Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Stuttering playback in v12 with latest patch
Ken62465 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 08, 2012 23:27 Messages: 25 Offline
[Post New]
I'm playing back rips of DVD's done in VOB folders from within WMC on our HTPC. Seems PDVD stutters like mad but the built in MS media player does not do this. Any idea why or how it can be cured?
peleus [Avatar]
Member Joined: May 10, 2012 11:53 Messages: 58 Offline
[Post New]
What build number are you using for this if I may ask?
Ken62465 [Avatar]
[Post New]
shows 12.0.1514.54

I used the windows standalone player to get this info and while I had the app open a pop up box appeared in lower right corner claiming to download the latest patch. When I clicked the icon it sent me to a Cyberlink page offering to discount to buy v12...wtf. That's no patch page...that was messed up.
Ken62465 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I see build 1618 has become available in the last 3 days. I'll try but from the list of fixes nothing mentioned on this issue.

I had a second look at that screen and it is an update screen. The big yellow highlighted purchase offer for $69.99 through me off, why have that on a free update screen? The page can be misleading if you ask me.
Ken62465 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Tested latest build. Still stutters like crazy as expected. I did a direct title to title comparison and the built in media player in WMC does not stutter at all....it's clearly PDVD doing it. I've not watched a Blu-ray disk in a week or more but do not recall this stuttering issue. I'll have to check again but I suspect that was ok because these VOB folders are stuttering like mad and I can not see how I would not have noticed it.
Nirav [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 19, 2012 19:57 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I'm having the same issue with "The Dark Knight".

Version: 12.0.1618.54
Ken62465 [Avatar]
[Post New]
It seems to me that .vob folder rips stutter the most. I gave up using PDVD for playing my rips because of the stutter. I do get occasional stutter using the player with Blu-Ray disks but I have no choice as a player for now. The stutter is not all that bad but I can catch it happening. Wish they'd fix it but until then I don't give it my endorsement when asked about it. If all you want is a blu-ray player then fine.
Nirav [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 19, 2012 19:57 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
It's not rip, it's a bluray I bought from the store. It played on older powerdvd just fine (I think, it was long time ago).
peterpondus [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 17, 2012 02:34 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
oops i need to learn to read

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 20. 2012 08:18

Ken62465 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Not sure if this is related but a new discovery has taken place.

I wanted to convert all my VIDEO_TS rips to a container format to shrink file size. I opted for mkv using HandBrake. First few I created played nice on my desktop but had occasional stutter issues on my HTPC using WMC player with the Shark codec pack for mkv playability. PDVD12 also had the stutter at the exact same scene and time index I wrote down. I then did some reading and discovered the default Handbrake option to encode with "variable frame rate" is not advised for some. I tested setting the frame rate "same as source" and fixed. Stutter was gone and I tested a few encoded movies I did. The stutter did not happen on my desktop pc which has a Radeon HD 6950 while the HTPC has an AMD APU 3870, which has a built in Radeo HD 6550D. I wondering if the APU has trouble with any type of variable frame rate...does the PDVD player set frame rate as fixed? As I said not sure if there's a relationship here with the original issue I posted but it sure seems it to me so I'm reporting it.