Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
I think I'm screwed

Quote The RTX 2080 was first sold in Sep. 20, 2018. Earlier driver before this may not install. One FB forum member is using the Nvidia Creator Ready Drivers. He claims a good increase in Rendering speed. See this article: https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2019/03/20/rtx-creator-ready-drivers-supercharge-apps/ . It works for videographers and photographers.

Thank you Tomas, this sounds good. I'll give it a try. Wish me luck.

It is possible that there is no integrated graphics in the AMD Ryzen-7 2700. See this post: https://www.quora.com/Do-the-new-AMD-Ryzen-have-integrated-graphics . The grahics connector on the motherboard would not work if this is the case.

This is quite embarrasing but it seems you are right. Since my motherboard has a hdmi port I assumed that it had an internal graphics card. But it doesn't and the Ryzen-7 chip does not provide graphics either.

There may be a solution for all this. Produce a small section of the timeline with a title. Repeat until all the titles are done. 30 titles on a two minute timeline should not take too long using this method.

But...but...I am hardly able to make the appropriate title without the program crashing...
The problems that I am having with PD17 (especially the Title Designer) are probably related to my Nvidia GeForce RTX2080 card and its drivers. I have searched this forum for possible solutions and suggestions regarding PD & Nvidia but I am getting more confused by the day. This morning I looked at the hardware acceleration option in PD and noticed that I had the option to turn CUDA on. Somewhere I read that this option should not be available anymore and was replaced by OpenCL a few years ago. Whether this is true or not - maybe I am misreading the info - I thought, let's remove and reinstall the graphics card. So I removed all the drivers and restarted Windows. It rebooted with a Nvidia driver installed dated with version number 25.21.14.1735 dated 12 november 2018.

I know there are newer drivers available but I don't know what to do anymore. In PD I now have the OpenCL option - CUDA has left the building. I do not have the Nvidia configuration screen to check and finetune settings if I wanted to. Which is weird because I thought this configuration app was always installed with the drivers.

I am lost. What should I do to get the optimum configuration with PD17 and my graphics card?

It is possible that all you have to do is to disconnect the monitor from the RTX 2080 and connect it to the motherboard graphics connector. Some bios have an auto setting.

Thanks, that was my idea too but my screen stayed black. There is a (very small) chance that I am doing something wrong. I'll try again later.

Then it's not the nVidia card. I don't know if the Ryzen has a built in GPU like Intel CPUs do, but to be 100% certain that it's not related to the nVidia card or the driver you're using, disable the RTX 2080 and use the system's monitor port. I expect you'll see the same slow behavior when working with titles.

I tried to do that but in the bios I can't find the option to select the buildin card (???) I can only select a pci slot. Maybe I am missing something because I am sure it should be possible, even when a pci card is inserted. My motherboard does have a buildin graphics card.

If you think it's the nVidia card, you can disable these 2 checkboxes:

They directly affect timeline editing, which is different from the choices presented when you produce the video.

I tried that but I don't notice any difference whatsoever.
Quote This is an issue that only seems to come up on high end machines, as you can see from this post.

In my experience, it has something to do with a browser being open (Edge in my case), and most of the untenable delays go away if I don't use a browser when I'm editing. I actually can open up Edge with PD17 running and do things there and then close it again, but it has to be closed when I'm actively editing or my neighbors hear screaming.

Thanks, but I completely disabled Edge (renamed the file name as I saw it constantly running in the background without me ever using it) but it doesn't make the problem go away. I suspect it has something to do with my Nvidia card & drivers as I have seen other users complain about rendering problems with nVidia cards. But on my old pc, which also had an nVidia card, it worked fine.

I only seem to have problems with the title editor. All the rest works fine and fast. I hope there is a solution otherwise my neighbours will hear screaming too. And the sound of my skull crushing against walls.
Quote So, this may not be a very popular comment, but I'll make it anyway. I think that sometimes, some people are trying to use PD as a professional grade piece of software. It isn't. It's a domestic product costing under $100. It's designed to make You Tube videos and family videos. I worked as a television Director for 16 years using professional versions of software like this...Avid, Lightworks etc. Those devices were dedicated boxes that only did one thing.......edit television and film productions, and they sometimes had issues. I think that if you're looking to make complex productions, you need to be evaluating a product better suited to your needs. Power Director isn't it. I've edited a bunch of corporate and family videos using PD17, and I've yet to have an issue. I honestly think that you're trying to drink champagne on a beer budget. Just my opinion.

Believe me, I have done way more complex projects with PD that were not nearly as problematic as this example. A buch of text layers - that's pretty much all I have used in this example - does not make 'a complex production'. Also, competitors' programs, free or cheaper, don't have any problems with titles & text. It is your assumption that PD "is designed to make YouTube videos and family videos." They don't say that on their product page and I believe they aim the usability of PD a bit higher than that. You have used PD for corporate videos and the result was (I hope) not similar to 'family videos'.
Look at this: all I did was press the 'home' key to go to the beginning of the clip. It took PD 1 minute and 12 sec. to process it...

If I don't edit my titles like this the program will crash. Not that this way does not result in crashes but the chances are much smaller. If you think I do this on a slow computer: I have a AMD Ryzen-7 2700, 32GB memory and a GeForce RTX2080...

PowerDirector. Such fun.
There must be a memory leak or something. I just let the program run for an hour without doing anything other than enjoying my dinner and when I came back this its memory consumption was more than 2.5GB and CPU at around 25%. Starting a new project does not release the surplus of memory.
I have a similar problem.

In my current project editing certain title elements makes the program freeze. Clicking on (or editing) a misbehaving title makes several other tracks disappear. See video https://youtu.be/ezJ3BKXFJrA This doesn't happen with all titles though.

I noticed that when I click this malfunctioning title my pc's processor keeps running on a relatively high load and the memory usage is also gradually increasing (see video). It starts at around 1.2GB but when I just wait and do nothing (one of my many qualities) the memory approaches 2GB. The program becomes sluggish in time and will crash when I try to edit a title. Replacing the title with a new one does not help. I have a high-end pc (AMD Ryzen-7 2700, 32GB memory, GeForce RTX2080) but my very low-end laptop has the same problem.

Since I have an AMD cpu I can't turn off hyperthreading. There is a similar option called SMT but turning that off doesn't solve the problem.

I don't use M$ Edge but I did notice it was running in the background so I killed it. Didn't solve my problem either. I contacted customer support.

Yes, I believe that is correct for how CL handled the change from the older amplitude adjustment to the dB adjustment. For a little history, see this old thread: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/30556.page#post_box_167687 etc

Thanks Jeff, that makes sense. It does not solve my problem but at least it explains the behavior of the program. I'd rather see a more refined way of entering the volume though. I have a track with narration and I want to add music in the backgrount to it. With -21.9dB I find the music just a little too loud and with -28dB too soft. Maybe my ears are too sensitive but the result in PD is not what I hoped for.

OK. Your system seems to be up-to-date, but the Windows Error Reports at the end of the report show several PD17 and even more Windows Defender crashes.

Since your problem is actually with PD, I'd suggest two things here: First, uninstall PD17, and then follow the steps listed in this post to see if Windows might be able to repair any damaged/corrupted system files.

Once that's done, reboot and the try reinstalling PD17 and see if that helps with the issue. If it's still present, you should contact Tech Support like Pauly G has done.

This didn't resolve my problem so I'll contact support.
I am having trouble adjusting the volume of a key frame in a audio clip. The volume is currently set at -28 and I am trying to set it to -26 but it keeps reverting to -28. When I set it at -24 it sets itself to -21.9! See video https://youtu.be/i5T2LQWCXj4. I'm baffled.

I think you can try this for yourself. Take the sample Skateboard.mp4 and try to put the volume somewhere at the track at -26dB. It might look as if the program is accepting that but jump 1 frame back and forth and you will see that it adjusted the volume to -28dB.

I have addessed this to support but the response has been...disappointing ("1. Check the minimum system requirements. 2. Update graphics card driver to the latest." etc. ; "May we know the exact action that you perform when adjusting the volume Keyframe Settings."; "Please be informed that there is an alternative way to use volume keyframes to mix an individual clip's audio in the timeline, Kindly hold down the Ctrl key on your keyboard and then click on the audio level line at the point where you want to change the audio level. Drag the volume keyframe up to increase the volume, or down to decrease the volume.") They don't seem willing to really check my problem, they don't try to reproduce the problem that I am having and come up with suggestions that are not in any way thought through.

I want to set the volume of a key frame at a value of for instance -24dB. But the program rounds it off at -21.9dB. The same with -26dB (goes to -28dB). Is it supposed to behave that way or not?

That may be a clue. Could you look at the << READ ME >> post at the top of the forum and post the DxDiag results of your laptop?

Pauly G, it would be helpful if you could do that as well to see if there might be a driver issue here.

Like everyone else on this thread, I have no problems viewing Pauly G's clip in PD or CD. I've produced it to WMV and HEVC, and it would be interesting if either of you saw the same artifacts when using a different codec. Both files are in this OneDrive folder for downloading.

Here is mine. I'l have a look at the files on your OneDrive.
I have - more or less - the same problem but with PowerDirector 17. When I export a video (or edit it in ColorDirector) the colors are much brighter than they are while I am editing it in PD. What is interesting though is that the file that PD generated (the one with the hideous colors) does not show up with these colors in the preview thumbnails (the part where your media is listed) but it does show these colors in the preview screen when I click the thumbnail (see picture).

When I put the file with the hideous colors on the timeline the preview screen shows it with 'dull' colors. So somewhere with the thumbnails as well as with the preview screen something is not going as it should.

The good news however is that I only have this problem on my cheap laptop that has a intel HD 620 graphics card and not on my desktop that has a more sophisticated nvidia card. So maybe the intel card or driver might be the problem.
Go to: