Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Mine always freezes when creating a slideshow of .jpgs that use the highlight option and you zoom really close in with the backgroud option. Easy to figure out which pic is the problem, just record the actual movie time of the freeze, kill the pc and reboot and go back into your movie project file at that percise time and see what you have and so far it's been the same issue everytime. I can duplicate it everytime with a single pic. It is very fustrating, I too have a very good pc, but the program can really make it look weak at times, wondering if PD10 is any better for 64 Bit PC's?
Anyone ran into the below???

Ticket CS001125652 submitted:

"During production in Format MPEG-2, Profile BD-1920x1080, the system hangs/freezes the entire computer and can only be restarted by killing the power. I have taken the time to isolate the problem down to the amount of zoom used when creating a "Highlight" type of Slideshow to a picture. Apparently when too much zoom is used when using the "Edit background photo" option, it will cause the production to freeze and lockup the computer at the point that photo background is getting produced. It seems the workaround is to use the customize option and zoom back out until it produces. I would like to send you the packed files with the failure, and the packed files with the fix, so you can evaluate. The attached has 2 folders, on e good, one bad, the only diff between the two is photo 11121102.jpg (2nd pic in the slideshow) has the background zoomed out a little in the test-fixed folder. Can not attached the good and bad produced files (mpg), since your system limits it to only 1 MB max on attachements."

I do burn "Produce" the files right from the project file, unfortuanlty it only allows you to make on file (.WMV) at a time, would be great if it had an option to create multiples broken donw by chapter number, but I don't see any way to do it. If I have a project with 10 chapters, it just produced one large file vs 10 individual files.
Seems like there should be an option under the Produce section next to the file name section that would have a checkbox to allow the user to create a seperate file for each chapter. I just don;t see any possible way? Maybe an import with PowerProducer?
Sounded great at first, but still too much work. Thats seems like more more work than producing them manually. I'm trying to take one Title (Project) of 70 Chapters (Clips) and convert it to .wmv files, there seems no way to just have PD9 save each chaper to an individual chapter? Thanks, but just not very automated creating 70 project files...
Is there a way to batch produce files from the produce section of Power Director 9? It would seem great if you could have the system automatically create a seperate file for each chapter, the only way I see to do it is to mannually create each file in the edit section?
PowerDirector 9 build 2702 is the version I've had since I purchased and upgraded last week, I wish I have PD 8 back, is there a return policy within so many days. Simply not happy with the default choices they have made with the program with the upgrade, not an upgrade if you have to do more work than the old program (PD.

No way to save a library sort order to the project file or though preference settings, what are they thinking...

Finding more issues where they have changed with the basic operation of the program. On the timeline, when you remove a little of the beginig/end of a clip PD8 would automatically slide all the files after it to the left and fill in the gap, PD9 does not do this, I have to do several more clicks and drags to get it there, again more work becuase you changed the basic defaults of the program, at least put an option in the preferences section for us to choose the way we whould like it to operate.

For how many versions they have had basic features operate one way, you go though a 64 Bit upgrade and now basic items are drastically different, can't see how others arn't complaining about these everyday features.

If you are happy with PD8, stay with it, if it wasn't for the 64 Bit, I drop it for sure...
I've went from PD 7, 8, and righ to PD9 (2702) and wow, give me back PD8...

PD9 doesn't even rememebr the sort order when saved or via a preference setting.

Finding more issues where you have changed the basic operation of the program. On the timeline, when you remove a little of the beginig/end of a clip PD8 would automatically slide all the files after it to the left and fill in the gap, PD9 does not do this, I have to do several more clicks and drags to get it there, again more work becuase you changed the basic defaults of the program, at least put an option in the preferences section for us to choose the way we whould like it to operate.

For how many versions you have had basic features operate one way, you go though a 64 Bit upgrade and now basic items are drastically different, can't see how others arn't complaining about these everyday features.

If you are happy with PD8, stay with it...
PD9 does not remember the Sort By order option in the Media Room Library Menu, it always defaults to Name Order when restarted. This was never a problem in any prior version of PowerDirector. This is a real pain that PD9 does not remember any basic options from the prior use or when a file is saved, especially when they changed the default from date to name. This should be corrected in an update, a real pain with most cameras that write the file names in hex format (i.e. MOV009, MOV00A, MOV00B), thus PD9 sorts the A & B files prior to 9, which is out of actual order by date/time recorded. Seems like a programing error or something missed, I can't find a way to make the setting stick, always goes back to "Name" order on a restrart and even when a file is saved in "Date" and reopened, it goes to "Name" automatically. See attachement for location of option.

