Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
The frustrating behavior of the Title Designer
Harmen [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 01, 2018 15:29 Messages: 37 Offline
[Post New]

If I don't edit my titles like this the program will crash. Not that this way does not result in crashes but the chances are much smaller. If you think I do this on a slow computer: I have a AMD Ryzen-7 2700, 32GB memory and a GeForce RTX2080...

PowerDirector. Such fun.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 07. 2019 07:53

Harmen [Avatar]
[Post New]
Look at this: all I did was press the 'home' key to go to the beginning of the clip. It took PD 1 minute and 12 sec. to process it...

TDK1044 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 11, 2019 12:27 Messages: 130 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Look at this: all I did was press the 'home' key to go to the beginning of the clip. It took PD 1 minute and 12 sec. to process it...

So, this may not be a very popular comment, but I'll make it anyway. I think that sometimes, some people are trying to use PD as a professional grade piece of software. It isn't. It's a domestic product costing under $100. It's designed to make You Tube videos and family videos. I worked as a television Director for 16 years using professional versions of software like this...Avid, Lightworks etc. Those devices were dedicated boxes that only did one thing.......edit television and film productions, and they sometimes had issues. I think that if you're looking to make complex productions, you need to be evaluating a product better suited to your needs. Power Director isn't it. I've edited a bunch of corporate and family videos using PD17, and I've yet to have an issue. I honestly think that you're trying to drink champagne on a beer budget. Just my opinion.
Harmen [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote So, this may not be a very popular comment, but I'll make it anyway. I think that sometimes, some people are trying to use PD as a professional grade piece of software. It isn't. It's a domestic product costing under $100. It's designed to make You Tube videos and family videos. I worked as a television Director for 16 years using professional versions of software like this...Avid, Lightworks etc. Those devices were dedicated boxes that only did one thing.......edit television and film productions, and they sometimes had issues. I think that if you're looking to make complex productions, you need to be evaluating a product better suited to your needs. Power Director isn't it. I've edited a bunch of corporate and family videos using PD17, and I've yet to have an issue. I honestly think that you're trying to drink champagne on a beer budget. Just my opinion.

Believe me, I have done way more complex projects with PD that were not nearly as problematic as this example. A buch of text layers - that's pretty much all I have used in this example - does not make 'a complex production'. Also, competitors' programs, free or cheaper, don't have any problems with titles & text. It is your assumption that PD "is designed to make YouTube videos and family videos." They don't say that on their product page and I believe they aim the usability of PD a bit higher than that. You have used PD for corporate videos and the result was (I hope) not similar to 'family videos'.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
This is an issue that only seems to come up on high end machines, as you can see from this post.

In my experience, it has something to do with a browser being open (Edge in my case), and most of the untenable delays go away if I don't use a browser when I'm editing. I actually can open up Edge with PD17 running and do things there and then close it again, but it has to be closed when I'm actively editing or my neighbors hear screaming.
Harmen [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote This is an issue that only seems to come up on high end machines, as you can see from this post.

In my experience, it has something to do with a browser being open (Edge in my case), and most of the untenable delays go away if I don't use a browser when I'm editing. I actually can open up Edge with PD17 running and do things there and then close it again, but it has to be closed when I'm actively editing or my neighbors hear screaming.

Thanks, but I completely disabled Edge (renamed the file name as I saw it constantly running in the background without me ever using it) but it doesn't make the problem go away. I suspect it has something to do with my Nvidia card & drivers as I have seen other users complain about rendering problems with nVidia cards. But on my old pc, which also had an nVidia card, it worked fine.

I only seem to have problems with the title editor. All the rest works fine and fast. I hope there is a solution otherwise my neighbours will hear screaming too. And the sound of my skull crushing against walls.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thanks, but I completely disabled Edge (renamed the file name as I saw it constantly running in the background without me ever using it) but it doesn't make the problem go away. I suspect it has something to do with my Nvidia card & drivers as I have seen other users complain about rendering problems with nVidia cards. But on my old pc, which also had an nVidia card, it worked fine.

I only seem to have problems with the title editor. All the rest works fine and fast. I hope there is a solution otherwise my neighbours will hear screaming too. And the sound of my skull crushing against walls.

If you think it's the nVidia card, you can disable these 2 checkboxes:

They directly affect timeline editing, which is different from the choices presented when you produce the video.
Harmen [Avatar]
[Post New]

If you think it's the nVidia card, you can disable these 2 checkboxes:

They directly affect timeline editing, which is different from the choices presented when you produce the video.

I tried that but I don't notice any difference whatsoever.
optodata
[Post New]
Quote I tried that but I don't notice any difference whatsoever.

Then it's not the nVidia card. I don't know if the Ryzen has a built in GPU like Intel CPUs do, but to be 100% certain that it's not related to the nVidia card or the driver you're using, disable the RTX 2080 and use the system's monitor port. I expect you'll see the same slow behavior when working with titles.
Harmen [Avatar]
[Post New]

Then it's not the nVidia card. I don't know if the Ryzen has a built in GPU like Intel CPUs do, but to be 100% certain that it's not related to the nVidia card or the driver you're using, disable the RTX 2080 and use the system's monitor port. I expect you'll see the same slow behavior when working with titles.

I tried to do that but in the bios I can't find the option to select the buildin card (???) I can only select a pci slot. Maybe I am missing something because I am sure it should be possible, even when a pci card is inserted. My motherboard does have a buildin graphics card.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I tried to do that but in the bios I can't find the option to select the buildin card (???) I can only select a pci slot. Maybe I am missing something because I am sure it should be possible, even when a pci card is inserted. My motherboard does have a buildin graphics card.

It is possible that all you have to do is to disconnect the monitor from the RTX 2080 and connect it to the motherboard graphics connector. Some bios have an auto setting.
Harmen [Avatar]
[Post New]

It is possible that all you have to do is to disconnect the monitor from the RTX 2080 and connect it to the motherboard graphics connector. Some bios have an auto setting.

Thanks, that was my idea too but my screen stayed black. There is a (very small) chance that I am doing something wrong. I'll try again later.
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote My motherboard does have a buildin graphics card.

It is possible that there is no integrated graphics in the AMD Ryzen-7 2700. See this post: https://www.quora.com/Do-the-new-AMD-Ryzen-have-integrated-graphics . The grahics connector on the motherboard would not work if this is the case.

There may be a solution for all this. Produce a small section of the timeline with a title. Repeat until all the titles are done. 30 titles on a two minute timeline should not take too long using this method.
Harmen [Avatar]
[Post New]

It is possible that there is no integrated graphics in the AMD Ryzen-7 2700. See this post: https://www.quora.com/Do-the-new-AMD-Ryzen-have-integrated-graphics . The grahics connector on the motherboard would not work if this is the case.

This is quite embarrasing but it seems you are right. Since my motherboard has a hdmi port I assumed that it had an internal graphics card. But it doesn't and the Ryzen-7 chip does not provide graphics either.

There may be a solution for all this. Produce a small section of the timeline with a title. Repeat until all the titles are done. 30 titles on a two minute timeline should not take too long using this method.

But...but...I am hardly able to make the appropriate title without the program crashing...

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at May 09. 2019 03:44

optodata
[Post New]

But...but...I am hardly able to make the appropriate title without the program crashing...

If you're willing to share your project with us, go to File then Pack project materials... and save the project to a cloud folder, then paste the link to it here.

One thing that will do is allow other people to see if there might be anything unusual with the project itself, and we'd also see if any of the abysmal performance issues occur on machines besides your own.

The other benefit is that we could break the tiles up into smaller chunks and send them back to you, which would let you reassemble them piece by piece. Basically, you'd offload the nearly impossible task and then see how PD performs with fewer demands.
Harmen [Avatar]
[Post New]

If you're willing to share your project with us, go to File then Pack project materials... and save the project to a cloud folder, then paste the link to it here.

One thing that will do is allow other people to see if there might be anything unusual with the project itself, and we'd also see if any of the abysmal performance issues occur on machines besides your own.

The other benefit is that we could break the tiles up into smaller chunks and send them back to you, which would let you reassemble them piece by piece. Basically, you'd offload the nearly impossible task and then see how PD performs with fewer demands.

I have placed the PPP (Packed Problematic Project) here https://1drv.ms/f/s!AscgKDwPY-Pdggp1Z9UUXIWkEbgA .

Wthat happens is that I can't even click a clip wothout PD acting erratic - the background (1st track) doesn't show up in the preview, or other leayers don't show, and more important: PD keeps running at around 10% of the CPU and gradually buils up to a mem usage of more than 2GB. It gets sluggish and will sooner or later crash.

For instance, there is dus title with the number 50 in it. When I click it only a few layers are showing in the proview and PD is keeping itself busy. And by know I have learned that when PD is budy (=CPU above 6%) I shouldn't do anything because it will most likely make the program crash.

I am very curious if you will also have this problem. My laptop which has an Intel graphics processor gave the same problems.
optodata
[Post New]
Thanks very much for sharing this!

I didn't see the missing track or crash issues that you described, but since my system is similarly afffected by gawdawful lags when working with lots of titles, it is very slow to respond. I have some screen recordings showing just how slow my 8-core/16-thread CPU is with this project, but I'd like to focus more on workarounds to help you get back to editing.

In this OneDrive folder, there are 3 new projects and a produced version of your track 1 and 2 clips without any titles. When you open the projects, you may need to point PD to where your original clips are located since I didn't want to pack them again on my side.

Rev1 has the first 2 sets of titles combined into just 2 title tracks. On my system, previewing them is somewhat quicker than in the original project where the contents were in 5 or 6 separate tracks.

Rev2 gets rid of the edited content on tracks 1 and 2 and replaces it with a produced version of the same content. On my machine, this eliminates almost all of the terrible performance, even though the titles are in the original configuration.

Rev3 combines the above projects, so it's a produced clip along with condensed titles, and this gives me the best performance.

One other thing I found was that if I changed the preview mode from Real-time to non Real-time, playback was much quicker (although still a little slower than actual speed), even in your original project. You can't hear audio in non Real-time mode, but it may be a good choice for editing when you don't need to have sound.

Please give these revised projects a test drive and let us know which ones (if any) improve your system's performance.
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
I did have a chance today to view Harmen’s pack project. Made a screen recording to show the responsiveness of the project on my pc. It seems to be okay with an internet browser open and running. They are up now on my YT channel. PM sent.
Harmen [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Thanks very much for sharing this!

I didn't see the missing track or crash issues that you described, but since my system is similarly afffected by gawdawful lags when working with lots of titles, it is very slow to respond. I have some screen recordings showing just how slow my 8-core/16-thread CPU is with this project, but I'd like to focus more on workarounds to help you get back to editing.

In this OneDrive folder, there are 3 new projects and a produced version of your track 1 and 2 clips without any titles. When you open the projects, you may need to point PD to where your original clips are located since I didn't want to pack them again on my side.

Rev1 has the first 2 sets of titles combined into just 2 title tracks. On my system, previewing them is somewhat quicker than in the original project where the contents were in 5 or 6 separate tracks.

Rev2 gets rid of the edited content on tracks 1 and 2 and replaces it with a produced version of the same content. On my machine, this eliminates almost all of the terrible performance, even though the titles are in the original configuration.

Rev3 combines the above projects, so it's a produced clip along with condensed titles, and this gives me the best performance.

One other thing I found was that if I changed the preview mode from Real-time to non Real-time, playback was much quicker (although still a little slower than actual speed), even in your original project. You can't hear audio in non Real-time mode, but it may be a good choice for editing when you don't need to have sound.

Please give these revised projects a test drive and let us know which ones (if any) improve your system's performance.

Thank you so much for doing this. I'll play with it this weekend and let you know which file works best for me.

Meanwhile I am still struggling with laggy PD - I added a new track to the whole main project (with a small logo in the lower left corner) PD gecame really slow. When I click a track I sometimes have to wait 20 minutes before I can take the next step...argh.
Harmen [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I did have a chance today to view Harmen’s pack project. Made a screen recording to show the responsiveness of the project on my pc. It seems to be okay with an internet browser open and running. They are up now on my YT channel. PM sent.

Thanks Tomas. I do notice that in your case not all tracks are always showing in the preview when you click on the title elements. That is the same problem that I am having, apart from the laggy and crashy behavior.