Uninstalling and reinstalling PD did the trick. But I am now having this Media Source Error. See my most recent post. By the way I am using PD7 Ultra with the most recent build 2726.