Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector 8
[Post New]
I just recently installed PD 8 on my Windows 7 64 bit machine. The installation went fine, and I was able to use it for a while. However, it stopped working and I was unable to get it to start. I get the message' "PowerDirector has stopped working" when I start the program. When I launch the program, the picture of the girl comes on the screen, but then says "PowerDirector has stopped working" and shuts down. I have uninstalled and reinstalled 4 times and I get the same problem. I tried cleaning the registry using CCleaner and still no luck. Updated Quicktime as well. I really don't want to reload the whole operating system to get this to work. Any ideas? Thank you!
Kevin R.
Contributor Location: Deep in the Heart of Texas Joined: Aug 17, 2010 15:58 Messages: 320 Offline
[Post New]
I have seen this same problem posted before. Look through the forums a little bit further back, maybe 5-6 pages. Saving the world, one goofy video and meme at a time.
[Post New]
I have checked and granted there are several similar problems, however no steadfast fix. That's where I got the ideas to use Ccleaner, update Quicktime, etc. I have unistalled and reinstalled about 4 times.

Very frustrating. I sure wish I could get some help.

Thanks for your reply. At least I know someone is reading my post.

Cheers!

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
You need to give us more details about your computer.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page

Part B.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 19. 2010 23:23

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Part A as well from the same link Carl gave please

Dafydd
[Post New]
I must confess, I have not read that link before and will do all of those suggestions tonight when I get home from work.

Thank you for your replies, you have given me hope!

Here is the diagnostic test for my computer.

Also, I tried to install the patch again for PD8 after an uniistall and reinstall and it asks me if I want to uninstall again and I say yes. During the unistallation, I get the following error:

Cant load SKUtil.dll

Since I can't get PD8 to fully open, how can I gdp part A to tell you about the build.

Thanks again!

Filename
minddealingDxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
32 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
565 time(s)
[Thumb - Cyberlink Remove error.JPG]
 Filename
Cyberlink Remove error.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
15 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
184 time(s)
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
1. Program Files > CyberLink > powerDirector > PDR.exe
2. Right click and select Properties.

Note down the information for build version and give ALL the numbers

Thank you for the attachments - i'll download and look at them next.

Dafydd
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Please send me your name and email address.

1. I'm referring this issue to CyberLink.
2. I do have a cleaning tool made by CyberLink that might help.
3. I still require your version details.

Thanks

Dafydd
[Post New]

What cleaning tool are you refering to?
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
If needed I'll provide the cleaning program.

I have sent you a PM for more data.

Thanks

Dafydd
[Moderator]

Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
I've encountered the same problem (Dafydd might know), I'd judge that a problem of Win7.
The message is no PD-errormessage, but comes from the OS.
No idea why, but after 5 frustrane attempts of starting PD, aborted with the mentioned message, it now works flawlessly.

Maybe removing and re-installing PD can solve your problem
Michael.
Kevin66 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Chicago, IL Joined: Aug 23, 2010 12:07 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
The SAME exact thing happened to me. I re-installed Windows 7 and PD8 worked again. It just so happened I was planning on doing this anyway as I upgrading my hard drives.

My personal opinion is to be very cautious with Registry cleaners and the like. I've used similar software in the past and I think this is what might have caused my PD8 problems.

Good Luck... I know it's a pain, but the new Windows 7 install should fix your PD8 problem. Windows 7 Home Premium - 64 Bit
Intel I7 930 (overclocked 3.6)
RAID 0 WD Caviar Black 2GIG, WD Green 1GIG (Backup)
8 GIG Corsair RAM
NVIDIA 1GIG GTX 460
[Post New]
Okay, I think I'll reload Windows this weekend. I have waisted too much time already. Thank you everyone for your input. I'll post an update this weekend.
acm [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 20, 2010 20:54 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, I'm new to PD and this forum.

I import from a Sony HDV camcorder. When in edit, the pc freezes for some lenght of time ( matter of seconds, 10, 20 approx ) whenever I scroll in the timeline.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 20. 2010 21:08

MB: ASUS P6X58D-E X58 R
CPU: Intel I7-930
RAM: Corsair 2 X 3gig, DDR3
VIDEO: ASUS EAH5770, 1gig
Sys HD: WD6402AEX SATAIII, 64 M, 7200
Data HD: WD1.5tb, SATAIII, 64M, 7200
PS: TPX-775W
HalCon
Senior Contributor Location: Charlottetown, PEI Joined: Mar 01, 2008 10:36 Messages: 719 Offline
[Post New]
acm,

Because your issue is different you should start a new thread. Ask a question there.

Also include the information requested in the links, in the above posts, with regards to your system and the details of the project.

I see now that you have most of your system specs in your signature.

Hal

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 20. 2010 21:25

OS - Win11 Pro, Alienware R13, CPU - Intel Core I7-12700KF 12 CPUs), 16g DDR5 4400 RAM, Video - Geeforce RTX 3080ti 12g, PD11 & PD365
My YouTube
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
The reason I passed the thread details on to CL was the issue should have been fixed with 3022 build.... and doesn't appear to have been. I'm seeing the same report splattering the forum... as you are all aware

Thanks for the input everyone and I note "minddealings" proposed actions.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 21. 2010 06:26

[Post New]
Okay, the reaload of Windows 7 fixed my problem. This seemed to be a bit of an overkill, but oh well it's done.
Thanks again everyone for the input.

Good day!