Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
VOB files not working
perceptive1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 03, 2010 07:06 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
I am trying to edit some old videos that I made in 2009. These are in VOB format.

I can play them properly using VLC Media player and they have various lengths ranging from about 5 mins to 15 minutes.

When I try to import the shorter 5 minute video. only 37 seconds of it is imported. The details shown on the original file, before importing, show only 37 seconds on disk and only 37 seconds is converted to MP4.

When I try to import the larger, 15 minute video, PowerDirector freezes, The only way to recover the situation is to go into windows task manager and stop PowerDirector.

Any suggestions please.

Using PowerDirector 14.0.2820.0 on Windows 10

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 26. 2020 07:22

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I remember something like this happening years ago, and the first thing you should do is to update to v4207 which came out 3 years ago. You can download the patch here.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
perceptive1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I remember something like this happening years ago, and the first thing you should do is to update to v4207 which came out 3 years ago. You can download the patch here.

Thanks for the quick reply. I am now on the latest version. However the result is the same!

Thanks for trying.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
VOB's and PD have not been real friendly over the years. Best bet for any success is to copy VOB from DVD to HD, add to timeline, produce if all is good and use that file for editing. This usually prevents some audio sync issues. If this is what you have done and still an issue, just convert with HandBrake and use those files in PD for editing.

I'm not sure what you mean by "is converted to MP4", you mean you produced a file and input of 37sec matched the produced 37 sec MP4 file?

Jeff
perceptive1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Best bet for any success is to copy VOB from DVD to HD, add to timeline, produce if all is good and use that file for editing.

I have tried from original DVD and from an HD copied file with equal non-success.
If this is what you have done and still an issue, just convert with HandBrake and use those files in PD for editing.

Thanks I'll try Handbrake.

Quote I'm not sure what you mean by "is converted to MP4", you mean you produced a file and input of 37sec matched the produced 37 sec MP4 file?

Yes that's right

Thanks for the info

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 26. 2020 16:23

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Yes that's right

Thanks for the info

If you still have touble, upload the "37 second" VOB clip to OneDrive or Google Drive and paste the shared link to it here . That way other people can examine it and try out different conversion methods.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
In the past I have altered the extension to .mpg and it worked, though it is hit n miss. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
perceptive1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I tried Handbrake which worked a treat.

Thank you all who responded.

I would like to have downloaded the videos but they are my wife's professional ballroom and latin dance instruction videos. After I worked out how to sort these old videos out for her she decided to re record them in the garden together with the neighbour's lawnmower, another's dog and the wind noise. Oh well such is life in lockdown. At least you can hear the robin sing although not in time with our footwork.