Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Video degraded when burning DVD and uploading to YouTube
pemongillo [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 09, 2011 19:39 Messages: 52 Offline
[Post New]
I am puzzled. Recently upgraded to PD 11. If I burn a DVD I only have the option of burning at MP2 !? Lousy DVD quality results. If I produce the HD file to a folder as an MP4 HD video and drag it to a DVD independent of PD 11 the quality is perfect. Also some serious degradation when uploading to YouTube . Video is 1080 30 fps. What's going on?

Thanks
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I am puzzled. Recently upgraded to PD 11. If I burn a DVD I only have the option of burning at MP2 !? Lousy DVD quality results. If I produce the HD file to a folder as an MP4 HD video and drag it to a DVD independent of PD 11 the quality is perfect. Also some serious degradation when uploading to YouTube . Video is 1080 30 fps. What's going on?

Thanks

What is going on is you are using DVD. DVD is only Standard Definition 720x480/576 NTSC/PAL.

You can burn a AVCHD DVD which is High Definition. But it requires playing in a BluRay Player that plays AVCHD disks.
pemongillo [Avatar]
[Post New]
Carl that doesn't make any sense....I don't think. When I burn from PD 11 to a DVD (you are correct in assuming the type of DVD I am using), the video quality is poor. However, if I produce the file and save as an MP4 1080 on my hard drive and then drag that file to the same kind of DVD (independent of PD 11), the video quality is excellent. This tells me something "bad " is happening in PD 11. Other ideas? Thanks
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
What doesn't make sense about it? How are you 'dragging' the file to a DVD? Are you actually burning it as a DVD of as a data disc? 1080 is going to be higher quality than 480. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
pemongillo [Avatar]
[Post New]
What doesn't make any sense is that I am burning the same type of DVD two different ways. One directly from PD11 using a PDS file. And the other I simply drag the MP4 file I produced in PD11 to the DVD burner. The one I produced as MP4 dragged to the DVD burner independent of PD11 is way higher quality. That just doesn't make sense. I don't know how much clearer to make it and perhaps I just don't have the knowledge to understand what is being explained to me. Thanks
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
Think of a DVD as media - a physical (optical) disk. But DVD is also one type of recording, as Carl explained, designed to play on most standalone DVD players.

If you burn DVD media with Mp4 1080 data, which appears to be what you've done with your dragged file, it is not a DVD recording.
It will play on a computer's optical drive, but likely not on standalone DVD players - though a few may handle it.

The 1080 Mp4 burn will be of higher quality than the DVD Standard Definition 720x480/576 NTSC/PAL burn.
They both can be recorded to DVD MEDIA, but they're different critters.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Sep 06. 2013 00:49

James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you, Borgus1. That's what I was trying to get around to. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
pemongillo [Avatar]
[Post New]
That makes more sense. The confusion for me probably arose because the dragged MP4 DVD plays in my Sony DVD player attached to my TV. What PD11 is doing when I choose the DVD setting rather than Blue Ray is configuring the DVD to play on any DVD player, mine happens to play blue ray so the MP4 file dragged to the same type of DVD looks much better. I wonder what PD11 will do if I ask it to burn a Blue Ray DVD, but on a non-blue ray disc. I'll give that a try for fun. Thanks all.

Still doesn't explain the absolute crap I get for videos uploaded to YouTube directly from PD11.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
I wonder what PD11 will do if I ask it to burn a Blue Ray DVD, but on a non-blue ray disc. I'll give that a try for fun. Thanks all.

Still doesn't explain the absolute crap I get for videos uploaded to YouTube directly from PD11.

You can burn a AVCHD DVD disk. AVCHD is High definition written to a DVD Media.

AVCHD DVD requires a compatible Bluray player.

You can upload High Definition videos from Powerdirector to Youtube. You must select a HD profile to send to Youtube.

Or you can produce your video in the resolution you wish, then use your Youtube Account upload.

[Thumb - Youtube upload options.jpg]
 Filename
Youtube upload options.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Youtube choices
 Filesize
50 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
237 time(s)

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at Sep 06. 2013 11:24

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

pemongillo [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Carl
Tina9999
Newbie Location: Northern CA Joined: Oct 12, 2012 23:38 Messages: 39 Offline
[Post New]
pemongillo
I don't know if this is considered "hijacking" because I'm only a newbie too. I also found that uploading directly to Youtube via the PD11 option was really poor quality. However when I send to Youtube separately after producing the file into an AVCHD format, then it looks way better. And when I read one of the other posts about same issue, one of the sr contributors said the same thing. When I send mp4 or mpeg 2 to Youtube, it is not nearly as good quality as AVCHD H.364 at 1920x1080/60 i. That said, I also recently learned that Youtube does not produce at that level of quality but it will still look better the higher res you can use. However, the length of time to produce and upload to Youtube will be greatly increased, so you have to decide which is more important to you, time vs quality. I've opted for best quality, but my 30-58 min videos take 256-356+ mins to upload to Youtube now so I do it overnight. Tina9999 CyberPower Inc Windows 7
Intel (R) Core (tm) i7-4770K cpu @ 3.50 ghz
64 bit op sys - 32.0 GB RAM