Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Fastest silent GFX card or active?
Harry Maes [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 25, 2013 04:38 Messages: 48 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I've started overclocking my PC with an i7 2600K to 44x and noticed the stability of the system was not good anymore. The performance of PD11 increased a lot but I got spontanious hangs in PD11, Cubase 7 and my RME fireface (driver) somehow also started hanging. So I decreased to 40x OC and want to check the coming week if this stabilizes the system.

So what I noticed is that the basic editing experience in PD11 is not relying very much on the graphics card but mostly on the CPU. OC-ing helps a lot to increase the editing/preview speed.
By setting the OC to 40x the performance has decreased somewhat so I'm now considering again to upgrade my Radeon HD 5450 to the fastest silent card or an active one which is not too pricey.

The fastest silent card I can find ATM is the Radeon HD 7750. I'm also considering the GTX 650 Ti which is active.
The reason I'd prefer a passive card is that I'm also recording in the same room which is probably going to get less likely to work when I add 35-50dB of noise when adding an active card.

So can someone please share their experiences with different graphics cards and how they influence the editing speed/behaviour in the PD11 timeline (editor). I don't mind if the rendering takes a little while longer since it's mostly done in 5-10 min anyway.

I prefer setting the preview in PD11 to Full HD/Realtime so that's the setting I'd like to use as a starting point. At what level will a graphics card stop adding speed to the previewing in PD11?

Thanks for your replies!

Cheers,

Harry
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I have been using the Geforce 560ti on my i7 2600@3.4Gh processor with the latest whql drivers with no problems from Pd11. the speed is sufficient for me and I have experimented with 3D creation.
The only problem I have (pd11 stops working) is if I do any workk in CorelDraw X3 or PhotoPaint X3 ( i believe these two programs do not release services they use) but after reboot pd works great.
JIm Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
Harry Maes [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi James,

I can't find the 560 ti in the Netherlands anymore. They do sell the 650 ti. This one has 2 fans.
How is the noise level of the 560 ti?

Cheers!
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I can't tell as I suffer from severe hearing loss,, any audio adjustments I rely on an amplified headphone and that is misleading to a normal person...sorry..
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
Harry Maes [Avatar]
[Post New]
No problem Jim. I hope there are others that can share their experiences?