Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
BDMV play problems
Ken62465 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 08, 2012 23:27 Messages: 25 Offline
[Post New]
Not sure why but it's apparent that PDVD 11 has trouble playing Blu-ray 1:1 rips. I just purchased my first Blu-ray burner and settled on PDVD over TMT, hope that was a wise choice. More than half the Blu-ray titles I ripped will not play in PDVD 11. Since I still have the trial of TMT 5 I decied to test each of these titles, they played fine there. I've only ripped 7 titles so far of my Blu-ray collection and 3 play and 4 do not. Here's the list

Iron Man 2....plays
Hancock.......plays
2012............plays
Iron Man......not play
Batman Begins....not play
Shutter Island.....not play
Ris of the Planet of the Apes......not play

I've now tried all 7 titles in TMT 5 and everyone of them played fine. This is frustrating. Anything known on this?
MARK [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 15, 2011 16:24 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Can PDVD play the blu ray discs?
Ken62465 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I just tried 2 of those failed rips and the original disk played fine. Not sure why that really matters when I'm faced with one software playing the rips fine and one not. What's your thoughts on the answer to your question?
MARK [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 15, 2011 16:24 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Why bother ripping if the disc plays?
Ken62465 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Because that's not what I wanted nor the way the software should be working. I use WMC and a nice meta data organizer called My Movies 4. Far nicer interface with internet playable trailers for family to sort through than a big giant book case full of movies.
vbdino [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 24, 2011 08:54 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
On my installation with Powerdvd 11, Rise of The planet of apes, if you mean the last one on bluray, then it works for me.
Ken62465 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'm testing rips to ISO and see if that's any better. I've tried those titles a few times and they just go to a black screen and sit forever while TMT plays them without problem. No idea why it works for you but I'm going to trya few things to see if I can not find a reliable means.
ganesha86 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jan 16, 2012 00:54 Messages: 106 Offline
[Post New]
Check the following information http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/20766.page#110069

Hope this information helps you.
nologic [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 04, 2012 00:25 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Not sure why but it's apparent that PDVD 11 has trouble playing Blu-ray 1:1 rips. I just purchased my first Blu-ray burner and settled on PDVD over TMT, hope that was a wise choice. More than half the Blu-ray titles I ripped will not play in PDVD 11. Since I still have the trial of TMT 5 I decied to test each of these titles, they played fine there. I've only ripped 7 titles so far of my Blu-ray collection and 3 play and 4 do not. Here's the list

Iron Man 2....plays
Hancock.......plays
2012............plays
Iron Man......not play
Batman Begins....not play
Shutter Island.....not play
Ris of the Planet of the Apes......not play

I've now tried all 7 titles in TMT 5 and everyone of them played fine. This is frustrating. Anything known on this?

Any chance you were ever able to resolve this? I am having the same exact problem. Some of the rips play fine, while others don't start at all.
Ken62465 [Avatar]
[Post New]
To be honest I gave up on any form of shrinking because reliability is more important than wasting storage. Any for me finding a program that would shrink to a reliable format just faild. Some would play, some would not, loss of forced subtitles, etc etc. It became a major headache so I quit. My BD collection is small so anyone in the family want to watch one, go grab the disk. My DVD collection on the other hand is very large. For years I ripped those to movie only versions in VIDEO_TS folders. I was experimenting with shrinking those and ran into reliablity issue there as well, if not even worse. Gave up on that also. I'd rather spend the coin on another drive than the time and headache it would take to get shrinks working as reliable.
nologic [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 04, 2012 00:25 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Sorry, I guess I misunderstood your fist post. I'm making 1:1 copies my blu-rays and can only get some of them to play. After some reading on AVS there is some speculation that PowerDVD does not handle BD protect/region coding correctly for BDMV. I've also started a ticket with tech support, but I'm not holding my breath since I have not heard good things about the support. If I manage to get anywhere I'll post back for anyone who's interested.
Ken62465 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I don't think you misunderstood anything. I prob got lost about this issue since my first post. I've done so many test with ripping I forget all I've done and really didn't go back to read my original post. Post whatever you find out because I'd still be curious.

I also sent in a message to tech support because I purchased PDVD 11 less than 30 days ago and I'm told they give free upgrades when purchase date is under 30...they've not responded to validate if this is true so like you I'm not holding my breath on it.