Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD14 permissions problem for second Windows User
perceptive1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 03, 2010 07:06 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
Problem: When I use PD14 in a second Windows User Account, I receive the following message:-

"The current Permission settings do not allow you to select this location.

Select a different location and then try again."

Does Power Director 14 Have a restriction which prevents it being used on a second Windows user account from the one it was set up on?

Background: My video and other media have very different security and access requirements from my other personal and business files. For this reason I have set them up on my NAS storage (GOFlex) with their own user area, separate from my other files.

Unfortunately this has lead to its own problems since I cannnot access more than one user area on the NAS from my main windows account. It will however, allow two different users, albeit still on the same PC, to access these two user areas on the NAS simultaneously.

I set up an alternative Windows user, still just me with a different name, with the intention of using it to access any media files on the NAS and loading them onto shared folders on the PC. This worked fine while I used PD14 from my main Windows account. However, when I tried to go a step further and use PD14 from the second Windows media account it stopped working. As soon as I try to "produce" a video I get the problem shown above.

Attempted: I have tried a number things to overcome the problem but to no avail. These include:

• Making certain that all folders used by PD14 have all permissions for both users.

• Setting up folders on the Media user and sharing these with Master user.

• Making the Media user into an Administrator.

Everything works perfectly for PD14 on the Master user account, and PD14 has identical settings in both accounts.

Request: If there is a PD14 restriction which allows one Windows user only - could I switch so that the user of PD14 was the Media user not the Master user?
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

This is not my area of expertise but it sounds more like a Windows account permission issue.

As you can use PD from the 2nd account, as I understand it, it would seem PD has no restriction in that way, but the writing of the produce file kicks up the error.

Maybe try producing to the 2nd account desktop to test. If that works, then the original destination location might be the issue and you might have to delve into the windows permissions undergrowth!!

Let us know any findings.

Cheers

Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
perceptive1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi,

This is not my area of expertise but it sounds more like a Windows account permission issue.

As you can use PD from the 2nd account, as I understand it, it would seem PD has no restriction in that way, but the writing of the produce file kicks up the error.

Maybe try producing to the 2nd account desktop to test. If that works, then the original destination location might be the issue and you might have to delve into the windows permissions undergrowth!!

Let us know any findings.

Cheers

Adrian

Thanks Adrian

I was hoping not to have to delve into Windows Permissions. I'm not very good at these. I'll have a look and let you know.
perceptive1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Adrian

I followed up on your suggestion to "produce" to the second account desktop. This works - so somehow I DO seem to have my permissions in a mess.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Follow Up: Somehow the Output Folder had been reset to somewhere in my documents folder which does not exist.

Memo to Me: check the settings very carefully when creating a new project.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 24. 2017 15:52