Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
I just tried 2 of those failed rips and the original disk played fine. Not sure why that really matters when I'm faced with one software playing the rips fine and one not. What's your thoughts on the answer to your question?
Not sure why but it's apparent that PDVD 11 has trouble playing Blu-ray 1:1 rips. I just purchased my first Blu-ray burner and settled on PDVD over TMT, hope that was a wise choice. More than half the Blu-ray titles I ripped will not play in PDVD 11. Since I still have the trial of TMT 5 I decied to test each of these titles, they played fine there. I've only ripped 7 titles so far of my Blu-ray collection and 3 play and 4 do not. Here's the list

Iron Man 2....plays
Hancock.......plays
2012............plays
Iron Man......not play
Batman Begins....not play
Shutter Island.....not play
Ris of the Planet of the Apes......not play

I've now tried all 7 titles in TMT 5 and everyone of them played fine. This is frustrating. Anything known on this?
Well I fixed the DTS-HD output but what I'm seeing is the decoding option for HD keeps reverting back to just Dolby/DTS so next title I'd have to go back in and set it to HD again. Why is it not savingt this setting? I just did some reading of a review of PDVD 11, I think the site was called missing remote or something like that. To my surprise I find they mention this exact problem with it not saving this setting and every BD title you put in with HD audio you have to set this option and has been a known problem for a few years...and they have not fixed it?

I know what you mean Manoroid. The choppy play is terrible and mine even shows a large amount of noise in the BD play that I had to test my own Samsung Blu-ray player to be sure I was not imagining it...sure enough it was evident when compared against a standalone player. I'm coming to the conclusion setting up a HTPC was not such a good idea as the technology is just not there for it and everything to play nice but the concept is great. I just don't understand how PDVD even messed with the play of my rips, that was once smooth, and is now choppy even though the Windows player in WMC is handling it. It was apparent that PDVD did something because after install the rips would no longer play at all so there was some setting it messed with. I was told this is more than likely happening because PDVD set WMC to use a codec of it's own...not sure if it's true as I know little about codecs beyond them being needed and a little on what they do. I just asked in another forum if installing a codec package might do anything for me but I doubt it if PDVD is hard wired to use specifics and altered WMC registry to use set codecs...who knows.
I'd like to add to the list

3.) I just noticed my receiver is receiving "DTS" bitstream and not the DTS-HD track that's on the disk...Rise of the Planet of the Apes. I flipped audio tracks and even noticed PDVD showed a DTS-HD logo but my receiver is decoding a DTS only track. My receiver is a Pioneer Elite SC-35 and I know about my equipment's decoding ability so lets not ask that question.
Well I just purchased PDVD 11 and even with latest patch I'm also getting choppy Blu-ray play, or dropped frames as some say that it's really what is happening. In actually seeing choppy play in all sources tested so far. Just in a few days the glitches and bugs accumulating are making me question this purchase but I understand I have 30 days. Here's what I run and it's a bran new build with clean install of win7/64 primary use for Windows Media Center as a HTPC setup.

- HTPC CASE NMEDIAPC|HTPC 5000B
- MB GIGABYTE|GA-A75M-UD2H HD3
- APU AMD | A8-3870K 3.0G 4M FM1
- MEM 2Gx2|CORSAIR CMX4GX3M2A1600C8
- SSD 64G|CRUCIAL CT064M4SSD2
- HDD 2T|WD WD20EARX
- TV CARD CETON | INFINITV 4
- PSU OCZ|OCZ500MXSP 500W
- BLU-RAY BURNER LG| WH12LS38

Here's a list of issues I noted.

1.) Install destroyed Windows Media Center built in play of VIDEO_TS folder rips. I kept getting an error of missing video files and no explanation yet video would start to play then stop with the message. Do not ask me how but today I was flipping options in both the PDVD standalone player and WMC options inside of it and now it's back to working. Even though the play of these rips is back they are playing very choppy and didn't before install of PDVD 11. I was told by someone from another forum that this could be an indication of a codec issue...no idea myself.

2.) Blu-Ray playback is very chopy, dropped frames every 5-10 secs and annoying to watch. Also noted a large amount of noise that's not present if I put the same BD disk in my standalone Samsung player to compare. Thought I was seeing things but it's an ugly amount of noise.

My biggest problem is the choppy play. In all honesty I also tried the trial of TMT 5 and the chopyy play there was even worse. They fixed the choppy play in a beta and it was very smooth but they broke the Blu-Ray player plugin for WMC, I had to exit WMC and use their windows player and that worked fine. I'm at a toss up if I purchased the wrong one.

I strictly use WMC in Windows 7/64 for my HTPC. I also use "My Movies" for all metadata generation and movies have played fine from within it with the windows built in player for DVD rips to HDD. I've not done any rips of Blu-Rays yet but that's coming. Anyway after the trial evaluation, in which I failed to test playing my rips like an idiot, someone in my home wanted to watch a movie I had ripped to disk. The movie starts with no audio and stops with a message about a video problem and can not be played, wish I wrote it down but didn't because people were waiting. I had a hunch the windows stand alone PDVD 11 player would work so I closed down WMC and launched the standalone. The movie then played fine with a few exceptions. 1.) dropped frames/little choppy in appearance and annoying. 2.) audio stuck in PCM and I was informed of problems with this by someone and no matter what I tried it insisted on PCM and not bitstream.

Is there any configuaration I can set to tell PDVD 11 to just let the WMC player handle the VIDEO_VTS folder rips? or all vob files for that matter. I think the standalone player had file associations as an option to set...I'm still new to PDVD.

To be honest I trial tested both TMT 5 & PDVD 11 and found TMT to have just to many bugs and beta releases to cure all the complaints and yet the latest broke other functionality on me. Wish I had spent more time testing PDVD because if there is no cure for playing movie rips then this is not going to be good. I purchased the Ultra because I was told it plays rips...maybe so but not inside WMC. Now people in the other room watching the movie just called me in because of a problem. When I rip movies to disk I use AnyDVD & 1ClickDVDCopy and I make a movie only copy...no menu, extras, etc. I hate all that junk and is one of my reasons for the rips...just to play the movie. The standalone player stops after each .vob file and they must click on the next to start it again. Because of the presence of the .ifo they use get get pieced together and play consecutive just fine. I can burn a DVD of the rip and all files are pieced together fine for a movie only full copy.

Here's my HTPC setup, and it's a bran new build in case this info was wanted.
- HTPC CASE NMEDIAPC|HTPC 5000B
- MB GIGABYTE|GA-A75M-UD2H HD3
- APU AMD | A8-3870K 3.0G 4M FM1
- MEM 2Gx2|CORSAIR CMX4GX3M2A1600C8
- SSD 64G|CRUCIAL CT064M4SSD2
- HDD 2T|WD WD20EARX
- TV CARD CETON | INFINITV 4
- PSU OCZ|OCZ500MXSP 500W
- BLU-RAY BURNER LG| WH12LS38
- Windows 7/64 primarily for WMC
Go to: