Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Overlaying Video on Video - random 'dead' overlays
Ed71 [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Dorset, United Kingdom Joined: May 17, 2008 14:32 Messages: 207 Offline
[Post New]
When compiling videos where overlaying one video track over another; randomly produces 'dead' tracks after production - the 'dead' track freezing on the first frame. There is no consistency in this as further attempts at production can lead to different 'dead' tracks or a 100% OK production; just have to keep trying!

Be interested to see if any others have experienced same problem or limitation of my system. (sometimes wonder if because have other things running?) Never remember seeing it in PD9? Director Suite 365
AMD FX-8320 3.50 GHz Eight-Core
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250gb (OS)
Seagate 2TB SATA-III Hybrid 7200RPM Hard Drive (Data)
Toshiba 4TB SATA-III Hard drive (Archive)
24GB Memory
Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 2gb
Microsoft® Windows 10 (64-bit)
Xerox [Avatar]
Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Aug 09, 2009 01:36 Messages: 446 Offline
[Post New]
Yes, that happened to me last night. I didn't know what caused it, but suspected my NVIDIA control panel settings. I had been experimenting with different NVIDIA advanced acceleration settings. I restored the default settings, then set the Vertical Sync setting to "Force On" and Triple Buffering to "On."

It didn't happen again after that, but I haven't produced enough yet to tell for sure if the problem has gone away permanently.

Gateway DX4380, AMD A8-5500 Quad Core 3.2GHz with ATI Radeon HD 7560D; 16GB RAM; 1 TB SATA 7200 RPM; Windows 8 Pro 64-bit; PDR11, PDVD12.
Ed71 [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Dorset, United Kingdom Joined: May 17, 2008 14:32 Messages: 207 Offline
[Post New]
Have also noted that it is happening with video on it's own in the main track - took 4 - 5 attempts to get a good 'produce' on a small 3 min approx project; no overlays or anything complicated, and the frozen scenes continue to be random.

Using MOD files from a JVC SD card camcorder; producing in MPEG2 format.

Notice user abbarnes has reported a similar issue under title 'Frozen scenes in PD10 file' producing to avi files

I have the latest 1012 patch installed

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Oct 25. 2011 17:13

Director Suite 365
24GB Memory
Ed71 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Latest DxDiag in case system performance has any bearing on the problem

Any help appreciated!

(please note not trying to do any HD editing - same computer setup / camera as previous PD versions)

Filename
Ed71 DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
71 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
401 time(s)
Director Suite 365
24GB Memory
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Ed,

I can confirm your observation!
A nuisance of thing.
I have a 53 second scene, where I want 3 images sharing the video screen simultaneously.
As I want the three clips to change priority during the scene for two times, I have to re-arrange them among VT1, VT2 and VT3.
And to be able to produce transitions between the different priority clips, I repeat the 53 seconds for 3 times in total, parted with a (approx.) 2 second pause between them, respectively.

For graphic explanation:
VT1 contains: CLIP_A <pause> CLIP_B <pause> CLIP_B
VT2 contains: CLIP_B <pause> CLIP_A <pause> CLIP_C
VT3 contains: CLIP_C <pause> CLIP_C <pause> CLIP_A

In the final video I take the first part of the first repetition, the middle part of the second repetition, and the finale of the third repetition, setting the transition of desire between them.

But when pre-rendering this interimistic project into a MPG4 file format I encountered the problem, that CLIP_A in the second block (in VT2) hangs as you describe.
It took me 2 or 3 attempts of rendering to get the thing work.
No consistenty in this problem, seems arbitrary.

Michael.
elderone1 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Courtenay Joined: Nov 23, 2011 15:57 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
My issue sounds the same as Ed71.
I made one project using "overwrite" to set photos within VT1 without disturbing sound on linked AT1. Further editing created "audio displacement" from the linked video in every clip later in the track. Also some gaps created by editing or removal were not recognized as gaps in "close gap".
On the second project, I set the photos on VT2 at the same time as in the above. I avoided using "overwrite". No audio offsets or other anomalies so far.
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Latest DxDiag in case system performance has any bearing on the problem

Any help appreciated!

(please note not trying to do any HD editing - same computer setup / camera as previous PD versions)

Without looking any further your video drivers are 4 years old. So I would update them from the maker of your video card, not Microsoft to get the latest. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
Ed71 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Robert; good tip

Upgraded to the latest ATi drivers; still experiencing same issue.

Recent 1 minute long section made up of about 10 individual clips, first produce successful; made some minor edits, second produce had two freezes (one mid clip; other whole clip) Third produce successful.

Note not any overlays in this example - all on the main track; no transitions at all
Producing to mpeg2 as have always done.
Sound continues behind the frozen picture as before
Reaches certain point (random) then video picks up again

Latest DXDiag
 Filename
DxDiag Ed71 05.12.11.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
72 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
414 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 05. 2011 15:53

Director Suite 365
24GB Memory
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I had a better look at you Dxdiag and sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I don't think your computer is powerful enough to run PD 10.

255 meg of video ram is very very low for video editing, the minimum I would use for simple editing is 500 meg plus 1 gig of video ram for complicated SD video or normal HD video. Also PD10 appears to need more computing power to run smoothly than PD9. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
Ed71 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Robert;

I do realise PC getting to the end of its useful life as far as video editing goes but generally find PD10 runs quite smoothly on it; as long as I am patient!

This problem seems to be the only thing that occurs as a problem in the finished results; will maybe just have to live with it for the while. Director Suite 365
24GB Memory
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
This could also be a refresh issue for the program.

I have experienced a problem where audio and video which has been deleted still displays/plays in Preview, even when the items have been removed from the track. It is as though the program fails to update the NLE instructions for the display. A simple "click elsewhere" and the appearance of the free-form frame in Preview refreshes the situation.

I might not have explained the above very well. I have been watching Ed's post and wondering if it was similar to my observations. No-one else appears to have reported the same issue. I have had both my PC's display this issue.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 06. 2011 15:06

Ed71 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Dafydd

Not 100% necessarily a hardware issue then?

Would be good news if there was another explanation, as have deliberately avoided anything high definition etc as I knew this computer would struggle with anything more than had been doing previously, so was a bit disappointed when thought the change in version may have caused a problem; I appreciate PD10 is more complex in what it can do so probably more resource intensive. New computer not on the agenda at the moment!!

I don't think have experienced the problem in the way you described; only ever in the completed 'produce' though have to say often have to produce to get a clear picture of what have produced because preview can be a bit jerky on my machine so not easy to see fine edits etc.

Sounds like there may be another patch on the way; be interested to see if things improve after then? (I see there is one now!! , will download and see what happens)

Ed

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 07. 2011 16:03

Director Suite 365
24GB Memory