Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Interesting Scott... I'll give it a try. Thanks.
Just a quick follow up... I read the 21% club and I don't have issues burning DVDs, my issue is simply rendering to file using a timeline with complex effects, transitions and upscaling.

Anyway.. thanks, this is a great forum!
Ken, I agree with you 100%. While I can't rule out a issue with my PC, I built it from scratch, tuned it, and keep it tuned. I wish my cars had this much attention!

I expect software to be bug free (or mostly) with tightly written code. I used to have a Mac and I never had any crashes or disruptive bugs in either iMovie or Final Cut Pro Express. Alas, to have the same computing power for video editing on the Mac platform as I do with my PC would cost me a bundle for an upgraded Mac Pro.

Anyway I've played with a bunch of different NLEs over the years and it really seems there is a bug in PD8 that is causing my issues. Kevin's reference back to the 21% club (thanks Kevin) seems to confirm this.

That being said, I think PD8 is still a very innovative, fast, easy to use NLE that I plan to continue to use. I also can hardly demand perfection from something that cost $90.00.

I've been reading some of the PD9 Beta posts and I hope they run the code through the wringer again and see if they can eliminate some of these glitches.
Thanks for your replies.

It really seems like a glitch in the software after some repeated testing. Who knows though...

I have a i7 930 using 8 (virtual) cores and CPU utilization is not 100%. It's strange because I have the same effects earlier in my timeline on a different set of clips and it plows right through that part. I've run msconfig and I'm showing the 8 cores.

Maybe it's the upscaling the .AVI clips at the same time as using one of the power tools?

I guess my main point is that in a 5-6 minute video, PD8 should be able to render whatever I throw at it. As soon as I remove the 2nd instance of my speed effect (after the Blur Transition), it works.

I've also noticed that PD8 always slows in rendering through the transitions more than it should.

I will research further and see if there might be another causal relationship I can identify.
That was it.. it didn't like the fast clip, blur transition then another fast clip with upscaling. I changed the second clip to normal speed and it made it through the complete rendering process.
It hangs with both Hardware acceleration on AND off. The clip goes from a Blur transition to a speeded up clip (2.0 faster). Then it hangs. I am upscaling all of my clip to quasi "HD" from 640x480 .AVI clips. Thanks.
I just made my first (short video) and it hangs while rendering.. always at 71%. It's only a 5 minute video!

Tried several times to .h264 and .mov and the same problem happens.

The program or my computer doesn't lock, it just sits there at 71% and them I get a file error.

Any ideas?
Thanks much.
Thanks. I think I will buy the Ultra version.

I noticed you have two ATI cards. I have one 5770... do two help for video editing or did you choose that config primarily for gaming?

Do you RAID 0 your hard drives for video?

I have an i7 930 homebuilt (3.36 overclock), 8MG RAM and a single WD Caviar Black 1T hard drive.
I've been trialing PowerDirector 8.0 and would love some input from experienced users.

First Impressions:

Fast - I can't believe the rendering speed... granted I have a very fast PC but this thing is quick!

Small Footprint - Adobe and Corel are HUGE hogs, over 1 GIG plus for extra templates, etc

Stable - I haven't tried to "break" it, but I haven't had one glitch yet.

Easy to use - I did a simple 10 minute family move in no time with titles, transitions, effects, etc.

I'm not big on Premiere Elements, it seems slow and cumbersome. Likewise for Corel X3, it crashed twice and actually pauses when I go to the timeline. Vegas is good but it's too slow navigating the interface and getting to more complex features.

Questions:

Overall, how does PD8 perform over a period of a few months? What do you like, don't like? Any rumblings on PD9? Does anyone have the entire suite with photo editing and the full DVD package? Is it worth the extra $$?

Thanks in advance!
Kevin
Go to: