Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Sorry this is an old post but I am having the same problem. The troubleshooting steps have not worked.

The Cyberlink Uninstaller doesn't work and Photodirector is now missing in the Control Panel Uninstall window. All the files are still on mky computer.

I used a good Registry cleaner and still no go. This corrupt version of PhotoDirector is stuck on my PC and I can't get rid of it!!!
Thanks! That really helps... I might just make the leap to the Panasonic TM700 now. That is, if I can find 800.00 laying around.
Yes, it will work. I'm not sure what your expectations around speed are though.

Most basic laptops suffer from two main problems:

1. Slow hard drive
2. Integrated Graphics

I would download the Trial version and see how it works for you! It might be just fine for your needs.
Sorry, I know there have been a few posts on this topic but can someone please provide a definitive, concise answer as if PD 9 will support 1080/60P? How does it handle this format?

Does it convert the 28MG AVCHD video (as it imports) to a lesser Interlaced format? Can it import at all since it's out of spec for AVCHD?

Does anyone work with 1080/60P video? Is it really worth it to buy a video camera that uses this format? Or, is it simply overkill for most needs?

Thanks,
Kevin
From Apple:

QuickTime and MPEG-4 movie files that end in ".mov", ".m4v", or ".mp4" and are playable in QuickTime Player.

H.264 and protected H.264 (from iTunes Store): Up to 5 Mbps, Progressive Main Profile (CAVLC) with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps (maximum resolution: 1280 by 720 pixels at 24 fps, 960 by 540 pixels at 30 fps) in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats

One of the things I got caught on was the 24fps vs. 30fps. The "old" apple TV can't play HD 1280 by 780P at 30fps, you have to use 24.
I deal with this ALL the time. I don't make movies that are very long so the process isn't that arduous. Maybe when Apple sells a bunch more Apple TVs we will see more direct support for the format!
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2372982,00.asp

Latest PD 9.0 Review. 4 1/2 Stars, Editors Choice!

It's lot of it is trial and error which is exactly what you are doing.

Try h.264 also. It makes good quality output at low bit rates.
Wow, this question has a potentially huge and complicated answer. There are classes and text books on video production Do a Google search on video file sizes and quality, you will get a lot to sort through. Also check video Formats

It's really all about the original file size and format used to shoot your video. Pixels are pixels no matter if it's a video or a photo. Most all of use compressed video whether it's standard or HD format. Popular formats are MPEG2, AVCHD, MPEG4, MPEG 4 (H.264) and the old standard .AVI.

In theory, you should shoot in the highest quality available but there are ways to "upscale" standard video to a higher quality.

Most low-mid end photo cameras and dedicated video cameras shoot in at least 1280x720P HD. Smaller video file sizes are generally for posting to a web page or emailing. When burning a video to DVD or for playback on your computer you should use as close to the source video size as possible.

To minimize your trial and error you can use a stand along video converter/video upscaler software like vReveal, run your clips though this and see what looks best. Cyberlink also has a good Video Converter program. It can be a time consuming process though, none the less.

I'm afraid I've provided a terribly inadequate response... other folks on this board are smarter than I and can hopefully add something of more substance. Good luck.
I couldn't help but jump in here as I just built a new PC mainly for video editing.

If you aren't feeling that adventurous, you can custom build a new PC easily from Dell or HP at their web sites.

What's your budget? That is big determining factor.

Some things to look for in a new video editing system:

1. Intel i5 or i7 processor - I have an i7 930 which I highly recommend. AMD isn't as good for video editing in general.
2. At least two fast hard drives: one for your OS and programs, one for your video editing "scratch" drive and other multimedia. I have 2 WD 1GIG Caviar Black SATA drives but if I had the money I would opt for Solid State Drives (or at least one).
3. A good motherboard (I like ASUS) that will allow you to expand and is rock solid.
4. A separate CPU cooling system if you plan to overclock your processor. This is important! The one that comes stock with the Intel CPU is not sufficient for overclocking.

Of lesser importance:

1. Video card - you want something current from ATI or Nvidia but it doesn't need to be top of the line expensive unless you're a big gamer.
2. RAM - go with 6MG regular memory (I have Corsair), again the super expensive "fast" memory isn't critical to have.
3. USB Backup drive!
4. DVD/Blu Ray drive - if you want to have your video on physical media for distribution, etc.

Good luck!

Kevin
Although video card prowess isn't necessarily a prerequisite for an editing system, a low end card can definitely impact what you see on the screen, i.e previews, refreshes, etc.

I just installed a new NVIDIA based GTX 460 card which I love, but that was 229.00 (200.00 after rebate)

I would actually recommend the ATI 5770 which is in that 150.00 range on newegg.com.

On the NVIDIA side the GeForce 9800 GT is still a good card for 100.00 or so or the GTS 450 for a little more.

Make sure you get a 1 GIG version of whatever card you decide.

Hope this helps...

The SAME exact thing happened to me. I re-installed Windows 7 and PD8 worked again. It just so happened I was planning on doing this anyway as I upgrading my hard drives.

My personal opinion is to be very cautious with Registry cleaners and the like. I've used similar software in the past and I think this is what might have caused my PD8 problems.

Good Luck... I know it's a pain, but the new Windows 7 install should fix your PD8 problem.
Yikes, I've been there and understand you're frustration!

The RAM is the easiest and best way to speed things up. Load your laptop with the maximum.

I doubt very much you'll be able to change the other components without some serious headaches.

You might also consider a external 7200 RPM Drive if your VAIO has a 5400.

Also... DEFRAG your drive frequently. Do you use Windows 7? There are also some built in system optimizers there.

Lastly, update your video drivers to the latest.

Good Luck,

Kevin
As a newbie, I just wanted to take a moment to thank all of the regular contributors for making this an excellent Forum.

The quality and friendliness of the responses here were a deciding factor in my decision to purchase PD8 (Espresso is next on my list)!

It truly feels like a community.

Keep up the good work all.

p.s. it's interesting that the community is so multicultural as well! I can get a question answered at off hours in Chicago by someone in Australia!
Thanks Dafydd... something strange with Windows I think like a corrupt registry entry.

I bought new hard drives to set up in a RAID config so I ended up re-installing Windows fresh. I then reinstalled PD8 and it works fine now.
I just removed Quicktime and still no go... Error Message: Power Director Stopped Working, Windows will try to find a solution.
It still won't load. Same windows error message.
This is weird... I replaced my current video card with a new one and now PD8 won't load. I get a Windows error message.

I de-installed PD8 and then re-installed and still it won't load.

All of my other programs appear unaffected.

Any ideas?
I have had a similar problem. and agree with your analysis I'm not crazy about the ATI 5670... this is the only component of my system that I went "cheap" on and I'm starting to regret it.

Also, please keep in mind that "hardware/GPU encoding" is a fuzzy science still... I don't believe they have it worked out yet. The results are inconsistent.

At any rate, I plan on swapping my ATI board out with an NVIDIA 460, 1MG in the near future and give CUDA a try. If it's no better, I can always return it.
Interesting Scott... I'll give it a try. Thanks.
Go to: