Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Story so far.

I have been trying out different options.

Thanks for your response optodata.
The original photo from the scanner without adjustment looks like Initial Scan

As you say PhD5 is old. It only has 4 presets - Flat, Standard, Medium Contrast, and Strong Contrast.
I tried adjusting the scanned image in PhD5 but the best I could achieve is Adjusted image

Thanks also for your response tomasc.
The negatives may normally have an orange tint but there's orange and there's the colour on my negatives. I've taken a digital photo of the negative which looks like Negative

The scanner used is pretty basic but I can confirm that it is set for colour negatives.

I decided that I would take a digital photo of the physical photo in my album. I was pleasantly surprised with the result. See for yourself Digital Photo. All I have to do is solve the curvature on the edge but I can can live with that at present.

I expected the negatives would be better but they have deteriorated much more than photos.

I may go back at a later stage and try to adjust the scanned image using the presets by PIX in DZ. Thanks for the suggestion.
I am in the process of scanning some very old 35mm negatives from 1970s onwards and hoping that this will give me a useful digital backup of my photos.

Unfortunately some of the negatives have not survived in good condition. The negatives themselves look orange and the scanned photos have a green tinge to them (light green sky is quite strange).

I have PhotoDirector5 and thought that it might be posssible to make adjustments to get more realistic photos. However I'm not sure of my success. Possibly with a lot of trial and error I could use PD5 to apply filters or adjust the tone in some way. Is this worth trying? What sort of adjustments may work?

Alternatively - does anyone know of any template which could be used in PD5 to correct the scanned photo?

The photos in the album are not quite so bad as the negatives. Would I have more success in taking a new digital photo of the physical photo?
I tried Handbrake which worked a treat.

Thank you all who responded.

I would like to have downloaded the videos but they are my wife's professional ballroom and latin dance instruction videos. After I worked out how to sort these old videos out for her she decided to re record them in the garden together with the neighbour's lawnmower, another's dog and the wind noise. Oh well such is life in lockdown. At least you can hear the robin sing although not in time with our footwork.
Quote Best bet for any success is to copy VOB from DVD to HD, add to timeline, produce if all is good and use that file for editing.

I have tried from original DVD and from an HD copied file with equal non-success.
If this is what you have done and still an issue, just convert with HandBrake and use those files in PD for editing.

Thanks I'll try Handbrake.

Quote I'm not sure what you mean by "is converted to MP4", you mean you produced a file and input of 37sec matched the produced 37 sec MP4 file?

Yes that's right

Thanks for the info
Quote I remember something like this happening years ago, and the first thing you should do is to update to v4207 which came out 3 years ago. You can download the patch here.

Thanks for the quick reply. I am now on the latest version. However the result is the same!

Thanks for trying.
I am trying to edit some old videos that I made in 2009. These are in VOB format.

I can play them properly using VLC Media player and they have various lengths ranging from about 5 mins to 15 minutes.

When I try to import the shorter 5 minute video. only 37 seconds of it is imported. The details shown on the original file, before importing, show only 37 seconds on disk and only 37 seconds is converted to MP4.

When I try to import the larger, 15 minute video, PowerDirector freezes, The only way to recover the situation is to go into windows task manager and stop PowerDirector.

Any suggestions please.

Using PowerDirector 14.0.2820.0 on Windows 10
Adrian

I followed up on your suggestion to "produce" to the second account desktop. This works - so somehow I DO seem to have my permissions in a mess.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Follow Up: Somehow the Output Folder had been reset to somewhere in my documents folder which does not exist.

Memo to Me: check the settings very carefully when creating a new project.
Quote Hi,

This is not my area of expertise but it sounds more like a Windows account permission issue.

As you can use PD from the 2nd account, as I understand it, it would seem PD has no restriction in that way, but the writing of the produce file kicks up the error.

Maybe try producing to the 2nd account desktop to test. If that works, then the original destination location might be the issue and you might have to delve into the windows permissions undergrowth!!

Let us know any findings.

Cheers

Adrian

Thanks Adrian

I was hoping not to have to delve into Windows Permissions. I'm not very good at these. I'll have a look and let you know.
Problem: When I use PD14 in a second Windows User Account, I receive the following message:-

"The current Permission settings do not allow you to select this location.

Select a different location and then try again."

Does Power Director 14 Have a restriction which prevents it being used on a second Windows user account from the one it was set up on?

Background: My video and other media have very different security and access requirements from my other personal and business files. For this reason I have set them up on my NAS storage (GOFlex) with their own user area, separate from my other files.

Unfortunately this has lead to its own problems since I cannnot access more than one user area on the NAS from my main windows account. It will however, allow two different users, albeit still on the same PC, to access these two user areas on the NAS simultaneously.

I set up an alternative Windows user, still just me with a different name, with the intention of using it to access any media files on the NAS and loading them onto shared folders on the PC. This worked fine while I used PD14 from my main Windows account. However, when I tried to go a step further and use PD14 from the second Windows media account it stopped working. As soon as I try to "produce" a video I get the problem shown above.

Attempted: I have tried a number things to overcome the problem but to no avail. These include:

• Making certain that all folders used by PD14 have all permissions for both users.

• Setting up folders on the Media user and sharing these with Master user.

• Making the Media user into an Administrator.

Everything works perfectly for PD14 on the Master user account, and PD14 has identical settings in both accounts.

Request: If there is a PD14 restriction which allows one Windows user only - could I switch so that the user of PD14 was the Media user not the Master user?
Further to previous posts.

I tried out your suggestions and they worked perfectly.

DVD produced was played first time on player and with menu I was able to select which clip I wanted

thanks

Martin
Quote f) Create Menu structure with 6 buttons per page

??? Now what? How do I get the six chapters showing up, with a link that will take you straight to the appropriate Clip.

Longedge has summed up what needs to done. He already answered while I was typing the respone below.

Choose the Cinematic menu or any 6 chapter menu and uncheck include root menu on the lower left of the screen. You should see the 6 chapter thumbnails on the preview screen. This allows you to start the the movie at the beginning of the chapter selected and it will then play to the end.

If you want to play each clip separately and return to the menu after playing then you need to produce each of the 6 chapters as separate clips. You also need to set the playback mode on the bottom of the page to play the selected title only.

Let us know if your issue is fixed.

Thanks also to you Tomasc
Quote In Create Disc, once you've chosen and set up the menu you want, you can try it out by clicking on 'Preview'. No disc is required for this. If it's OK then click on 'Burn in 2D' and that will take you into the burning dialogue section where you set the title you want, burning speed (tip choose something around half the max speed you see) with a blank disc in your drive go ahead and burn. If you want more than 1 copy specify this before burning and then PD will only render once. The subsequent ones will be produced much more quickly.

p.s. 'Produce' is for when you want to produce a video file. 'Create Disc' is for when you are creating a DVD. You don't need to go to 'Produce' when you just want a DVD.

Thanks for this. I will try that as soon as I have a bit of time - Not for a few days though.

Special thanks for explaining that I don't have to do both produce AND create Disc, I hadn't realised.
I have looked through tutorials listed by Daffyd B, both the Powerdirector University and PDtoots and cannot see what I'm looking for. Can anyone point me in the right direction for basic instructions. Have I missed a tutorial?

I wish to add a menu to a DVD so that user can select which of six clips they wish to watch and go instantly to watch it.

Steps so far:

EDIT

a) Six video clips into timeline.

b) Chapter room - insert chapter at start of each clip - Start

PRODUCE

c) Standard 2D

d) MPEG-2

e) Lowest setting for quality (2Mbps)

CREATE DISC

f) Create Menu structure with 6 buttons per page

??? Now what? How do I get the six chapters showing up, with a link that will take you straight to the appropriate Clip.

Thanks
After exhaustive research - well a few tests - I can tell you the answer.

I extract the video from a vhs player through a Hauppauge PVR.

This I record on my computer using TotalMedia Extreme 2 (TME2) which came with the PVR.

On TME2 I can record using one of the formats MP4, M2TS or TS. Originally I used M2TS but found it could not be played easily on my TV, so I switched to MP4. TME2 gives two options for audio - AAC & AC3. AC3 is generally used for MP4 but I haven't seen anything which says that it MUST be used.

On the video I was having trouble with, I recorded it using MP4 and I set the audio to AC3. Unfortunately although I set the audio to AC3 the output audio was always AAC.

If PowerDirector or any other Cyberlink app receives a video as MP4 but with AAC audio it will not handle the audio properly. Audio can be played in the media library but will not transfer to the timeline nor will it play in the other apps I mentioned.

Using Handbrake as suggested by Jeff I could convert the video with the AAC audio to AC3 (Dolby) audio and this then works in PowerDirector. So MP4 + AC3 works. M2TS works with both AAC and AC3.

These combinations work for me anyway.

• M2TS + AAC.

• M2TS + AC3.

• MP4 + AC3.

This combination does NOT work for me.

• MP4 + AAC.

Thanks Jeff

I'll look into that.

I'll Keep you posted.

Martin
I have gone further.

I have tried to extract the audio from the video but PDR stops working every time.

I have sent an error report for this.

Each time I have tried to extract the audio a very small audio file is produced before PDR collapses. I have tried to import this small audio into Audio Manager but Audio Manager stops. I did not send an error report for this.

I have tried to import the original video into Audio director but this stops working. Again I sent no error report .

I have tried to import the original video into Wave Editor but this stops working. Again I sent no error report.

We seem to have the situation where something is wrong with the original video which stops any CyberLink app from continuing. I am very distressed that none of the CyberLink apps can give me a soft fail with an error report. After a lifetime in IT development, much of it as a manager, I would never have allowed any computer system or application to just stop working without the end user having a clue about what to do next.

I would at least expect a report to say something like "PowerDirector cannot process the audio as it is not in a format that can be dealt with. Change the input file to an appriopriate format" Even that is not very helpful but at least PowerDirector would continue working.

Thank you to anyone who may have looked at this problem, but I think I will have to admit defeat and go back to the original VHS and extract it again. There is a possibility that the audio is set to a non standard value. Maybe I'll try to set it to a standard value such as 128 Kbps (CD Quality).
PowerDirector Ultimate - 14.0.2820.0

I Import a video into the workspace.

The properties of the video in the workspace show audio as AAC 184Kbps

I play the video in preview window and hear sound.

I pull the video into the editing workspace but no audio track is pulled in.The properties of the same video but in the editing workspace do not show audio. No sound is heard.

The screen recording of the above problem is "Perceptive1 screen record"

The 2 versions of DxDiag are Perceptive1-DxDiag and Perceptive1-64DxDiag.
Longedge

As You can tell, I'm just coming to grips with the basics of PD. I think that you are right about the black bars.

"Produce range" is exactly what I wanted on splitting up the video.

Thanks for your prompt reply and help
Power Director Ultimate 14.0.2820.0

I have old VHS recording of family events. This was converted using Hauppage HD PVR and Total Media Extreme to M2TS format.

There are several distinct events all present on the one recording.

PD successfully finds the all the different sections of the recording ( I can see the black bars between them). However it treats them as one video not as clips. I wish to split this into several parts, one for each event.

My initial thought was that I would create a new project for each event. I would then use the M2TS recording and cut out everything that that was not to do with the event I was handling and create a video for that event without extra editing. I would then create a new project and follow exactly the same process for every other event. This feels like a sledgehammer approach.

Is there an easier way?

Could I cut sections of the video out and make them into clips so that I only need 1 project and 1 pass?

Thanks
Thank you PLaysound.

That's what I wanted to know.
Go to: