Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD13 crashing, syncing, suggestions
Tina9999
Newbie Location: Northern CA Joined: Oct 12, 2012 23:38 Messages: 39 Offline
[Post New]
Greetings PD13 forum!
I film and create 30 min to 1 hr videos of live events weekly for public access tv & Youtube, as an unpaid prosumer level videographer. Because I do this so often, any features to cut my editing time will be greatly appreciated!

Was pretty excited to upgrade to PD13 until I ran into issues... After reading some other feedback, I almost reverted to PD12 but really appreciate the multi-cam syncing feature. Rather than create PD14, it would be lovely just to see some fixes so I don't have to purchase a new version again.
Here's my issues, questions and requests for improvement:

CRASHING: When my computer started crashing it didn't seem to matter what I was doing at the moment. I finally figured out maybe I should delete PD12, which helped, but it's still crashing, just not as often. I have plenty of space on this relatively new super computer and have 2 fans on it.

To improve: a. Can instructions be listed to delete former versions when uploading the new version? I wasn't sure if I needed to or if the new version needed to see the old one to qualify for the Upgrade version.
b. There is no error code posted after it crashes, just a pop up box to send my email and issue to Cyberlink. I am no fan of error codes since it takes a forum visit to find out what they mean. Can a simple explanatory phrase be sent out upon crashes so maybe we can figure out why?
c. Sometimes I get an option to recover to the unsaved file. Sure would be nice if that was always! I do save often, but it's pretty disheartening when I have to repeat my work.

MESSAGES: Spelling: To improve: Really threw me for a loop to see Alreay (already) message pop up! I had to wonder if spell check is used by Cyberlink software developers! This is part of the message that pops up when I am selecting a Video Folder to edit from, and there is "Alreay" a PDS file in the folder. Not sure why it matters that there is a PDS file in the folder...

AUDIO: Syncing: Tried to auto sync my audio wav file from my Tascam digital recorder with footage from 2 cameras, but can't seem to do that.

To improve: a. Please let us sync stand alone audio tracks to multi-cam (and single cam) shoots! (as mentioned in another thread)
b. Old issue, but bears fixing: if wav is best audio format for syncing, please state so somewhere rather than just in a forum. I spent many months trying to figure out why the mp3 audio that had been emailed to me was not syncing up.
c. The program keeps trying to place one of my clips in the wrong position, so it needs to be fixed to always sync correctly.
d. Please add Audio Sync to the Editing Button, rather than hiding it in a key function. I didn't even know it was an option until I took time to watch the Multi-Cam tutorial.
e. Please make a separate Youtube Tutorial on Audio syncing, which I kept searching for, ended up checking out the Multi-Cam tutorial since I was also doing that for the first time and found it there.

AUDIO: stutter: For some reason, my Sony NEX FS-100U videocam stopped and re-started in the middle of several tunes. Since it was on a tripod and I was filming with a handheld, I didn't know until I looked at the footage. When I place the clips together, the visual is seamless, but the audio stops for a beat, then resumes.

To improve: a. Some way to fix the audio so it doesn't stutter.

AUDIO: voices: At recent concerts, I was told by sound board techs that I will get a better mix if I don't plug my Tascam digital recorder into their sound board. Fine, but because there was no place to place the recorder totally away from people, I put it on their board. Then the sound techs talked, loudly!, throughout most of the concert, which intruded onto my audio feed. I ended up canning that audio and used audio from my camera mic, but it's not as good quality.

To improve: a. Create an option to remove extraneous voices. The noise reduction, hiss, clicking, etc do not do that.

TRANSITIONS: When I film live bands, I prefer a clean black out in between each song, rather than the fancy fades offered.

To improve: a. So many options for transitions, most of which I would never use! Please add one for a simple black in for both the visual and audio tracks, not under Modify but as an actual Transition option.
b. Is it possible to have a button (or is there already a way?) to just automatically insert this black out to the beginning and end of each clip?

MENUS: The public access tv stations I film for require no Menus. So I never use any of the cutesy menus offered.

To improve: a. A way to set my preferred settings for disc creation with no menus, so I don't have to manually select that every time. Or is there already a way?

If some of these suggestions for improvement are already features I just haven't figured out yet, please advise! I only just got the program so am still learning "on the job".

Many thanks to anyone who takes the time to read all of this...
Tina9999

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Sep 29. 2014 20:49

CyberPower Inc Windows 7
Intel (R) Core (tm) i7-4770K cpu @ 3.50 ghz
64 bit op sys - 32.0 GB RAM
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Greetings PD13 forum!
I film and create 30 min to 1 hr videos of live events weekly for public access tv & Youtube, as an unpaid prosumer level videographer. Because I do this so often, any features to cut my editing time will be greatly appreciated!

Was pretty excited to upgrade to PD13 until I ran into issues... After reading some other feedback, I almost reverted to PD12 but really appreciate the multi-cam syncing feature. Rather than create PD14, it would be lovely just to see some fixes so I don't have to purchase a new version again.
Here's my issues, questions and requests for improvement:

CRASHING: When my computer started crashing it didn't seem to matter what I was doing at the moment. I finally figured out maybe I should delete PD12, which helped, but it's still crashing, just not as often. I have plenty of space on this relatively new super computer and have 2 fans on it.
A: Crashing is caused by either a software failure or a hardware issue/failing. You should check the version you have and if applicable apply the patch to bring it up to the final release build. It is supposed to fix a "crashing" issue. Hardware failures are harder to determine and may be down to ram/mobo/HDD gradually failing. Failures happen in new and older products!

To improve: a. Can instructions be listed to delete former versions when uploading the new version? I wasn't sure if I needed to or if the new version needed to see the old one to qualify for the Upgrade version.
A: Did you buy the Upgrade or the full version. Upgrade will overwrite portions of the previously installed version.An upgrade can be installed without the previous PDR being on one's computer - just have to have the older activation key handy to input when requested during the install of the upgrade new version of PDR. If you have the full build version of PDR then you are able to have both old and new versions on one's computer. Remove older programs via the control panel id you wish, your call.

b. There is no error code posted after it crashes, just a pop up box to send my email and issue to Cyberlink. I am no fan of error codes since it takes a forum visit to find out what they mean. Can a simple explanatory phrase be sent out upon crashes so maybe we can figure out why?
A: Not all crashes can have "error codes" and they confuse me too when they appear and it is hard to determine what each means. I do have my own compiled list but that soon gets out of date with each new PDR release. The Crash popup report form will, if sent, give details of the crash for the RD techies to investigate and try and replicate - they have the data they need without you having to do a lot

c. Sometimes I get an option to recover to the unsaved file. Sure would be nice if that was always! I do save often, but it's pretty disheartening when I have to repeat my work.
A: Check out Auto-Save back up files - this is in a hidden location. You can set Preferences to save more or less frequently. Auto save saves to a new named file each time.
The following contains hidden folders: C:\Users\[b]Your PCName here\AppData\Roaming\CyberLink\PowerDirector\13.0\AutoSave

MESSAGES: Spelling: To improve: Really threw me for a loop to see Alreay (already) message pop up! I had to wonder if spell check is used by Cyberlink software developers! This is part of the message that pops up when I am selecting a Video Folder to edit from, and there is "Alreay" a PDS file in the folder. Not sure why it matters that there is a PDS file in the folder...
A: Already spelling - very poor! The pds message is right to warn you prior to you attempting to overwrite a file. I NEVER overwrite a pds file because a)More likely to become corrupted as it involves massive corrections of text data b)The older pds is a backup/fall back in case of an error. I always create a new pds with a new numerical name each time.
AUDIO: Syncing: Tried to auto sync my audio wav file from my Tascam digital recorder with footage from 2 cameras, but can't seem to do that.
A: Yep

To improve: a. Please let us sync stand alone audio tracks to multi-cam (and single cam) shoots! (as mentioned in another thread)
b. Old issue, but bears fixing: if wav is best audio format for syncing, please state so somewhere rather than just in a forum. I spent many months trying to figure out why the mp3 audio that had been emailed to me was not syncing up.
c. The program keeps trying to place one of my clips in the wrong position, so it needs to be fixed to always sync correctly.
d. Please add Audio Sync to the Editing Button, rather than hiding it in a key function. I didn't even know it was an option until I took time to watch the Multi-Cam tutorial.
e. Please make a separate Youtube Tutorial on Audio syncing, which I kept searching for, ended up checking out the Multi-Cam tutorial since I was also doing that for the first time and found it there.
A: Passed on your feedback suggestions

AUDIO: stutter: For some reason, my Sony NEX FS-100U videocam stopped and re-started in the middle of several tunes. Since it was on a tripod and I was filming with a handheld, I didn't know until I looked at the footage. When I place the clips together, the visual is seamless, but the audio stops for a beat, then resumes.
A: This is to do with the SD card and your camera and not a fault with PDR. Most Prosumer cameras have SD cards and are limited to the file size it stores to. Multiple files are created with long play/recorded events - happens to all of us.
To improve: a. Some way to fix the audio so it doesn't stutter.

AUDIO: voices: At recent concerts, I was told by sound board techs that I will get a better mix if I don't plug my Tascam digital recorder into their sound board. Fine, but because there was no place to place the recorder totally away from people, I put it on their board. Then the sound techs talked, loudly!, throughout most of the concert, which intruded onto my audio feed. I ended up canning that audio and used audio from my camera mic, but it's not as good quality.

To improve: a. Create an option to remove extraneous voices. The noise reduction, hiss, clicking, etc do not do that.
A: You need a high end voice analyzer audio editor to isolate individual and the removal of wave form. Not a PDR video editing issue really.

TRANSITIONS: When I film live bands, I prefer a clean black out in between each song, rather than the fancy fades offered.

To improve: a. So many options for transitions, most of which I would never use! Please add one for a simple black in for both the visual and audio tracks, not under Modify but as an actual Transition option.
b. Is it possible to have a button (or is there already a way?) to just automatically insert this black out to the beginning and end of each clip?

MENUS: The public access tv stations I film for require no Menus. So I never use any of the cutesy menus offered.

To improve: a. A way to set my preferred settings for disc creation with no menus, so I don't have to manually select that every time. Or is there already a way?

If some of these suggestions for improvement are already features I just haven't figured out yet, please advise! I only just got the program so am still learning "on the job".

Many thanks to anyone who takes the time to read all of this...
Tina9999

I have answered some of the points raised - flagged out at the end a bit. I have just given you my opinion in all points here.
Dafydd

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 30. 2014 05:34

Prizm [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 01, 2007 09:07 Messages: 36 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:

This is extremely difficult, if not impossible. No matter what you do to try and remove the talking, it will also affect the concert audio. Chances are whatever you do to try and improve the audio, you will likely prefer the original recording even with the annoying voices. The side effects of editing will probably make it sound worse.
Even if you do use the line out from the sound board (by plugging into the headphone jack or something), it will not sound as good because they are mixing for a live environment, not a studio recording. All the instruments and vocals will sound unbalanced and hollow because they are trying to compensate for the natural echo and atmosphere in the auditorium (which you won't get through the line-out). You're better off recording the audio as-is, and just trying to keep the recorder away from any immediate voices.

Good suggestion. I haven't used PD13 very long, so I haven't checked if it has this transition. Premiere Pro has a "dip to black" transition, where it fades to black and back up again. Depending where you place the transition, it can also function as a simple fade to black.
Tina9999
Newbie Location: Northern CA Joined: Oct 12, 2012 23:38 Messages: 39 Offline
[Post New]
Dafyyd - Bevan: many thanks for forwarding and suggestions, will try them out and check back in if questions. I did purchase the PD13 as an upgrade from PD12, but am still having crashes today. I will check to see if any Upgrades available, altho I thot it was a very new release, so didn't expect any yet. Didn't know I should save to different titles, only was occasionally doing that. Had my auto-save at 10 mins, but will see if I can set for more often. Guess it's time to purchase more new SD cards, THANKS!

Prizm: really appreciate your insight into talking over audio, as I wasn't sure whether any editing might dilute the actual music. My bf musician is going to see if he can attach the recorder to a tall mic stand, or I might purchase one to attach the recorder and place high up and away from chatterers. At one outdoor location there was a tree branch, and at one club there's a high ledge, but the chatter still takes over.
The Modify function allows black out Fades, it's just it would be great if I could auto-insert in front of every clip, like I could with Roxio.

Many thanks to both of you! Tina9999 CyberPower Inc Windows 7
Intel (R) Core (tm) i7-4770K cpu @ 3.50 ghz
64 bit op sys - 32.0 GB RAM