Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How do I view video properties?
dpriest [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 07, 2008 13:51 Messages: 47 Offline
[Post New]
When I load an .avi or mpeg file into PD7, where can I access info such as this?
NTSC drop frame (29.97 fps)
MPEG files
24 bits, 720 x 480, 29.97 fps
Upper Field First
(DVD-NTSC), 4:3
Video data rate: Variable (Max. 4000 kbps)
Audio data rate: 224 kbps
MPEG audio layer 2, 48 KHz, Stereo

Also, how can I customize this info when I go to actually create a dvd, instead of choosing the 4 options in PD?

Thanks for your help in advance.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
dpriest,

Right mouse click on file > properties

Jeff
dpriest [Avatar]
[Post New]
That does not give me the video bitrate. Isn't there a way to view this in PD7? Also, how do I customize the video bitrate for producing a DVD?
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
dpriest,

Do the right mouse > properties on the file in PD7 NOT Windows.

1) import desired media file into PD7
2) right mouse click on file > properites

for a MPEG video you should see info with the following
Type: MPEG-2
Original duration: 00:28:26:10
Bitrate: 7.98 Mbps
Resolution: 720x480
Frame rate: 29.97 fps
Aspect Ratio: 16:9

If you are producing to a file, create your own profile for MPEG2 and set what video and audio properties you want. Several typicaly profiles provided.

If you are in Create DVD Disc, bitrate is controled by
DVD LP, 1750 avg, 3500 max
DVD SP, 3400 avg, 6800 max
DVD HQ, 8000 avg, 8300 max
Smart Fit, whatever to fit media

Jeff
dpriest [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you. I am able to view the video properties now. But how do I create a customized profile for an mpeg2? I am a newbie to PD, but not a newbie to video editing.

The reason I am asking this is because I have been using Ulead videostudio for years, and my understanding with video rendering is that it is important to match all the video properties when burning to a dvd, such as video and audio bitrate etc. Matching these properties cuts down on the processing time and the amount of strain on the processor. The procedure that I have been following is that I import a video from my digital camcorder and save it as an .avi file. I then do all my editing and special effects, etc. Then, depending on the length, I save the video project as an mpeg file instead of burning directly to a dvd. I set the video bitrate to an appropriate value depending on the overall length of the video project so that it fits on a dvd. After the mpeg file is saved, I then select new project in video studio and open the mpeg file that I just saved. This is when I match all the video and audio properties of the mpeg file to the dvd that I am now burning. If PD7 works differently and I don't need to do it this way to avoid straining my system and to ensure error free rendering, I am all ears. I have a dell computer running XP, with a pentium IV 3.4ghz processor, 2.5 gb of ddr2 ram and an ATI x600 pro video card.
[Post New]
I am a concurrent VideoStudio & PD user (although I favor PD now).

The flexibility to change encoding parameters is not there vis Video Studio, but what you tell me it is not a problem anyway.
If you were using mpeg footage to start with it might matter but as you are editing in DV codec then changing to mpeg2 for DVD, ALL video has to be re-encoded, irrelevant of the bitrate.
Your pc can handle it :
I would skip the create file step and burn to DVD using HQ setting (or smart fit if you are exceeding the 4.7 /8.5 Gb). The reason I suggest this is that I have seen more artifacts encoding to file than encoding to disc (this shouldn't be the case but is for my AVCHD files).
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
dpriest,

If your FINAL product is going to DVD and you want to create a HQ project and your digital footage is not HD I'd probably suggest the following approach. Keep in mind, every format that uses a codec has loss. Raw digital format is rather large but gives you more flexibility on how to produce latter to match you final project format. However, you would always have to render.

1) Use PD7 to capture the footage from your camera. Use the MPEG-2 Video, DVD-HQ profile. This captures at the bitrate discussed early for DVD HQ.
2) Import file into PD7 and play as you wish
3) PD7 has what they call SVRT. (read the docs or other posts here) Go to SVRT by Dir Chair > View > SVRT Information. Remember to set the profile there again to MPEG-2 DVD HQ. You will see that the video footage does not need to be rendered, I.e. you captured at HQ and your project is HQ so file processing will be minimized. Only the areas that you added features need to rendered.
4) If you change the SVRT profile to DVD SP you will see everything needs to be rendered. Captured at HQ bitrates but creating at SP bitrates.

To create a new profile in produce, go to Produce > Create a File > Next > select MPEG2 > select of default profile in the "Profile name/Quality box or to define your own hit the new icon, left most icon near the bottom of the window and define as desired.

Similar setup as above during capture. Go to Capture > profile button over on the right side near bottom of window and adjust to your desire.

Play around some, most of the menus are rather straight forward.

Jeff
dpriest [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you again for this very informative info. What would you suggest for this scenario?
I captured an mpeg-2 file which I ripped from a VHS tape. The info for the video bitrate is 4000kbs. I am going to trim a little off the clip, then want to burn it to a DVD. When I select the produce stage for DVD, should I select svrt or dvd LP profile, or should I set a custom profile and set the video bitrate for 4000 and all the other properties the same as the mpeg file?

Also, is there a way to view/change if it's upper field first or lower field first?