Sent problem to support and they said something like not their proble, must be my camera???
I got that hint from the above post, works a little better, but not fully the same as PD8 reacts. The bigger issue is the sort feature not holding it's setting, this is a pain for mutiple file users (sports types with high chapter counts) with camera systems with hex numbering (most .mov systems).
This is real anoying that the setting for sorting my library files doesn't stick. Proabbaly not a big issue if you only have a few files, but I do a lot of sports clips, aprox 100-200 on a disc for a game. Most cameras number their files in Hexdecimial, thus standard Alpha sorts for computers does not render the true oreder the plays/scencs were shot, thus proablmaic to get 100-200 clips in order.

Actual Order Shot (Hex)

MOV008
MOV009
MOV00A
MOV00B
MOV00C
MOV00D
MOV00E
MOV00F
MOV010

An Alpha Sort (Hex)

MOV00A
MOV00B
MOV00C
MOV00D
MOV00E
MOV00F
MOV008
MOV009
MOV010

The link setting you mentioned helped a little on the timeline, but didn't automatically adjust the pip or music lines like PD8 did. I spent several hours with PD9 and watched many of the tutorials and agree there is some nice new features, but not many I see myself using on a regular basis and not at the loss of some of the simple feature PD8 had like remembering the sort order and auto adjusting the timeline when the clips are removed.

Also, they still didn't remove the feature to diasble the animated menus like PP and PD7. Waiting for PD9 to creat over 100+ animated icons (which it does for the first 20% of a burn) is a waste of time and space on the disc, espcially if no one really needs it, A plain pic was fine in the older versions and PP3 & 4.

I ran burns of a sample disc before and after PD9 upgrade, the results are not impressive if you expecting to see some boost in performace because of the 64 Bit. Bigger burn and longer time???

Intle i7 2.67 Ghz, Win7 64 Bit, 8 Gig Ram:
PD8 6:54 Min, Size 640Mb, 85 Clips
PD9 7:05 Min, Size 643Mb, 85 Clips

Not impressed yet...
Sort By Date option in PD9 does not stick like PD8, you have to reset this option everytime I open the program, this doesn't seem right, no other setting for it???

Another item driving me nuts after the update is in the timeline when i remove like the 1st clip, the rest of the clip do not slide to the left like PD8, PD9 leave it right where its and and doesn't even resize the music like PD9? I'm begining to wish i didn't upgrade...
Thanks, thaks what I was worried about, alkl the standard files I use to buiild a new prodject. What about menu templates, are they also compadiable?
Are the PD8 .pds files usable with PD9 or will I have to recreate all my templates and files? How is the compadibility with PD8 files with PD9? Do they convert over to PD9 on the first open and then not reversiable?
How many chapters are in your project? I've been having problems with burns over about 130 chapters, but I do not get an error messge, it actually says burn sucessful most of the time, but it's sometimes it's missing files or none generated at all.

I seems to be releated to the motion menus, which we still have no way to disable like past versions. I been sucessful by removeing some of the chapters I don't really need and get it down to about 125 or less chapters, this seems to releive the program from generating so many motion menus (which it seems to do from 1-20% complete) and probably helps it from reaching I think the 1GB max menu data for a DvD menu (a DvD standard, nothing to do with the program), but there may be something wrong on the program side with this. I've have an open trouble ticket with Cyberlink for a few months, no resolution. I think the quick fix for them whould be to add the diable option back in the setting for the motion menus, or even better a second option to only generate motion menus for the main titles and not for the chapters, this would give you a nice look, but not the problems associated with with multiple chapters.

I burn to a folder & transfer to a disc after I get a good burn, to save some discs.
Just an update, since the problem was noted, I have updated to Win7 and the same problem exists. The files for 2 examples uploaded to CL FTP, and it has been elevated by the support team to the R&D Team twice, no response yet.

The only workaround is to remove a few chapter markers at a time that you don't care about and try again. Save some DvD's by selecting the burn to a folder option to ensure you get a good burn, I transfer the good files to DvD with the utilities section of PowerProducer7.
Yes, great to know info (specs). I had a few Titles with 50 some Chapters, but never got any warnings or errors like that, but it appears I was under the number. Good to know they have it setup to check for that.

I did learn thru trial and error to run the default 15 sec thumbs down to 10 sec, but still had unsucessful burns until I ran the Chapters below 150ish. I did note when I went from 10 Chapters to about 150, that the burn image went up from 1.3G to 1.6G, so yes I can confirm the menus do eat up the 1G Menu Max. I also noted the temp/working folder (while burning) was highly active creating the individual vids and .png for each icon and menu item. It appears they have all the warnings programed in, so if the 1G max was reach, I should have pop a warning message. Plus, it appears to use about 0.3G per 150 thumbs, plus what ever the min is, so I would think I'm good there.

What worries me is the randomness of the failures, sometimes it generates partial files, other times none, sometimes a sucessfull message, other times unsecessful. I just eliminated about every other Chatper and went from about 250 donw to 150 and all brunt fine. I went back to burn the 250 one and it still fails unpredictably.

I'm wondering if there is a file limit per folder for windows, cause it was generating a lot of files during the burn.

I like the motion menus, but it does raise the burn time and cause problems on the high end of chapters. I'd like to see an option to only enable the main Title thumbs, and leave the rest off. This would know me down to generating only about 10 thumbs, thus a win-win (quick burns, but a nice appearance on the main titles menu.

Thanks again... Still no answer to my trouble ticket...
But I have figured out how to work around the problem. The problem seems directly related to multiple chapters. I took the same project file and deleted all the chapters (about 250 down to 10) and it burns fine. I went in and added about 120 chapters in key spots and it was slow, but the burn was sucessful to both disc and folder. I went back in and added all 250, and the program randomly fails during the process at different points.

The burn fails mostly during the first 20%, during which the program is creating the motion thumb files. More chapters means more thumbs (without the disable option avaliable), thus longer burns. Taking the chapter out, the project burnt in less than 10 min, adding the 150 in ran the time up to 30 min, all 250 leads to over an hour+ and always a failure or a bogus sucessful message. The minimal burn was 1.3G, the 150 chapters ran it up to 1.6G, so these motion menus eat up your disc space when you add a lot of chapters.

The quick fix, use minimal chapters, until the motion disable option is added back in.

As for contacting support, I've had an open trouble ticket for several days, no response. I did use the phone system, that led to over and hour and the tech telling me my video drivers were out of date on a 1 month old pc. I abliged him and updated them, to no avail. I wasted several days and discs, but can duplicate it every time now.
I'd make what ever avalible to fix some of their problems. But I don't see why, anyone could just make an example real fast. Just suck in about 80-100 small clips and organize them.

BACKGROUND INFO:
When we record a football game for coach/player reivew, we have about 80-100 clips that are 6-15 seconds long (no sense in recording or watching long leaders to the play, just capture what is needed). I usually group them together by the halfs or quarters of the game (Titles), and each play as a Chapter. Thus we have about 80-100 bookmarks that we can cycle between, the Titles make it easy to loacte the general section of the game, and the Chapters make it easy to narrow it directly to the play needed.

We typically play each play about 3-5 times in slow motion during review, each time we hit the chapter button to restart it right from the beginning. This makes it much easier/faster then hitting the reverse and fast forward buttons to find the exact starting point (like the old film/tape days). Plus you can use the DvD Player's Info Buttons to pull up a play directly, like 3-5 (Title 3, Chapter 5).

When we need to gather all the clips for the end of the year highlights, PowerProducer5 (PP5) makes real easy to use the disk utility features and stick a game disk in and select the checkboxes of all the Title/Chapters we want. It exports them nicely into mpgs for easy importing later into either PP5 or PD8.

Let me knmow if someone really needs an example or data.
The end product, wether I use PP or PD, is pretty much the same format. PD just gives you some more advanced functionality (well it used to). There is no reason why PD8 couldn't save the original pics to the disc just as PP5 still does. I can actaully do more & faster with PP5, now, than I can with PD8 (minus some nice effects).

PD5 comes with PD Express 3.5 built in, with that package there isn't much I could't do that PD8 does, especially now they are taking features away. It's actaully a much nicer package the way PP5's Advanced Editing Button opens PDE3.5 and allows you to work seemlessly on a project (for a while, I never knew I was actually leaving PP5 and entering PDE3.5. Besides making some fancy PiP or some nice effects, the PP5/PDE3.5 seems much more intergrated and gives the user more common options.

I often wonder why they make so many countless programs that focus a little more towards one area than another. Why not just junk them all and make one mack-daddy program to do it all. I bought PP5 and PP8, after installing I have over 6 programs from this company and others even including Apple. Why? I can't even stop them from installing? I don't what a load of junk, I thought I paid for a good, stable, and matured program. Yet Cyberlink seems to be taking steps backwards by taking options away from the users.

I'd go back to the other, but none of the PD8's files are backwards compadiable. Why do they want to develope the PowerXxxxx Series? Why not just make the Cyberlink Mack-Daddy for $129, why, because this way makes more money...

Go to: