Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
I'm looking for ways to more quickly apply fades:

I normally double click a video in the timeline and activate fade-in/fade-out and change the duration.
New in PD12 is that these are "remembered" as KeyFrame attributes now so I can select all other videos after setting only the fade settings of one video and apply them. Pity is that for different lengths it applies the opacity settings exactly at the same spot of the original video which is only an issue at the end of each video of course. It helps to quickly set a fade-in but the fade-out needs work.

I also noticed when you paste the keyframe fades to another video and double click it, the fade-in/fade-outs are not checked in the window. Must be a bug?

So concretely:

- How can I set a fade-in/fade-out in one video with a certain duration and copy that to all other video's with only one or very few commands if that's possible? Or what type of transition will give me an identical result?

Thanks for your replies!
I sometimes have crashes in PD12. This mostly happens when:

- there are more then 2 video's active in the timeline and I have my setting to preview HD or Full HD;
- when double clicking a video to open the edit window.

I think this has something to do with the speed of the harddisk(s) where PD12 can't read quick enough? What are your experiences and opinions about that?

So how do you optimize your PC to improve performance and stability of PD12?

When my 2TB drive was new and didn't contain as much data as it does now it was (probably) quicker and I didn't have any crashes. I have a GTX660 and this improved the stability a lot too but currently I again get frequent crashes. Note that this was happening in PD11 also.

Concrete questions:

1. What typeof harddisk will really improve the speed of PD12? SSD to store the video's? I use an SSD for my boot/win7 drive.
2. How about a strategy with multiple drives? With music production I use 3 for instance: 1 for program files, one for project files and one for more static files like samples. Would that be a way to speed up/stabilize things?
I have crashes too and these often occur:

- when double clicking a video to open the edit window.
- when there are more then 2 video's active in the timeline and I have my setting to preview HD or Full HD

I think this has something to do with the speed of the harddisk(s) where PD12 can't read quick enough? What are your experiences and opinions about that?

When my 2TB drive was new and didn't contain as much data as it does now it was (probably) quicker and I didn't have any crashes. I have a GTX660 and this improved the stability a lot too but currently I again get frequent crashes. Note that this was happening in PD11 also.

Concrete questions:

1. What typeof harddisk will really improve the speed of PD12? SSD to store the video's? I use an SSD for my boot/win7 drive.
2. How about a strategy with multiple drives? With music production I use 3 for instance: 1 for program files, one for project files and one for more static files like samples. Would that be a way to speed up/stabilize things?

Indeed, not sure if this is covered in the manual?
Quote: After putting Sharpen onto the video track (and with that track highlighted), look at the menu choices right above the timeline and select Effect. You can sharpen it there, and there are also some presets in the lower left.

Great, yes that helps. Thanks Kevin!
Rob,

AFAIK this only works when dropping the NB sharpen on the Fx track. When dropping the NB sharpen on a video track I can't find how to change if afterwards? What I did see that there was a green line added to the video. It mentioned opacity so that's why I thought it was just the normal line for applying fades.
I can indeed drag the NB sharpen onto the video track. I don't see however how I can change the amount then?
I have PD12 Ultra which doesn't include NB PIP effect if I'm correct? I already fixed it by removing all the elements instead of the PIP from the project, adding the NB Sharpen and producing a video which I imported back into the original project.
I have multiple video's in my timeline playing simultaneously where a detail video is showing smaller (resized) in the top right. I use a mask to hide the aspects I don't want to show. My client asked me if I can show a part of the detail video zoomed in as another video showing in the bottom right which is not that hard. I noticed that when zooming in via power tools that the image becomes blurry and should be a little sharper.

So can I apply the NewBlueFX sharpen to the PIP in the bottom right only?

I can also create a new project with the detail video zoomed in only and apply the sharpening in there and then add these videos back into the project which might be quicker?
Thanks!
Hi,

I've been using PD11 for a while now and it's working great. I'm using repetitive tasks and I wonder if these can be automated:

- I almost always use identical fade ins/outs on video's, images etc. Can I automate those? Like load it as a template, set is as default fade in/fade length?
- The playback window (preview) can be set to Fragment or Film (movie). Can this be set to default to movie, it now defaults to Film?
- There are a few masks that have blurry edges. These are sometimes too small for certain images. How do you create the blurry edges? I've created mask files before so that's not a problem, just wondering how to create blurry edges?
- When setting the volume on sound files the set value is often not correct. It can be higher or lower so I always need to check the value. This seems like a bug to me?

Cheers,

Harry
Cheers Jim!
Just wanted to let you know that I've updated my i7 2600k PC with a GA-Z68X-UD5-B3 motherboard and 16Gb 1600 memory from a Radeon HD 5450 to a ASUS Geforce GTX 660 DCII Top nVidia graphics card and I'm pretty satisfied with it. Much quicker editing and rendering, stable PC without PD11 hanging all the time and also nice and quiet. Latest driver seems pretty stable too.
All in all a good decision to invest in this graphics card.

Cheers,

Harry
The sync issues are mainly caused by YT itself. Probably when it's still processing it has issues with syncing audio and video.
Hi,

I've used PD11 for a while now and just switched to a new method of recording with a new Canon 60D and an iPad Retina.
I track both at 25fps (PAL) and track my (guitar) audio via a talk MIC and the Axe FX II into Cubase 7 from which I export as WAV 24 bits.

Previously I recorded the output of my guitar and talk MIC directly onto a Zoom Q3HD so audio and video were in the same file already. In that case I didn't notice any sync issues on YouTube.

With my new method I end up having 2 video files (Overview of Canon 60D, detail view (iPad) and an audio file that has the output MIC and guitar. The video's have audio too but I only use that for syncing. I use the automatic beat detection to set markers and split the files at the point where the audio should start. I do that will all 3 files and align the starting points which results in a good sync.

In the preview of PD11 it's looking good and synced. I normally export to MP4 format (Full HD standard preset in PD11). I also created a Full HD export to MOV format (standard profile) for testing purposes. The mp4 plays correctly in VLC and QuickTime.

I uploaded the mp4 to YouTube and from about 2 minutes it has a sync problem. This video has 3 separate parts (the description I gave of the files I have (overview, detail and audio only) are repeated three times. Basically an introduction performance, introduction talk and a detail performance.

- What export settings do you use for YouTube 1080p videos? YouTube always mentions that I'm not using correct settings and wants me to upload in H264 and AAC format.
- Are there things I can check/change in PD11?
- I read somewhere that the audio format can be of influence too? What files types do you render to for importing into PD11?

Thanks for your replies!
No problem Jim. I hope there are others that can share their experiences?
Hi James,

I can't find the 560 ti in the Netherlands anymore. They do sell the 650 ti. This one has 2 fans.
How is the noise level of the 560 ti?

Cheers!
Hi,

I've started overclocking my PC with an i7 2600K to 44x and noticed the stability of the system was not good anymore. The performance of PD11 increased a lot but I got spontanious hangs in PD11, Cubase 7 and my RME fireface (driver) somehow also started hanging. So I decreased to 40x OC and want to check the coming week if this stabilizes the system.

So what I noticed is that the basic editing experience in PD11 is not relying very much on the graphics card but mostly on the CPU. OC-ing helps a lot to increase the editing/preview speed.
By setting the OC to 40x the performance has decreased somewhat so I'm now considering again to upgrade my Radeon HD 5450 to the fastest silent card or an active one which is not too pricey.

The fastest silent card I can find ATM is the Radeon HD 7750. I'm also considering the GTX 650 Ti which is active.
The reason I'd prefer a passive card is that I'm also recording in the same room which is probably going to get less likely to work when I add 35-50dB of noise when adding an active card.

So can someone please share their experiences with different graphics cards and how they influence the editing speed/behaviour in the PD11 timeline (editor). I don't mind if the rendering takes a little while longer since it's mostly done in 5-10 min anyway.

I prefer setting the preview in PD11 to Full HD/Realtime so that's the setting I'd like to use as a starting point. At what level will a graphics card stop adding speed to the previewing in PD11?

Thanks for your replies!

Cheers,

Harry
A quick update: I have OC-ed the I7-2600k to 44x now and it improved the working with PD11 significantly. I didn't upgrade the video card and dont think it's really necessary.

Only issues I have now is that PD11 occasionally freezes when opening a video for editing. The edit window appears but I can't use any controls in the edit window?
My PC is stable for all other programs and remains stable after I kill PD11 from the task manager. I can restart PD11 and work on the project again. So there's no overheating or anything else causing this.
Any idea how to get some more insight on why PD11 hangs?
Quote: I don't have a graphics card. The graphics adapter is on the CPU. Something new to me.

I don't know how many PD users are using which cards.

Clear. I'd like to know:

- Who prefers nVidia over AMD and why?
- Is the performance of nVidia or AMD in PD11 better optimizable?
- Or doesn't it make much differenc?

If it doesn't make much difference I can get a Gigabyte GTX 660 which is cheaper.

Cheers,

Harry
Thanks xerox. Do most PD users use AMD or nVidia cards? So in your case the HD 7870 would be a good choice for me?
Go to: