Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
System specs that you prefer when doing video editing :-)
[Post New]
Hey everyone,

I currently run,

Win7 64bit
AMD 6core 2.8ghz
8gb DDR3
ATI Card

What system specs do you prefer when running video editing software?

What are some upgrades you would like to do?

-Zach Afghan 04-05 / Iraq 05-06 / Iraq 07-08
Outdoor Video
andrew3202 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: indiana Joined: Sep 29, 2011 22:10 Messages: 24 Offline
[Post New]
I'll be in trouble if I get started, based on what you have you should let your experience level tell you when you need to improve performance. I'm reasonably new to PD, and was put in charge of creating some team videos. My system specs are similar, and my STOCK installation was adequate to do what was needed. I began tweaking and making changes, the single most important things I did to improve stability was to get the latest driver set for my FirePro V3750 Display Board. Keeping the system drivers up to date was equally important. And the number one thing I did to improve performance was add 3 additional SATA drives, and keep video on one, media on another, and output to the third. I also enable "Write Back Cache" with a UPS of course....

I wish I was more creative now...... :)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 29. 2011 10:23

Xerox [Avatar]
Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Aug 09, 2009 01:36 Messages: 446 Offline
[Post New]
I would like an Intel Core i7 with 8GB RAM with Windows 7 64-bit OS.

Here are the requirements: http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector/requirements_en_US.html Gateway DX4380, AMD A8-5500 Quad Core 3.2GHz with ATI Radeon HD 7560D; 16GB RAM; 1 TB SATA 7200 RPM; Windows 8 Pro 64-bit; PDR11, PDVD12.
[Post New]
Quote: I'll be in trouble if I get started, based on what you have you should let your experience level tell you when you need to improve performance. I'm reasonably new to PD, and was put in charge of creating some team videos. My system specs are similar, and my STOCK installation was adequate to do what was needed. I began tweaking and making changes, the single most important things I did to improve stability was to get the latest driver set for my FirePro V3750 Display Board. Keeping the system drivers up to date was equally important. And the number one thing I did to improve performance was add 3 additional SATA drives, and keep video on one, media on another, and output to the third. I also enable "Write Back Cache" with a UPS of course....

I wish I was more creative now...... :)

Awesome!

-Zach

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 29. 2011 10:22

[Post New]
Quote: I would like an Intel Core i7 with 8GB RAM with Windows 7 64-bit OS.

Here are the requirements: http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector/requirements_en_US.html

Cool, I appreciate it.

Outdoor Video
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: And the number one thing I did to improve performance was add 3 additional SATA drives, and keep video on one, media on another, and output to the third.

I can't say as I grasp this. Can you explain how/why this makes PD better/faster, etc?

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Nov 29. 2011 10:23

[Post New]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote: And the number one thing I did to improve performance was add 3 additional SATA drives, and keep video on one, media on another, and output to the third.

I can't say as I grasp this. Can you explain how/why this makes PD better/faster, etc?

Its a heck of a way to be organized for sure. ;-)

-Z

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 29. 2011 10:24

Rocket-Scientist
Senior Member Location: HUNTSVILLE, ALABAMA Joined: Apr 23, 2010 10:14 Messages: 288 Offline
[Post New]
The slowest part of video editing is loading the video into memory, then processing (CPU/GPU and lots and lots of memory), then the result is output back to file.

Having input/source on one drive and outputing to a different (physical not logical) drive avoids system buffering and waits as the read/write heads are moved on the drives. A third drive should be available for page file (most use system drive) else have lots of memory. When windows needs more room if write active memory space out to disk ("paging") uses the space, then reads old data back in. During producing this can cost a lot of time.

SATA III is 6MB/s SATA II is 3 MB/s and SATA (orginal) is 1.5 MB/s, faster transfer rate is best, bigger cache (8MB,16MB,64MB etc) is better. RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
(2 NVME 2TB, 1 SSD 2TB, 3SATA 18TB )
PD18 ULTIMATE 64bit
WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BIT
GIGABYTE X570 AORUS PRO WIFI MB
RYZEN 7 3700X 8-CORE , 64 GB DDR4
ORSAIR HX1050 watts PSU
[Post New]
Quote: The slowest part of video editing is loading the video into memory, then processing (CPU/GPU and lots and lots of memory), then the result is output back to file.

Having input/source on one drive and outputing to a different (physical not logical) drive avoids system buffering and waits as the read/write heads are moved on the drives. A third drive should be available for page file (most use system drive) else have lots of memory. When windows needs more room if write active memory space out to disk ("paging") uses the space, then reads old data back in. During producing this can cost a lot of time.

SATA III is 6MB/s SATA II is 3 MB/s and SATA (orginal) is 1.5 MB/s, faster transfer rate is best, bigger cache (8MB,16MB,64MB etc) is better.

Nice! Afghan 04-05 / Iraq 05-06 / Iraq 07-08
Outdoor Video
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
The fastest CPU, fastest Video Card and the biggest hard drive(s) one can afford.
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

[Post New]
Quote: The fastest CPU, fastest Video Card and the biggest hard drive(s) one can afford.

Carl, I have to say im doubting whether or not that system would work. ;

Outdoor Video
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: The fastest CPU, fastest Video Card and the biggest hard drive(s) one can afford.

Carl, I have to say im doubting whether or not that system would work. ;

-Zach

That is pretty much the way I built the system I have now. The Video card is getting a bit old now, but the CPU and Hard drive are doing fine.

At the time I built this system, the CPU was nearly $200 as was the Video card.
I have upgraded the Hard drive. The old hard drive is still in the system as a backup drive. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
Given that the shelf life of a PC model is about the same as fresh fruit, you have a fundamental choice to make:

• Buy the best off-the-shelf model you can afford, and when it becomes obsolete in three weeks just suck it up.
  • Buy or build a custom-made system that you know can be upgraded component by component as you need or can afford.

• There are also "gamer" systems that fall in between. They are way more expensive than you'll find in a retail store, but not only will they have bleeding-edge components but they'll be upgradable. You can get an idea by checking http://computers.toptenreviews.com/gaming/. You'll see things like video cards with 6GB of on-board memory, three-year warranties, and 1000w power supplies.

The big things to avoid are on-board video "cards", limited memory slots, "slimline" cases, and a small power supply. The latter is the obstacle here. I'm competent to replace the power supply, but it's always a question of what will fit and how much disassembly I'll have to do.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 29. 2011 15:54

Jerry Schwartz
    Waltermh [Avatar]
    Newbie Location: A traveler Joined: Nov 29, 2011 09:36 Messages: 12 Offline
    [Post New]
    I am new to video editing, but I think my gaming laptop does well for editing, though it cost $1400
    Asus G74
    Win 7 64bit
    i7 Quad Core 2630 1.9ghz with overclock to 2.6ghz
    12G ram
    Nvidia 560M 3GB ram
    I asked in another thread how much a 5400(?) rpm HDD affects things.

Annoyingly just 2 weeks after I got this laptop a new version of G74 at same price was released with 2.1ghz cpu and 7200 rpm HDD
    Oh well, but laptop HDDs are expensive and then the cost of copying the system over, I dont know that I want to mess with it.
    Anyway, my point is, I think its nice since I render in slightly less time than the length of the video so far.
    4min test video took 3min30sec using 3 effects and 2 transitions at 720p 30f mp4 Windows 7
    Intel i7 1.9 ghz quad core with overclock to 2.6
    12GB RAM
    NVidia 3GB 560M GPU
    Sadly 5200 RPM Internal HDD