Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Rendering Strategy For Smaller File Sizes using Constant Quality h264 with Handbrake
ArtInvent1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 05, 2012 02:22 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I just wanted to post this in case other users might be able to use it to achieve much smaller file sizes in their final videos.

I have noticed for at least 2-3 years that Handbrake gives incredibly good quality to compression ratio. File sizes are basically half or less than a normal h264 encode using constant or variable bitrate. The secret seems to be its use of "Constant Quality" and a "Rate Factor" sliding scale. For instance, I generally use a rate factor of about 20 on DVD or other SD resolution sources. For 1920x1080 I usually use a bit more compression (higher RF number), somewhere between 21 and 24. Animation in 1080p, for instance, looks very good at 24rf with little compression artifact - and the file size is amazingly small.

SO the problem is: PD 11 simply does not offer rendering using the Constant Quality or Rate Factor method or anything nearly as efficient. You are limited to specifying bit rates of 13000 to 26300 kbps on all h264 encodes. This is simply not able to achieve quality vs filesize that I am seeing with Handbrake encodes - again file sizes out of PD 11 are about 2x what is achievable.

Now understand that I am editing almost exclusively AVCHD, currently 24p footage from a Sony NEX 5n, and some 60p.

I actually don't do a lot of effects and try to keep color correction to a minimum, I am mostly just trimming scenes and assembling and puttting some simple titles on, adding an occasional still slide show with pan and zoom. So I am able to do an SVRT intelligent render and save a lot of time, and at the same time get virtually no generational loss on most of my renders. SVRT only re-encodes where necessary. For my use this results in an output movie with a .M2TS format. I consider this as a 'master render' because, as I say, it is made up typically of a high proportion of absolute original quality footage. The SVRT rendering is actually one of the big selling points of PD to me, in fact.

Then I open this file in Handbrake, and do a re-encode to MP4 or MKV format, using the rate factor h264 method. Typically for my 1920x1080p24 projects I use RF22.

So the result on one approx 5m minute long movie project was:
PD 11, SVRT, .M2TS FILE: 652MB
PD 11, SMALLEST MP4 FILE: 410MB
HANDBRAKE, RF22 MP4 FILE: 239MB

Now, I am sure that you might be able to pick out some quality differences between the .m2ts file and the Handbrake file. But to my eye it is small and perfectly good looking. Moreover, the difference between the two mp4 files is even smaller. But that is my eye and of course YMMV.

Now, if for whatever reason you can't do an SVRT intelligent render, then I would try just rendering to the absolute max quality you possibly can in whatever format and using that for the Handbrake re-encode. Try different rate factors if you want to experiment with the quality vs file size see-saw.

So Handbrake is free software and I have used it for years. It's a bit of a mystery why more commercial video tools like PD and other editors don't simply switch to CQ rendering; it surely would be nice to at least have the option somewhere, rather than having to open a completely separate app.

Also, I would certainly love it if PD adopted another neat trick from Handbrake's arsenal: you can set up a whole bunch of renders of different movies, or the same movie to different resolutions and rate factors and file sizes etc, in a queue, and then hit the go button and leave your computer to grind away for hours, and it does each job in succession. You can even add more jobs to the queue even as one render is taking place. So cool. Handbrake is really amazingly good.

Tina9999
Newbie Location: Northern CA Joined: Oct 12, 2012 23:38 Messages: 39 Offline
[Post New]
Hi there - it sounds like you might be able to answer some of my q's since noone else has for several days re production quality, if you're willing.

I film live bands for public access tv, shoot at highest res 1920 X 1080 60i 16:9, my camera is Sony NEX FS100. When I pan to the crowd, even tho I try to go slowly, the video on dvd gets pixilated. When I look at it on my computer during editing, or even on Youtube after posting, I don't see that. For Youtube I produce at H.264 because when I've used mp4 the video quality is not as good, and Youtube sends me msgs about changing my Quicktime settings, even tho I don't actually use QT. I did recently upgrade my QT, as well as my graphics driver and have plenty of space on C & D drives.

I want highest quality AVCHD possible. I have been trying various options for production, but am unclear which is best. Was using higher mps, but when my computer stopped burning dvds, the forum said burn slower. Last time I burned a 48 min vid at 16 mp, it took over 20 hrs! As it turned out, after trying many solutions offered, my internal dvd burner was the culprit, so now I'm using a Microboards 1-3 external burner/duplicator.

So which is best for highest res? I have started burning dvds straight from the editing mode without producing, thinking that maybe I don't even need to do that (except for Youtube), since it certainly saves me time! I see options that list "for BD" is that just for blue ray discs? I only can send to tv on DVD-R in 2D Standard mode.

As for Handbrake, is it suitable for videos that are 28-60 mins long? My videos consist of titles, credits, fade in transitions, songs played. If I enhance video or audio, does that make it take longer to produce? I just made one with and without video enhancement to see if it changed the pixilation/blurriness during the pan, but it did not.

Thanks so much! Tina9999

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 22. 2013 16:35

CyberPower Inc Windows 7
Intel (R) Core (tm) i7-4770K cpu @ 3.50 ghz
64 bit op sys - 32.0 GB RAM
ArtInvent1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 05, 2012 02:22 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I have to wonder if the pixelation it is caused by footage in 60i interlaced, going to a master (computer video generally will be progressive) and then to a reduced resolution and interlaced (DVD.) If you are going to shoot interlaced you need to check your rendering chain and make sure it stays interlaced at every step.

Have you rendered using the Smart SVRT mode? This is the highest possible quality rendering, as I wrote before if your footage has not been messed with other than trimming, it won't even be re-encoded. Other than that, any format that uses h264 at the highest rate of 26300 is probably the max quality you can get out of this program. It looks to me like most of the different container formats (other than Smart SVRT) offered by PD (mkv, mov, mp4, avc) just use the same h264 video encoding with a max 26300 bitrate. So they should all be about the same.

You don't have to burn straight to disc from within PD if you don't want. You could probably make a DVD or BluRay disc image, and then burn that using a pure disc burning utility. On the Final Output dialog it looks like you would Create Folder rather than Burn to Disc. That's what I used to do but I don't burn too many discs anymore.

You might also try some other disc creation tools that take your edited master computer movie file, and create the disc files to burn with that. Maybe they would do a better job with the re-encoding to DVD than PD does.

Handbrake is fast and works great on 2hr plus movies, use it all the time. But it's not meant for producing DVD or Bluray output, just computer files (mkv, mp4). Youtube will probably still re-encode this, but at least it takes a lot less time to upload when the file size is so much smaller.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Just a thought on pans...noooooooo.
Use a second camera, leave it on the crowd. Pans are deadly to quality. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Tina9999
Newbie Location: Northern CA Joined: Oct 12, 2012 23:38 Messages: 39 Offline
[Post New]
BarryTheCrab - sorry to have hijacked this thread...
as to your suggestion: when I go to a concert it's only me with my 1 handheld camera. There usually is no space to set up a tripod, and even if there is, I cannot possibly carry all that gear with my bad back. There also was pixilation even just panning the stage a bit.
So can you suggest the best producing rate for highest clarity that won't take 10-20 hrs? Never got any answers to my "best production rate" topic.
Thanks, Tina9999 CyberPower Inc Windows 7
Intel (R) Core (tm) i7-4770K cpu @ 3.50 ghz
64 bit op sys - 32.0 GB RAM