Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
It's time for version 8!!
dpriest [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 07, 2008 13:51 Messages: 47 Offline
[Post New]
After attempting to use PD for a video project comprised of family videos taken, it took me way to long to do this, with lots of aggravation. Programs such as video editing or photo editing software should provide an enjoyable, stress free experience for the end user. The end disc of mine was finally made, but not without many problems. It is time to have a version of PD that is actually worth paying for. The program gets corrupt and crashes far too many times. 1.) While editing a video in the timeline, the progam freezes up and shuts down. This has happened several times, and uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't help. 2.) I had to uninstall and reinstall the program because PD was freezing up at a certain point during the rendering process. Thank you Dafydd, that did fix the problem. 3.) When I went to burn a disc, I got error messages 3 times and waisted 3 dvd's. Creating a video folder and then using another program to burn to a disc did the trick. 4.) Unless a DVAVI is captured from a digital camcorder using PowerDirector, PowerDirector cannot read the data of the time and date of the video file. This is inexcusable. Corel VideoStudio is a much more solid and reliable program where I can edit videos no problem, render mpeg files no problem and then burn to a disc no problem, and I can load an AVI file in VideoStudio that was captured by PowerDirector and still see the date and time of the video taken. Plus, I have never had to uninstall and reinstall VideoStudio to have it work right. This is the 21st century and PowerDirector is anything but a new program. The only issues or suggestions that should have to be made are different features or user interface, not these issues. With all the prior versions and Known issues such as burning errors, it's time to get it right, or don't charge nearly the $$ you are charging for it. I think a version 8 is long past due, and should address these issues.
babindia
Senior Contributor Location: India Joined: Aug 16, 2007 06:11 Messages: 884 Offline
[Post New]
dpriest
I too have video studio and it has its share of woes. Take a peek into their forum.

Coming back to PD. It loads faster than Video studio. Has motion path. PD users here are generally satisfied with its performance.

I suggest you uninstall PD 7.Run a disk cleanup, de-frag and install PD 7.

No software is or will be 100 % perfect. Softwares are made by humans. No human is perfect. Therefore one cannot create a perfect from an imperfect

And yes version 8 is on the drawing board

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at May 08. 2009 23:19

PC specs :
OS Windows 10.0 Pro
MB - AS rock Z77 extreme 11
Intel 3770K @ 4.0 Ghz OC
Gskill 32 GB RAM 1800 Mhz
6 TB HDD, SSD bootable
nVidia ASUS GTX 660 Ti
BenQ 22" LCD monitor 1920x1080

dpriest [Avatar]
[Post New]
I am very familiar with the VideoStudio forum myself, and yes it does have certain issues. It also has a pan and zoom feature similar to Motion Path for creating slide shows with images. I personally don't see it loading any faster. It maybe renders a little faster though. I hope that while version 8 is being designed, they just are able to make a more STABLE program. I can't blame it on Vista, because I stuck with Windows XP.

-Cheers
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi dpriest -

I don't think you'll get too many members of this forum disagreeing with you about getting a more stable version of PowerDirector. We'd all like it... so it's good that it's in development.

After reading Babdi's comment about the VS forum, I had a little look in the VS forum - correct - you don't have to look too hard to find (not dissimilar) issues and questions being raised. I haven't used Video Studio, so I can't comment there, but people's comments speak for themselves. Read some of Ken Barry's (moderator) comments... well - you would have done if you're familiar with it.

I hope, by now, you've been able to sort out your time/date issue with VS. There are, as Babdi said, limitations and shortfalls with everything. See that? You have a PC with great specs and some guy from Kansas tells you to "Get a much, more powerful system, dedicated to editing/encoding video, set up a special video editing hardware profile, where the only processes running are those absolutely necessary for video editing."

Everything is a compromise.

Cheers -

Tony

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
dpriest [Avatar]
[Post New]
I hear you Tony. I will be doing this on the PC side for a bit longer, because my next PC will be a Mac...switching over to the Mac platform, where everything else seems to work much smoother.

-Cheers

David
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Agreed David... my other one's a MAC &, even though it has a few years on it now, it's a great thing to work on. Without wishing to start up the tired old Mac vs PC debate, there's a lot to recommend the new iMacs for media editing.

Like you, I will continue to battle away with my XP Pro PC until either (a) WIN7 proves itself or (b) I can afford a new Mac.

All the best with it -

Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
dpriest [Avatar]
[Post New]
You and I are in the same boat Tony. The jury is still out on Windows 7. Question though...I went into the Apple Store and spent a few hours being shown a Mac and Final Cut Pro. I am not a professional by any means with video editng, but rather an enthusiast. The Mac people recommended a Mac Pro tower for what I want to do, using Final Cut Pro. What do you think? Do you think the new imacs can do the job well and fast?