Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How to improve performance?
luke104 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 16, 2010 13:49 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Ok, heres the deal, I am currently using PowerDirector 8 on my sony vaio laptop, the problem is, it is laggy.
When previewing and trimming HD video, my pc cant keep up with the video, creating sound loss, and messed up audio sync, it also means that when exporting the video (to pc or youtube) the audio seems to mess up and go out of sync and/or create a loud annoying chudder sound.
I love the program, and I dont want to stop using it, so how can I improve the performance?
what can I do with the computer without having to opening it up to change hardware?
and..
if I do have to improve the hardware, what component would need upgrading? (i.e graphics card, ram?)
Thanks a lot.
OnTheWeb1
Contributor Location: Michigan USA Joined: Jan 02, 2009 12:58 Messages: 511 Offline
[Post New]
Good luck. Laptop hard drives are slow... if you could get an SSD drive and replace your slow hard drive that would help some. Of course more memory, faster video card, and faster processor would help, too.

A drive Like this would be faster, but very pricey.
http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/solid-state-drives/sata-ii/2-5--sata-ii/performance-enterprise-solid-state-drives/ocz-vertex-2-sata-ii-2-5--ssd.html
Win8 64-bit Pro Retail
Intel i7-4770
16GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24
MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard
ASUS GTX 660 Direct CU II OC 2GB GPU
1 TB RAID 1 (mirrored) Drive Array
Several scratch drives for video, TMP, pagefile.
Kevin66 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Chicago, IL Joined: Aug 23, 2010 12:07 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
Yikes, I've been there and understand you're frustration!

The RAM is the easiest and best way to speed things up. Load your laptop with the maximum.

I doubt very much you'll be able to change the other components without some serious headaches.

You might also consider a external 7200 RPM Drive if your VAIO has a 5400.

Also... DEFRAG your drive frequently. Do you use Windows 7? There are also some built in system optimizers there.

Lastly, update your video drivers to the latest.

Good Luck,

Kevin Windows 7 Home Premium - 64 Bit
Intel I7 930 (overclocked 3.6)
RAID 0 WD Caviar Black 2GIG, WD Green 1GIG (Backup)
8 GIG Corsair RAM
NVIDIA 1GIG GTX 460