Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
40 year old 35mm negatives -scanning
perceptive1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 03, 2010 07:06 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
I am in the process of scanning some very old 35mm negatives from 1970s onwards and hoping that this will give me a useful digital backup of my photos.

Unfortunately some of the negatives have not survived in good condition. The negatives themselves look orange and the scanned photos have a green tinge to them (light green sky is quite strange).

I have PhotoDirector5 and thought that it might be posssible to make adjustments to get more realistic photos. However I'm not sure of my success. Possibly with a lot of trial and error I could use PD5 to apply filters or adjust the tone in some way. Is this worth trying? What sort of adjustments may work?

Alternatively - does anyone know of any template which could be used in PD5 to correct the scanned photo?

The photos in the album are not quite so bad as the negatives. Would I have more success in taking a new digital photo of the physical photo?
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
PhD5 is quite old but it should still work for your project. Without seing the actual scans, I would suggest spending a few minutes applying the Default Presets aka CLUTs (Color LookUp Tables) on the Adjustments tab until you find at least one that looks reasonable.

You can then tweak any of the other controls if needed/desired, then save those settings as a custom preset and apply it to all similar scanned images.

I'd start with a set where you have both prints and negatives and see if dealing with one or the other give you better results.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Unfortunately some of the negatives have not survived in good condition. The negatives themselves look orange and the scanned photos have a green tinge to them (light green sky is quite strange).

Orange is the right color for the plastic film backing for color negatives. The scanners that I have used in the past have settings that you change for scanning transparency such as slides and for negatives which will then give you a proper positive image after scanning. Very little correction may be necessary if the proper settings were used before scanning. You may want to check to see if the scanner used have these settings. The color balance may be needed in PhotoDirector.

There are presets in the DZ that can be used if your scanner has no such settings. PIX made them and they are available.
perceptive1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 03, 2010 07:06 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
Story so far.

I have been trying out different options.

Thanks for your response optodata.
The original photo from the scanner without adjustment looks like Initial Scan

As you say PhD5 is old. It only has 4 presets - Flat, Standard, Medium Contrast, and Strong Contrast.
I tried adjusting the scanned image in PhD5 but the best I could achieve is Adjusted image

Thanks also for your response tomasc.
The negatives may normally have an orange tint but there's orange and there's the colour on my negatives. I've taken a digital photo of the negative which looks like Negative

The scanner used is pretty basic but I can confirm that it is set for colour negatives.

I decided that I would take a digital photo of the physical photo in my album. I was pleasantly surprised with the result. See for yourself Digital Photo. All I have to do is solve the curvature on the edge but I can can live with that at present.

I expected the negatives would be better but they have deteriorated much more than photos.

I may go back at a later stage and try to adjust the scanned image using the presets by PIX in DZ. Thanks for the suggestion.