Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Quote: Hi Andrew - long time, no hear!

An editor of your calibre shouldn't be kept out of action by poor hardware. Great to see you're setting yourself up with a better PC.

If it has to be a laptop, then I'd say that one would be a good choice for editing with PD10/11 etc. The specs stack up very well in reviews & CPU/GPU benchmark tests at PassMark & Tom's Hardware. It's set up for 3D too.

Have you considered the MX18, which sports dual GTX 580Ms? In gaming terms it out performs the single GPU setup considerably. I know gaming isn't video editing & there's been quite a bit written in these forums about the relative merits of dual GPU systems.

I'm no tech-head. I'm just going on comparison tests & reviews... which seem to indicate that the MX17 would probably outperform my desktop PC, which does fine with PD10 & what I've asked of it.

Just a lay view.

Cheers - Tony

Cool, and dual GTX580's would definitely do the trick

Good info Tony

-Z
That should be more than enough. I guess the only other thing you could possibly have is a 10k speed sata drive. But that comp should do the job.

I have a 6core 2.8ghz 8gig GTX550ti 1tb hd.

So that comp should be good.

-Zach
Quote: The fastest CPU, fastest Video Card and the biggest hard drive(s) one can afford.

Carl, I have to say im doubting whether or not that system would work. ;

-Zach
Quote: The slowest part of video editing is loading the video into memory, then processing (CPU/GPU and lots and lots of memory), then the result is output back to file.

Having input/source on one drive and outputing to a different (physical not logical) drive avoids system buffering and waits as the read/write heads are moved on the drives. A third drive should be available for page file (most use system drive) else have lots of memory. When windows needs more room if write active memory space out to disk ("paging") uses the space, then reads old data back in. During producing this can cost a lot of time.

SATA III is 6MB/s SATA II is 3 MB/s and SATA (orginal) is 1.5 MB/s, faster transfer rate is best, bigger cache (8MB,16MB,64MB etc) is better.

Nice!
Quote:
Is there a way for me to upgrade to ultra without buying the whole package over? I am not upgrading from 8 or 9 as I seen that option.

From what I have seen and read, there is no good upgrade from Deluxe to Ultra within the same major version.

I would buy the ULTRA to begin with.

Which is what I have, albeit PD 9.

Quote: Zach,
You should contact CyberLink Customer Support, provide proof of purchase of PD10 Deluxe and state you'd like to purchase PD10 Ultra. It might take a couple of days (weekend) but you should be given info etc.

http://www.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/index.do

Dafydd

Thanks to both of you for great info!

-Zach
Quote: It is a matter of the more features in Ultra and its a 64 bit program.

Deluxe is still a 32 bit program and has less features than Ultra.

Comparison chart.
http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector/compare_en_US.html

Either one will work on Windows 7 64 bit.
Deluxe will install as a 32 bit program.

Thanks man, and thanks for being patient with me lol. I know this question gets asked a lot im sure.

Is there a way for me to upgrade to ultra without buying the whole package over? I am not upgrading from 8 or 9 as I seen that option.

Thanks,

-Z
Hey guys,

Just upgraded my computer and I had a question, I was running Windows vista and now im running 64bit Win7. So am I going to have to get ultra? Or does it matter?

-Zach
Quote:
Quote:
Quote: And the number one thing I did to improve performance was add 3 additional SATA drives, and keep video on one, media on another, and output to the third.

I can't say as I grasp this. Can you explain how/why this makes PD better/faster, etc?

Its a heck of a way to be organized for sure. ;-)

-Z
nice!
Quote: If you decide to replace your video card, check the power requirements first. Some of those honkers need a lot more power than is typical.

For sure, I have been reading on that. I am going to go ahead and upgrade both. Thanks though for the heads up regardless. Good looking out!

-Zach
Quote: I would like an Intel Core i7 with 8GB RAM with Windows 7 64-bit OS.

Here are the requirements: http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector/requirements_en_US.html

Cool, I appreciate it.

-Zach
Quote: I'll be in trouble if I get started, based on what you have you should let your experience level tell you when you need to improve performance. I'm reasonably new to PD, and was put in charge of creating some team videos. My system specs are similar, and my STOCK installation was adequate to do what was needed. I began tweaking and making changes, the single most important things I did to improve stability was to get the latest driver set for my FirePro V3750 Display Board. Keeping the system drivers up to date was equally important. And the number one thing I did to improve performance was add 3 additional SATA drives, and keep video on one, media on another, and output to the third. I also enable "Write Back Cache" with a UPS of course....

I wish I was more creative now...... :)

Awesome!

-Zach
Good to hear lol, it needs to work. At least for a short time. What should I look to replace it with? Spec?
Cool, good to hear PD will keep me interested

Thanks
Hey everyone,

I currently run,

Win7 64bit
AMD 6core 2.8ghz
8gb DDR3
ATI Card

What system specs do you prefer when running video editing software?

What are some upgrades you would like to do?

-Zach
Hey guys and gals,

1. When doing video editing, at what stage would I need to start looking for higher end software?

2. What is the next level up as far as video editing needs?

3. What requires the need to go to a higher end software? (Nearly the same as question 1)

I appreciate it.

-Zach
Question for the super computer guru's.

Is it possible to do video editing with a ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb?

Other comp specs,

6core 2.8ghz AMD
8 gig DDR3
1 TB hd

This card will be in there for 2 weeks, just curious if anyone else runs it or if someone knows the specs well
enough to tell me if it will hold up to the job for a short time.

Previous card in this machine was a HD 5450 which is utterly useless...

-Zach
Thanks guys, the filming part had some great advice Some of those techniques I didnt even know.

But what I mean is,

Where to begin when starting a edit project ( When your actually done filming and editing the footage )

Steps to start the process of editing the footage.

But I have a few edit savy guys coming over to help me. Its hard to explain things over a reply box.

All of you including David have been extremely helpful. When I get done with my first edit project would you
guys like to see it?

-Z
Quote:

Or the sticky at the top of the forum! Dafydd really works his butt off for us

David

FYI I watched those, and they were excellent. But they were not the info I was looking for. And your correct, Dafydd deserves a ton of respect for taking time and busting his but for new users like me.

Thanks Dafydd!

-Z
Thanks everyone! I am very appeciative. Even to my angry hell bent get even friend David.

David, It seems like your on a mission to make me look stupid lol. I appreciate that, it helps me learn faster
haha.

Thanks everyone else that posted up some amazing very helpful info. I cant wait to dive into those links in the morning.

-Zach
Go to: