Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Not sure if this is related but a new discovery has taken place.

I wanted to convert all my VIDEO_TS rips to a container format to shrink file size. I opted for mkv using HandBrake. First few I created played nice on my desktop but had occasional stutter issues on my HTPC using WMC player with the Shark codec pack for mkv playability. PDVD12 also had the stutter at the exact same scene and time index I wrote down. I then did some reading and discovered the default Handbrake option to encode with "variable frame rate" is not advised for some. I tested setting the frame rate "same as source" and fixed. Stutter was gone and I tested a few encoded movies I did. The stutter did not happen on my desktop pc which has a Radeon HD 6950 while the HTPC has an AMD APU 3870, which has a built in Radeo HD 6550D. I wondering if the APU has trouble with any type of variable frame rate...does the PDVD player set frame rate as fixed? As I said not sure if there's a relationship here with the original issue I posted but it sure seems it to me so I'm reporting it.
It seems to me that .vob folder rips stutter the most. I gave up using PDVD for playing my rips because of the stutter. I do get occasional stutter using the player with Blu-Ray disks but I have no choice as a player for now. The stutter is not all that bad but I can catch it happening. Wish they'd fix it but until then I don't give it my endorsement when asked about it. If all you want is a blu-ray player then fine.
Tested latest build. Still stutters like crazy as expected. I did a direct title to title comparison and the built in media player in WMC does not stutter at all....it's clearly PDVD doing it. I've not watched a Blu-ray disk in a week or more but do not recall this stuttering issue. I'll have to check again but I suspect that was ok because these VOB folders are stuttering like mad and I can not see how I would not have noticed it.
I see build 1618 has become available in the last 3 days. I'll try but from the list of fixes nothing mentioned on this issue.

I had a second look at that screen and it is an update screen. The big yellow highlighted purchase offer for $69.99 through me off, why have that on a free update screen? The page can be misleading if you ask me.
shows 12.0.1514.54

I used the windows standalone player to get this info and while I had the app open a pop up box appeared in lower right corner claiming to download the latest patch. When I clicked the icon it sent me to a Cyberlink page offering to discount to buy v12...wtf. That's no patch page...that was messed up.
I'm playing back rips of DVD's done in VOB folders from within WMC on our HTPC. Seems PDVD stutters like mad but the built in MS media player does not do this. Any idea why or how it can be cured?
I got mine today finally.
I'm having trouble waking my Windows 7 x64 machine and going through the long debugging process. I'm reviewing items in the event viewer. I fixed issues with Peer Name Resolution but it seems when I put the computer to sleep this event gets logged

The Cyberlink PowerDVD 11.0 service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 7 times.

When I do get the computer to wake up the service does start again but it sounds like there's an error in it's method of shutting down.

Seems this computer wakes fine if attempted to wake it in under an hour. If I let it sleep for say 2hrs then it seems to power up but blank screen and it's locked up. I tested to see if it was actually active but just no video and was non responsive so I knew it was locked up. I usually pull a USB device plug to see if I hear windows disable the USB device but I confirmed nothing and the only way to resolve it is complete power down.
well after days of waiting for a response I received one from tech support and they claimed I was eligible for the free upgrade but that I would not receive the link for it until the end of February, which I thought odd making one wait a month for it when they excepted it. In any event I might try it and see if any better than v11, if not I'll resort back. v11 has it's share of issues but works ok.
Thank you
3 days and still not a response from support.
I don't think you misunderstood anything. I prob got lost about this issue since my first post. I've done so many test with ripping I forget all I've done and really didn't go back to read my original post. Post whatever you find out because I'd still be curious.

I also sent in a message to tech support because I purchased PDVD 11 less than 30 days ago and I'm told they give free upgrades when purchase date is under 30...they've not responded to validate if this is true so like you I'm not holding my breath on it.
To be honest I gave up on any form of shrinking because reliability is more important than wasting storage. Any for me finding a program that would shrink to a reliable format just faild. Some would play, some would not, loss of forced subtitles, etc etc. It became a major headache so I quit. My BD collection is small so anyone in the family want to watch one, go grab the disk. My DVD collection on the other hand is very large. For years I ripped those to movie only versions in VIDEO_TS folders. I was experimenting with shrinking those and ran into reliablity issue there as well, if not even worse. Gave up on that also. I'd rather spend the coin on another drive than the time and headache it would take to get shrinks working as reliable.
still waiting for a reply.
I just inquired to tech support and attached the electronic receipt I received so I'll report back how this goes.
I just dug up my electronic receipt and it's dated Jan. 15th so it's 3 weeks ago I made the purchase. Guess I have to email tecnical support. If this goes well and smooth my hats off to Cyberlink as I've been down this road before and was basically told to bad.
That would be nice seeing how I bought PDVD 11 a month ago and 30 days later I'm biuying it again? I don't think so. Having a free to cheap upgrade for this case would restore my frustration and make me a believer and not saying, "yet another typical software developer and situation".
I'm testing rips to ISO and see if that's any better. I've tried those titles a few times and they just go to a black screen and sit forever while TMT plays them without problem. No idea why it works for you but I'm going to trya few things to see if I can not find a reliable means.
Because that's not what I wanted nor the way the software should be working. I use WMC and a nice meta data organizer called My Movies 4. Far nicer interface with internet playable trailers for family to sort through than a big giant book case full of movies.
I just tried 2 of those failed rips and the original disk played fine. Not sure why that really matters when I'm faced with one software playing the rips fine and one not. What's your thoughts on the answer to your question?
Go to: