Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
My '14' is somewhat out of date (an understatement!), unreliable and I am considering updating to the lastest version 21. Can part prepared edits on PDS files and Packed Projects be opened on version 21 for continuing edits.
Quote Hello RonH,

Am I correct in assuming that "SOLVED" means you've conquered it for yourself?

PIX

Solved via FileCommander app. But maybe there is an easy method, directly within the Photodirector app?
I would add that PD is quite brilliant and I regularly use it to make compositions.
I am struggling to resolve this import. I have only 1 image in the Google Photos Photodirector folder but there are many more in the actual tablet Google Photos folder. There does not appear to be any kind of download link to bulk import the images I want to edit?

The latest app versions are installed.
Help appreciated

This is a good question. Mp4 is universally accepted on all current smartphones that I know of. Try this: The next time you want to produce a video of small file sizes, go say Produce/Device/ Android. The default 320 x 180/30p (512 Kbps) should be good enough for small phone screens.

The Produce/Device/Apple/iphone selections look to be about the same that you can use. You can increase the Profile name/Quality to the desired.

The Produce/Standard 2D/Windows Media/320x240/30p (160 Kbps) works with Windows for a small file size. I have posted it in the PD Forums as an attachment when small file sizes are required. Unfortunately my android phone photos default player doesn’t play them. I have a different player installed that will play them.

I believe most people have an android phone. Choose your desired selection.

Thanks for these tips ... hope that this is of help to others who 'group email videos'
Cheers Ron
With Windows, Android and IPad, which small file video format is the most suited to 'all'. MP4 has large file sizes, AVI is OK but often cannot be played due to lack of a programme installed in receivers device eg VLC.

I only need to send short video greetings to a mixed device group, sending small file sizes due to our broadband limitations.
Thanks Ron
I did decide to contact Cyberlink ... this is their reply.

There is no setting that can enlarge PowerDirector interface font size currently.
[Further searching ... this might help with dpi issues.
https://www.wintips.org/fix-very-small-fonts-in-high-dpi-4%CE%BA-monitors-in-windows-10/#method-1
Quote I'm sorry your OP ended up falling through the cracks and wasn't answered.

There are several related threads on the forum, though. Did you search first? This one may be helpful, although it was posted after your first post.

Been 'absent' from PD for some time. Thanks for link. The problem is that change of text scaling is only necessary with PD. I don't think sending a request to Cyberlink is useful now since they have not taken any action to resolve high dpi issues. Will resort to dual screen operation with larger ext screen.

Thanks for taking time out.
I raised this question some time ago ... is there a solution using PD on a high dpi laptop without resorting to a larger ext screen or perhaps changing the settings on W10 main display.
Thanks for helping my ageing grey matter rearrange its connectors ... I was sure that I had raised this burn issue some years prior on an earlier PD spoftware but didn't know where.

Since you posted I have a solution. If I burn to a file from the Timeline I can then select the TS file and burn successfully using another supplier burning software. No distortion. Somehow the Cyberlink Burn to Disc is causing the image distortion which I solved last time with the then available Windows DVD Burner on Windows 7 ... not available on Windows 10.

Since this issue also occurred in my previous PD11 software I can only assume that there is some incompatablity. The pc I am now using is also not the same one as I used with PD 11.

When I get the opportunity I may test the Cyberlink dvd burner software again, burning from file instead of from the produced mp4 video or from the timeline.

Thanks for the memory awakening.

More searching ... I have just found this:
https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/78420.page

Maybe the stretching/shrinking is a factor of not using a Menu ... I will try to also check this out again.
I am having difficulties burning a dvd to the correct shape of 16/9 or standard ... the result is a side squash making eg folk nice and slim! PD 14 is tested compatible with Windows 10.

Checked all settings in Edit and Burning and they seem to be correct. Settings in DVD Player are also correct. What else should I check?

It is a while since I have used the forum ... where can I find my prior topics?

Thanks Ron

I have been completely UNABLE to get my MX150 to work with PD17. I've tried every trick I could find!

You could try (on Windows 10) to go to Settings/Display/Graphics Settings and browse for the PD17 PDR exe. I have mine working but its an earlier version of PD. However based on what has been advised on this thread perhaps setting this does not really offer any benefits. Others more expert than myself maybe able to assist.
Good luck.
All text sizes/icons are very small in eg Preferences etc on my new machine.
What is the recommended programme solution.
Thanks again for your detailed reply ... gives me a lot to think about. I recognise the age of PD 14 (started myself with PD9) but my existing (getting unreliable) and dated gear comprising of i7 2630 QM, 8GB RAM and Radeon (TM) HD 6770M has always struggled somewhat when doing complex Editing. It has been necessary to 'power' it on maximum efficiency and put up with the occasional freeze or PD crash. However, overall it has served its purpose so no complaints.

From what you say and what I have read, an Intel i5-8250U is a big improvement on the early Sandy i7-2630QM. It is a more regular 'sale' and hence represents good value ... even here in Norway! Again, models also often include the Nvidia GeForce MX 150 but I guess that this is not a disadvantage and perhaps may offer some other graphics advantages (over combined graphics) for applications other than PD14 ... such as image editing using GIMP or Raw Therapy. Further reading illustrates that little use is made of GPU on GIMP & RTh.

Most laptops in my price range here incorporate 8GB RAM with some having upgrade ppossibilities if it is insufficient for my video production style.

So unless I hear that 'this is a bad decision' I think I will proceed with an i5 version.

Cheers Ron

Generally speaking, you don't want to go from an i7 to an i5. i7s have hyperthreading, which effectively doubles the processing it can do on supported apps (like PD) compared to an i5. If you're going to get a new laptop, get the newer generation i7 as well.

If you're producing to DVD, then I assume you won't be working with any very high resolution clips, like 2k or 4k, so there probably isn't a pressing need to get a laptop with a discrete GPU. Personally, in your shoes I'd skip that and get a bigger SSD to go with the i7.

Hello again. I have done a lot of reading and one thread ...

https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/46836.page

... has left me somewhat confused! Is the current situation that PD14 will not make use of a Nvidia GeForce MX 150, 2 GB? I am looking to purchase a laptop that does incorporate Intel i7 (8th gen) with 16GB Ram but it also has this GPU preinstalled.
Could it be something to do with Create Disc/Menu preferences/Menu structure.
Just a thought.
Quote Go to Create Disc/2D Disc and post a screenshot of the full page. It is possible that someone may see a change in setting that may help since you said that “Strange really because all of my past DVD's have played correctly”.

In between posts I have solved it! My initial attempts had Burn Settings with no Menu preference and, for reasons that I cannot fathom out, wrong scaling occurred. My last test settings included a Menu Preference (Travel) and scale at 16:9 (for the 4;3 Edit) and was OK. I am shortly going to change my early generation i7 laptop with a current i7 version and will revisit this issue to see if it was perhaps some 'clash' between a W7/W10 upgrade and PD14.

Thanks to both of you for taking time out to assist. Much appreciated.
Quote I have burned discs both as 4:3 and as 4:3 in a 16:9 frame, permanently creating pillar boxes. I prefer 4:3 au natural.
If the TV does not recognise it as expected you have to use the TV clicker/remote to alter the viewing aspect. I don't think it's a PD issue, it's a TV issue. I will happily allow myself to be corrected but I believe I am right.

Thanks Barry ... I will use up some more discs to see if I can solve it. Strange really because all of my past DVD's have played correctly, though I seem to recall about a year ago I had difficulty after I had upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 ut that might have been a compatibility issue with PD14/W10 at that time.
Using PD 14 on Windows 10 I burn a DVD using Cyberlink Burn from a Produced .mpg video Edited & Produced in 4:3 format. The result on a 16:9 TV is that the video is stretched top/bottom. The .mpg video plays correctly on the pc. No settings have been altered on the Panasonic BlueRay Player and other dvd's are correctly sized.

I recall this problem occurring before but cannot find my notes about settings ... sorry, its some time since I used the programme. I have searched for specific comment but without success. Should I burn the 4:3 .mpg in 16.9 to obtain the correct shape? Or given it is a Panasonic DVD Player then perhaps I should use AVCHD Produce and burn this ... I recall that Panasonic can accept AVCHD.

Bit confused and hope someone can straighten me out.
Thanks Ron
Thanks for your continuing support.

Yesterday I Produced this Edit and started the next section, clean. Produced OK and current Timeline functioning correctly. To avoid any possible 'contamination' I deleted the faulty Edit and cleared the temp files.

Should I experience this specific problem again I will post & perhaps then would be a good time to revisit possible causes. Most likely it was something I corrupted on the Timeline and not a system issue; it's been some months since I last used PD. I even had forgotten how to post an image on the forum ... took me 3 goes before the 'cogs' clicked in to remind me that you don't get to see that the image link is actually present when previewing the post!

Cheers Ron
Go to: