Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Greetings again
My computer has started crashing in the video editing process - both when I first drag the clip onto the timeline (multiple times today) and before then, it was slowing down, sticking and crashing when trying to edit multi-cam video.

So I spent past 2 days archiving and deleting files. I have gotten msgs saying I need to update Quicktime, altho I don't understand why since I only use PowerDirector or Windows Media to view. I don't watch videos other than what I create, except occasionally on Youtube. I thought I had upgraded everything just last Fall.

I did just upload the Dec upgrade for PDR13 but still crashing. I have 1.16 TB free space. Couldn't figure out how to save the event log as a text - this was the one marked Critical.

Please advise if you need additional information.
Thanks,
Tina9999
Dafyyd - Bevan: many thanks for forwarding and suggestions, will try them out and check back in if questions. I did purchase the PD13 as an upgrade from PD12, but am still having crashes today. I will check to see if any Upgrades available, altho I thot it was a very new release, so didn't expect any yet. Didn't know I should save to different titles, only was occasionally doing that. Had my auto-save at 10 mins, but will see if I can set for more often. Guess it's time to purchase more new SD cards, THANKS!

Prizm: really appreciate your insight into talking over audio, as I wasn't sure whether any editing might dilute the actual music. My bf musician is going to see if he can attach the recorder to a tall mic stand, or I might purchase one to attach the recorder and place high up and away from chatterers. At one outdoor location there was a tree branch, and at one club there's a high ledge, but the chatter still takes over.
The Modify function allows black out Fades, it's just it would be great if I could auto-insert in front of every clip, like I could with Roxio.

Many thanks to both of you! Tina9999
Greetings PD13 forum!
I film and create 30 min to 1 hr videos of live events weekly for public access tv & Youtube, as an unpaid prosumer level videographer. Because I do this so often, any features to cut my editing time will be greatly appreciated!

Was pretty excited to upgrade to PD13 until I ran into issues... After reading some other feedback, I almost reverted to PD12 but really appreciate the multi-cam syncing feature. Rather than create PD14, it would be lovely just to see some fixes so I don't have to purchase a new version again.
Here's my issues, questions and requests for improvement:

CRASHING: When my computer started crashing it didn't seem to matter what I was doing at the moment. I finally figured out maybe I should delete PD12, which helped, but it's still crashing, just not as often. I have plenty of space on this relatively new super computer and have 2 fans on it.

To improve: a. Can instructions be listed to delete former versions when uploading the new version? I wasn't sure if I needed to or if the new version needed to see the old one to qualify for the Upgrade version.
b. There is no error code posted after it crashes, just a pop up box to send my email and issue to Cyberlink. I am no fan of error codes since it takes a forum visit to find out what they mean. Can a simple explanatory phrase be sent out upon crashes so maybe we can figure out why?
c. Sometimes I get an option to recover to the unsaved file. Sure would be nice if that was always! I do save often, but it's pretty disheartening when I have to repeat my work.

MESSAGES: Spelling: To improve: Really threw me for a loop to see Alreay (already) message pop up! I had to wonder if spell check is used by Cyberlink software developers! This is part of the message that pops up when I am selecting a Video Folder to edit from, and there is "Alreay" a PDS file in the folder. Not sure why it matters that there is a PDS file in the folder...

AUDIO: Syncing: Tried to auto sync my audio wav file from my Tascam digital recorder with footage from 2 cameras, but can't seem to do that.

To improve: a. Please let us sync stand alone audio tracks to multi-cam (and single cam) shoots! (as mentioned in another thread)
b. Old issue, but bears fixing: if wav is best audio format for syncing, please state so somewhere rather than just in a forum. I spent many months trying to figure out why the mp3 audio that had been emailed to me was not syncing up.
c. The program keeps trying to place one of my clips in the wrong position, so it needs to be fixed to always sync correctly.
d. Please add Audio Sync to the Editing Button, rather than hiding it in a key function. I didn't even know it was an option until I took time to watch the Multi-Cam tutorial.
e. Please make a separate Youtube Tutorial on Audio syncing, which I kept searching for, ended up checking out the Multi-Cam tutorial since I was also doing that for the first time and found it there.

AUDIO: stutter: For some reason, my Sony NEX FS-100U videocam stopped and re-started in the middle of several tunes. Since it was on a tripod and I was filming with a handheld, I didn't know until I looked at the footage. When I place the clips together, the visual is seamless, but the audio stops for a beat, then resumes.

To improve: a. Some way to fix the audio so it doesn't stutter.

AUDIO: voices: At recent concerts, I was told by sound board techs that I will get a better mix if I don't plug my Tascam digital recorder into their sound board. Fine, but because there was no place to place the recorder totally away from people, I put it on their board. Then the sound techs talked, loudly!, throughout most of the concert, which intruded onto my audio feed. I ended up canning that audio and used audio from my camera mic, but it's not as good quality.

To improve: a. Create an option to remove extraneous voices. The noise reduction, hiss, clicking, etc do not do that.

TRANSITIONS: When I film live bands, I prefer a clean black out in between each song, rather than the fancy fades offered.

To improve: a. So many options for transitions, most of which I would never use! Please add one for a simple black in for both the visual and audio tracks, not under Modify but as an actual Transition option.
b. Is it possible to have a button (or is there already a way?) to just automatically insert this black out to the beginning and end of each clip?

MENUS: The public access tv stations I film for require no Menus. So I never use any of the cutesy menus offered.

To improve: a. A way to set my preferred settings for disc creation with no menus, so I don't have to manually select that every time. Or is there already a way?

If some of these suggestions for improvement are already features I just haven't figured out yet, please advise! I only just got the program so am still learning "on the job".

Many thanks to anyone who takes the time to read all of this...
Tina9999
Thanks! Took me a while to figure out how to convert mp3 to wav, but I did and that was the fix. No more mp3s for me!
Tina9999
Greetings once again
I've visited this forum before with another computer, and as a result realized I shouldn't be editing video on a laptop. So, now I have a new computer (see specs below) and the PD12 Ultimate Suite with latest updates.

I have been trying to sync an mp3 from a sound engineer with my video of a live band. I shot it in avchd 1980x1020/60i with a relatively new Sony NEX FS100 videocamera with Audiotechnica mic. When I Save, because I have it in sync, and then go back to it afterwards, it will then be out of sync so I have to start all over again.

It's been hard enough to match up my waves with the mp3. It doesn't always look the same, since it was "improved" for sound quality of the band. But now this is making me lose faith that I'll ever be able to finish this project.

I can't seem to find another issue like this in the Forum. Please advise before I give up and have one very unhappy band.
Many thanks
Tina9999

CyberPower Inc.
Intel i7-4770K cpu @ 3.50 ghz
32.0 gb 64-bit operating system
as it turns out, the simplest explanation was it: my old internal dvd burner in my laptop had burned out. That was one of my first questions, how to figure if that was the reason, but no one ever responded to that. Since then I had to purchase an external dvd burner, and then a new desktop computer as my old laptop was running too hot and crashed too often as a result. thanks for your input anyways! Tina9999
pemongillo
I don't know if this is considered "hijacking" because I'm only a newbie too. I also found that uploading directly to Youtube via the PD11 option was really poor quality. However when I send to Youtube separately after producing the file into an AVCHD format, then it looks way better. And when I read one of the other posts about same issue, one of the sr contributors said the same thing. When I send mp4 or mpeg 2 to Youtube, it is not nearly as good quality as AVCHD H.364 at 1920x1080/60 i. That said, I also recently learned that Youtube does not produce at that level of quality but it will still look better the higher res you can use. However, the length of time to produce and upload to Youtube will be greatly increased, so you have to decide which is more important to you, time vs quality. I've opted for best quality, but my 30-58 min videos take 256-356+ mins to upload to Youtube now so I do it overnight. Tina9999
BarryTheCrab - sorry to have hijacked this thread...
as to your suggestion: when I go to a concert it's only me with my 1 handheld camera. There usually is no space to set up a tripod, and even if there is, I cannot possibly carry all that gear with my bad back. There also was pixilation even just panning the stage a bit.
So can you suggest the best producing rate for highest clarity that won't take 10-20 hrs? Never got any answers to my "best production rate" topic.
Thanks, Tina9999
Hi there - it sounds like you might be able to answer some of my q's since noone else has for several days re production quality, if you're willing.

I film live bands for public access tv, shoot at highest res 1920 X 1080 60i 16:9, my camera is Sony NEX FS100. When I pan to the crowd, even tho I try to go slowly, the video on dvd gets pixilated. When I look at it on my computer during editing, or even on Youtube after posting, I don't see that. For Youtube I produce at H.264 because when I've used mp4 the video quality is not as good, and Youtube sends me msgs about changing my Quicktime settings, even tho I don't actually use QT. I did recently upgrade my QT, as well as my graphics driver and have plenty of space on C & D drives.

I want highest quality AVCHD possible. I have been trying various options for production, but am unclear which is best. Was using higher mps, but when my computer stopped burning dvds, the forum said burn slower. Last time I burned a 48 min vid at 16 mp, it took over 20 hrs! As it turned out, after trying many solutions offered, my internal dvd burner was the culprit, so now I'm using a Microboards 1-3 external burner/duplicator.

So which is best for highest res? I have started burning dvds straight from the editing mode without producing, thinking that maybe I don't even need to do that (except for Youtube), since it certainly saves me time! I see options that list "for BD" is that just for blue ray discs? I only can send to tv on DVD-R in 2D Standard mode.

As for Handbrake, is it suitable for videos that are 28-60 mins long? My videos consist of titles, credits, fade in transitions, songs played. If I enhance video or audio, does that make it take longer to produce? I just made one with and without video enhancement to see if it changed the pixilation/blurriness during the pan, but it did not.

Thanks so much! Tina9999
Bubba in Tx - yes that is it. I did not use it when I purchased PD11 Ultimate Suite, but when I started running into many issues I tried it. It actually did release a lot of space on my drives, which is one thing I was told I needed to do. It also claims to fix broken connections, but I would not know if that actually happens since I'm not technically that savvy. When I was at the repair shop, they removed it saying it was unnecessary, but I reinstalled because it seems to locate more issues than the Windows 7 clean disk program, and has definitely freed up a lot of space, which was my goal.
Thanks for sharing the link so the other Sr Contributors could see. Maybe someone could mark this thread as SOLVED now? Thanks, Tina9999
What is the best production setting for high quality but that won't take super long?

My videos average 28-58 mins of footage that I shoot of live bands. They usually include 6-8 tunes with simple transitions, title & credits, and some video improvement. On rare occasion I also use the equalize function to improve audio. I post these full length videos to Youtube, then burn dvds for distribution to public access tv.

My current 48 min music video in production mode is going to take over 20 hrs to produce... and then it will take another 300+ mins to upload to Youtube. My laptop needs to rest, cool down in between, so I'll have to wait again til tomorrow night to post to Youtube since it's too hot here in the daytime to work it. I really would like a quicker turn around time!

One of the reasons I purchased the Cyberlink PD11 as soon as it was available online is that it claimed really quick processing. 20 hrs does not seem quick to me - neither does the 6 or 10 hrs for shorter videos. Am I doing something wrong, or is there something I can do to make my computer work faster beyond everything I've done like buying more gb, updating graphics card, clearing out old programs & files and making lots of space on C drive and cleaning with Cyberlink's PC TuneUp 2013 that came with the PD11 Ultimate Suite package. I have been told there will be a faster laptop out in November, but meanwhile...

I do know that if I produce as lower res, it might be quicker but lower res = lower visual clarity, which I don't like. I didn't spend so much $ on camera, software & computer equip and time to only get grainy footage.

I have been using the AVCHD option to match my filming settings of 1920 x 1080 / 60i. Since this forum had advised selecting slower settings for rendering since I was having problems burning dvds, I chose 16 mp this time rather than 24. But over 20 hrs really seems long for a video under 1 hr, especially since the program lists it as Smart Rendering, which is supposed to be "fast".

Are there other settings that give high quality results but don't take so long? When I send as MP4 to Youtube they send a msg saying I should set my Quicktime or Movietime at a different setting for better quality. MPEG-2 takes longer and doesn't look as good.
Please advise... Thanks! Tina9999
YAY! It worked, guess it was the graphics card after all. Am in middle of producing now.
Thanks so much! Tina9999

about to post another question but since it's unrelated will send as a new topic
Jaime-esque
Thanks, will do!
Tina9999
BarrytheCrab & Jaime-esque:
TuneUp Utilities 2013 came with the PowerDirector 11 Ultimate package. I never used it until recent issues surfaced.
As for the graphics driver, I downloaded something that I thot was an upgrade, but since my memory is not so fantastic, esp with these type of things, I'll have to research... or just find another upgrade.
Will search for Cyberlink support.
Thanks to both! Tina9999
Jaime-esque:
Installed Prassi Zulu2, the dvd burn software for Microboards 1-3 ext dvd burner. Then uninstalled when I started having success burning directly from PD11's burn mode to the ext burner. Then that suddenly stopped and I couldn't locate a drive, so re-installed Prassi Zulu, altho I never used it. I need dvds with no menu for public access tv, and most of these dvd burn programs don't seem to offer that option which is why I deleted them.

I also had deleted Acrobat AIR. Back when I first started having problems (see Burning DVD unsuccessful thread) I uploaded all Cyberlink PD patches, upgraded Quicktime, graphics driver, added 16 gbs, took to 2 repair stores several times.

Yes PD11 and all my programs are on C drive. Moved all my video files & documents to D drive after I purchased more GBs for it. Had turned off auto back up to D, but saw alot of error msgs about that, so re-configured to back up to D since I have a lot of space on it now.

Recently ran Window's clean up program and just last night Cyberlink's 2013 Tune Up since was still unable to access PD11.

Ultimately if I should re-install the program, who should I contact to get free upload? My purchase was when it first came out.
Thanks Tina9999
Can no longer open PDR11. Can't open program disc, so cannot re-upload the program. Was one of first to purchase online, when had problems they mailed 2 discs to me with handwritten labels because they had not released the official printed discs yet.

Added an update to a prior stream but no replies, so have opened this as new.

Could not locate any recent Error msgs connected to Cyberlink or PDR11. Recently purchased an external 1-3 burner/duplicator because I finally found out that the problem listed in my prior stream was that the internal dvd burner had burned out. PDR11 stopped opening shortly after purchasing the burner. Deleted some burning software I had added since figured I no longer needed them: IMG Burn, Power2Go9 (trial). Could that affect PDR11?

Also recently re-installed Cyberlink's Tuneup 2013 so have removed & corrected many things.

All help greatly appreciated! Tina999

Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1 2009
HP Envy 17 Notebook PC Intel(R)Core(tm)i7 CPU Q720@1.60 GHz
Ram: 16 GB 64 Bit op sys
Currently: C drive: 292 GB free of 434 D drive (Media, Docs & Backup): 550 GB free of 931 E (Recovery): 1.4 GB free of 30.96
BroDon316 - did you ever resolve this issue? I produce 28-58 min videos of live bands for public access tv stations and got little to no help from most of the engineers/programmers. It's been 2 years and I'm still figuring things out mostly on my own. I was told dvds have to be DVD-R, most require MPEG-2. However when I started burning directly from the PD11 program, without taking all the extra time for Producing, all stations were able to read them, and I saved about 4-6 hrs. I did find out should be NTSC 60i since interlaced is better for tv. 16:9 perspective shows up better, and then you can keep it the same for Youtube. I tried other programs to burn dvds but most seem to require menus, which, as you know are not allowed for tv. So I am sticking with the auto program in PD11. Please let me know if you learned anything else, please? Thanks! Tina9999
Follow up: After following many suggestions, was able to bring computer to a repair shop which confirmed my internal dvd player had burned out. Purchased a new 1-3 burner/duplicator. Burned a bunch of new dvds and made copies successfully. But now my computer cannot locate any driver. I did remove a few burning programs I did not think I needed any more: IMG Burn, PowerToGo9, and the PrassiZulu which came with the duplicator. I really only wanted to use the burning program automatically connected with PD11, which was working but now is not. In fact, I cannot even open PD11 now and my computer had crashed a while ago, but is obviously back up. Could have overheated from all the burning and hot weather, even with the fans & chill pad.
So, since my internal F drive and the external G drive cannot be read, I cannot re-load any software. Forgot to mention I did just upload the automatic Windows updates, so am unsure which thing I did caused this melt down. My C drive now has about 236 gb free, more than enough space, having deleted many programs & videos. Help please? Tina999
Tony
Sorry my computer doesn't read the dvd at all, so don't know how to capture a screen shot. When I tried to burn something to it again, it said it was Write Protected, and yet when I tried to look at it with another program (can't remember which now) it said there was no disc in that drive.
How do I find out if my internal burner is the culprit? It came with my laptop which I purchased in 2010 and have used extensively since.
I could purchase a different burning program, as suggested by some, however if the burner is the problem then that would be a waste of time & $.
Need to sign off now and will check back in tomorrow. Cheers to Sydney! Tina
Tony (may I call you that, rather than your fishing moniker?)
Yes there were the vob etc files in My Video. However, no dvd yet, which is so odd since Power2Go9 claimed it had burned successfully. But dvd will not play once inserted into computer, and no files show up when I click on F drive. Also could not drag a folder or file successfully to the little instant icon thingy that pops up on the right in version 9.
Have not used dvd burner with other software, as I have now deleted it all because I wasn't using them anymore.
Going to try a few more things, but am running out of ideas! Good thing I have a beautiful lake to look out on to calm me down, somewhat like your foto! Thanks, Tina
Go to: