Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Power Director 14 to 21 (purchased versions)
RonH
Contributor Location: Norway (from Australia) Joined: Sep 05, 2011 10:13 Messages: 364 Offline
[Post New]
My '14' is somewhat out of date (an understatement!), unreliable and I am considering updating to the lastest version 21. Can part prepared edits on PDS files and Packed Projects be opened on version 21 for continuing edits. CYa Ron (W10/i5gen8/Nvidia)
Someone famous once said: "We only have the 4th dimension of 'time' so that everything does not all happen at once"
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Quote My '14' is somewhat out of date (an understatement!), unreliable and I am considering updating to the lastest version 21. Can part prepared edits on PDS files and Packed Projects be opened on version 21 for continuing edits.

Hi,

My understanding is that more recent versions of PDR are always compatible with older versions but not the reverse. So your PDR14 project files will be opened by PDR21. Anything that is saved in PDR21 will not be opened by PDR14, 15, 16 etc.

However, there is a chance that some elements in PDR14 might not be available in 21 - perhaps certain effects, for instance - and then you may have to re-look at what PDR21 has used instead (if anything). So it is always best to open an older project and then save it under a different name, to retain the original if things don't work out. Many folk have fallen foul of opening an older project , working on it, saving it and then losing the ability to edit the project in the old PDR version if they need to!

For completeness, different perpetual versions of PDR can exist and be used on the same system (not concurrently). I have PDR8 through to 19 and 365 versions on my system.

If you "upgrade" to a newer version you will lose the older version, if you buy a full license you will retain access to both versions.

As always, it is recommended that you back up your existing data and programs, either individually or via a system image pathway, just in case disaster strikes!

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do