Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Free upgrade from PowerDVD 11 Ultra to PowerDVD 12 Ultra after release date?
jeff424242 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 02, 2012 11:40 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Does anyone know if there will be a grace period upgrade for PowerDVD 11 Ultra to PowerDVD 12 Ultra now that version 12 has been released?

I know some programs will allow for a free or very low cost upgrade if purchasing the prior version right at the time of release or right after release of a newer version.
Ken62465 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 08, 2012 23:27 Messages: 25 Offline
[Post New]
That would be nice seeing how I bought PDVD 11 a month ago and 30 days later I'm biuying it again? I don't think so. Having a free to cheap upgrade for this case would restore my frustration and make me a believer and not saying, "yet another typical software developer and situation".
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
CyberLink policy is that they will supply a free upgrade to the latest version provided that the release date is within 30 days of purchase.
Unfortunately, unlike some other other software providers who automatically send a link for the new upgrade, it is necessary for you to contact Technical Support, providing them with all necessary proof of purchase information.

Robert Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
Ken62465 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I just dug up my electronic receipt and it's dated Jan. 15th so it's 3 weeks ago I made the purchase. Guess I have to email tecnical support. If this goes well and smooth my hats off to Cyberlink as I've been down this road before and was basically told to bad.
Ken62465 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I just inquired to tech support and attached the electronic receipt I received so I'll report back how this goes.
Ken62465 [Avatar]
[Post New]
still waiting for a reply.
Ken62465 [Avatar]
[Post New]
3 days and still not a response from support.
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

the support is available Monday - Friday and will come back to you once they have an answer related to your inquiry.

thanks for your patience
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
Ken62465 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you
irish003 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 28, 2009 15:27 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Don't waste your time or money with PowerDVD 12 Ultra. It is bloatware that doesn't run that well. I tried to run a Blu-ray image on my hard drive to check my output before burning a disc and it wouldn't play, I then tried to play an actual Blu-ray disc and it couldn't find the disc. I kept getting the error "CyberLink PowerDVD cannot access the storage device. Select another device when playback stops." I could never select another device. When I went to uninstall PowerDVD 12, the uninstall took for ever. Software is too buggy and too slow. I have been a PowerDVD user since version 4 and this upgrade was a great disappointment.
Ken62465 [Avatar]
[Post New]
well after days of waiting for a response I received one from tech support and they claimed I was eligible for the free upgrade but that I would not receive the link for it until the end of February, which I thought odd making one wait a month for it when they excepted it. In any event I might try it and see if any better than v11, if not I'll resort back. v11 has it's share of issues but works ok.
irish003 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I went back to v11, v12 was way too slow and buggy. One bug actually disabled v12 where it would not work, so I had to uninstall it. The uninstall took between 15 and 20 minutes. I had never had an uninstall take that long, so uninstalling and installing (Cyberlink's normal way of fixing an issue) is not the way to go.
nayan007 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Dec 05, 2011 22:50 Messages: 52 Offline
[Post New]
Hi irish003,

Sometimes you fail to install PowerDVD 12 or face other issue while installing.
In such cases please use the PowerDVD 12 cleaner software attached to this thread:

How-To use the cleaner:

- download the file
- save it to the desktop
- unpack the ZIP
- run the "CLCleaner_PDVD12.exe"

after this procedure you should be able to install PDVD 12

In case you have Problem with Upgrade installation and previous Version can not uninstall please check: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/21448.page

PowerDVD 7 Cleaner
PowerDVD 8 Cleaner
PowerDVD 9 Cleaner
PowerDVD 10 Cleaner
PowerDVD 11 Cleaner !! Love Cyber-Link !!
irish003 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I didn't need to use the cleaner. Version 12 initially worked for the first couple DVD's and a couple Blu-rays. The problem only occurred after I tried to watch a Blu-ray image on my hard drive. When I attempted to switch back to using the Blu-ray reader that is when the error started. I could never get it to switch back to using my Blu-ray reader. I have used the cleaners many many times and really never found them to do anything. When I upgraded to version 10, I actually wasted half a day installing and uninstalling and running the cleaners. Nothing I did would fix the problem with version 10. With version 11, I did not go with the upgrade because I had nightmares with version 9 and version 10. With version 11 I purchased the full product and I could not have been happier, it worked fine right out of the box.
KorbenD [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 12, 2010 16:41 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
I submitted a request for the free upgrade on February 7th. Other than a cursory "we're checking this" I haven't received a reply.

It was well within the 30 day window of the purchase of 11, so you'd think this would be a relatively simple request . . .
flogger123 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jan 24, 2012 08:22 Messages: 63 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Korben. I think you should be able to get it pretty soon since the purchase date would show up in their database. I just got mine today.
KorbenD [Avatar]
[Post New]
And yet another example of the underwhelming support from Cyberlink. After over a week of waiting, I finally get this reply:

"Thank you for contacting CyberLink Technical Support.

I understand your concern related with upgrade to PowerDVD 12 software.

Considering you a valuable customer of CyberLink, I would like to offer a 50% discount coupon to you, so as to upgrade to PowerDVD 12 version software from your current version.

Please find the Coupon code as provided below, which you can enter at the time of purchase of the upgrade to avail the 50% discount."

Wow.

I bought version 11 the software on January 5th. I had to wait to get a working copy of it until the 13th.

26 days after my initial purchase they release version 12 and the best they'll offer is 50% off . . .
Ken62465 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I got mine today finally.
KorbenD [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ok, got another response today. They removed the original answer that offered the 50% discount and put this in its place:

"Dear Rick,

Thank you for writing back.

I understand your concern Free Upgrade to PowerDVD 12.

This is to inform you that we have escalated your concern with details to our Product & Development team for further analysis.

We will get back to you <snipped incident number> as soon as we get updates about your case.

I would appreciate your patience and understanding regarding the same.

Please feel free to contact us back for any further clarification or for any assistance related to CyberLink Products. Use the below mentioned link to get back to us for your further queries:

https://membership.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/support-login.jsp

Thanks and Regards,

Sorokhaibam
CyberLink Technical Support"

Fingers crossed that this gets straightened out soon.
bobmitch [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 17, 2012 13:49 Messages: 35 Offline
[Post New]
I sent in a request and was replied to within a day. I was asked to wait for an upgrade by the end of Feb. Received the upgrade on 2/16. Cyberlink came through for me. My copy of PowerDVD was purchased directly from Cyberlink via Digital River.