CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Quote I still have PD 12 on my laptop and have a weird reverse docking problem. When the preview window is up the docking arror points up as if it's not the preview window and when I click it it seems to remove the preview and go into normal edit mode but now the arrow points down as if I'm in a preview window. I can still do stuff except I can't resize the window as it has no handles when clicked upon. I can send a picture but literally the arrows point the wrong way and I can't grab/select the window as if it is an actual preview. Also cannot grab the "preview" window which is normal.

I'm guessing reinstalling would fix it but hoping for a less drastic solution. Thanks in advance.

From your description, I think it sounds right.

The basic mode is the preview screen is in the upper right corner. You can resize the screen space allocated to the preview window by moving the mouse between the preview window and the library. A double arrow will appear to move horizontally to give the preview window more screen space and the library less. Likewise a vertical adjustment of space just below the preview window and above the timeline. The same double arrow will appear. You are defining how much real estate the preview window occupies but it is docked to the default upper right location.

If the "Undock the preview window", screen with down arrow is selected below the preview widow. The preview window no longer occupies the upper right default corner of the screen and you can move it around, undocked. You resize it by basic corner control.

When you hit the "Dock preview window" screen with up arrow in the upper right corner of undocked preview window, it will redock to the default upper right corner of the PD12 edit interface.

Jeff
Quote Thanks for your response. As a test, I did all of this today - no change.

Still just the blank box as shown in your prior pic when you have a default compatible PD profile selected? Don't use a custom profile as prior for simple functionality check.

Probably take a while to get CL to resolve, be patient to get through the first level support with your ticket with lots of cue card replies prior to maybe getting a level of support that can actually help you.

Jeff
Quote Thanks for the reply.
Nothing that I've tried has stopped the capturing.
Unclicking DV auto stops didn't stop it. Setting capture time didn't stop it.
So I guess it's just not possible.
The only way I've found to stop the capture is to simply click the Red stop button.

It's functional if you are capturing directly from DV camera in PD. If you are using capture device, dongle, vcr,... so on, that's not a DV parameter setup so it’s not effective.

Jeff
Quote Two months on and despite trying almost every combination of uninstall, re-install of both PD, the graphics cardand following helpful advice offered here, I've never got this to work again.

I've raises a support ticket - CS002331174,

I can totally relate, it my view this feature was a half completed effort that really maybe was just a focus on perhaps the laptop market but has implications for any desktop too and the plethora of configurations maybe not properly vetted.
I've run with simultaneous AMD and NVideo GPU's and see one set of anomalies
I've run with two simultaneous Nvidia GPU and see another set of anomalies
I've run with two AMD GPU's and see another set of anomalies

I helped a recent user that had a issue very similar to yours, a blank and unselectable fast rendering technology box like you show. In a nut shell the end approach that worked was:
1) Use DDU and remove all traces of installed GPU's. He had several and several brands. Not only discrete but CPU based too.
2) Get GPU functional with just VGA drivers, don't let windows beat you to installing a driver
3) Make sure BIOS set appropriately for specific PCI first slot of GPU and any CPU specific GPU disabled and monitor only plugged into discrete GPU
4) Load GPU specific drivers
5) I've launched PD periodically in these steps to see what it has for hardware encoding, what the about box indicates and so on of confirmation of config vs PD capability shown.

Approach probably not something I'd suggest to the typical PD user that is struggling. In the end, I had a Nvidia working system for him. I can only think the issue was from multiple GPU's once installed in his system and inadequate full uninstalls of all pertinent stuff. Nvidia, AMD, nor windows alone achieve that.

Hopefully CL will resolve with your ticket.

Jeff
Quote I want to add one transistion on all tracks i.e Track 1 to 10?
Any shortcut?

Feature applies to all content in one track, so just need to select each track independently.

Jeff
If you have the original footage, you'd be a lot better off than using PIP to scale and reposition this footage. Since this was produced scaled as 1/4 screen, you could lose significant quality when scaled back to full screen.

Jeff
Quote The 17 dl forces me to install 19

You would have to have 17 saved from previous downloads provided, the DVD, or on some media backed up by you. There is not a current active download link for it, even if you have a valid SN.

If you don't have your download to properly install 17 for which you have a SN, you would have to contact CL customer support, https://www.cyberlink.com/support/index.html with proof of purchase and have them supply you a link which will also expire. So take care of and back up your installs.

Jeff
Quote Power Director 17 bought it a couple of years ago have key but still get a watermark.

I have applied all patches.

Maybe a dumb statement, but is it proper to assume that you removed the trial, installed the bought copy and entered the SN? The trial which you obviously had installed cannot be turned into a proper working version.

If you have proper version installed vs the trial, post a screen capture of your timeline, some versions had a feature in a Title timeline that needed to be deleted. Also post a pic of your installed release by clicking PowerDirector in the upper right-hand corner and then a screen capture.

Jeff
Quote In PowerDirector 10, I split and deleted two blank sections from a 580 KB MP4 video. When I rendered the 2D video with the "Standard" setting, the resulting file was an MP4 video that is 4 times larger at 2,500 KB. Using the "Trim" function did not make a difference and the final size was just as large at 2,500 KB.

How can I create an MP4 that isn't larger than the original when I cut parts out?

Thanks,
Richard

It's all just quality. If you simply want a file the same size and you produced to the "Standard" MP4 setting, follow the pic to change bitrate (quality) to reduce your file size. Default 6000, change to 1500 and file size will reduce accordingly.

Jeff
It is a legitimate email address of CL and that was the content of the email, however, that version has always free and it is limited. Essentially it's the same offer as here: https://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/free-software-and-apps/index_en_US.html the PowerDirector 365 Essential release. It's possibly the current version release, it's 2730 which might match the current subscription version, unfortunately https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/84821.page#350770 does not list a release number for the March release and the perpetual version 2521 lags and often not in sync number wise recently.

Jeff
Quote I clicked to go to the forum, it asked what product I had and this is where it took me.

You are correct, that's CL fault. If you select "365 for Windows (Subscription)" it takes you to the PD18 forum. If you select "365 for Mac (Subscription)" it takes you to PowerDirector (previous versions) forum. They simply have it botched. One needs to select "19" to get to the "PowerDirector 19 & 365" forum pages.

Jeff
Quote After March update I do not see "Turn of movie mode" in editing preferences. All I have is "Switch to movie mode automatically during playback". However, whether it is checked or not it doesn't seem to have any effect on my timeline.

The "Turn Off Movie Mode......." quote I provided was from CL release propaganda at the time. The "Turn Off Movie Mode" by itself was not a option with those words in pref > Editing. The feature that shows in pref > Editing was "Switch to movie mode automatically during playback", which was added back after total removal to give the user some control.

I don't know if the March subscription update made a change to this or not, I have perpetual key and no update.

Jeff
The preview files are in your current export folder setting in a hidden folder "Preview Cache Files". Or one can use the "Manual Delete" option in pref to remove them.

Jeff
Quote ah I forgot about shadow files! Yes those should help. Thanks so much for the info. I haven't used those for so long I forgot how they worked. I do see in the timeline it pops up with "rendering...." when it's looking at each clip, apparently.

No you shouldn't be seeing any "rendering" nor a green bar with just shadow files. That's a different feature, that's "Render a preview of the timeline in Ultra HD preview quality.

That will slow you down for sure.

Jeff
Quote Thanks, JL_JL, for your message. When you say reduce a video to a smaller framesize (maintaining aspect ratio), do you mean simply drag a corner in the preview area, or use the Scale sliders in the PiP Designer? And then produce it at the same settings I plan to produce the finished video, say MPEG-4 4K 3840 x 2160/30p (50 Mbps)? That individual video would no longer fill the entire frame, but have a lot of black background around the musician's video. Or is there some other way to reduce the framesize that will still fill the entire frame?

Thanks,

Jim

I think you totally misunderstood the point or reason for doing the approach I suggested. No, it makes no sense to resize a clip and then produce at your end target frame size of 3840x2160 and have all the black and use that in timeline to simply trim again.

My point was, since you have these judder issues, it's probably best to take all these random clips from everyone at random variable frame rates and random variable bitrates since most are phone source related and create constant bitrate and constant frame rate as PD usually works very well with that. Consider HandBrake or the like for that task. PD often does not work well mixing highly variable frame rate source files. Since one has to do that step and adsorb the cost of 100% encoding, you might just as well put each in a smaller frame resolution, say 1280x720. Based on glancing at your production, each source at best occupies a small region of your end produced 3840x2160 frame resolution, take advantage of that during this preprocess stage to lower the overall editing and/or producing demand.

Jeff
It's really not so much the timeline frame rate, but more source and produce. For instance, one can have NTSC 59.94fps source, drop it into a 24fps timeline, and produce to a NTSC 59.94fps profile and actually use SVRT (no encoding) as source matches produce. What will happen is some frames in the timeline will not be displayed as I need to get from 59.94 to 24 during timeline playback since I specified 24fps timeline. So if I wanted to create a snapshot at some particular frame that was available in my 59.94fps source, it may or may not be available with my timeline settings.

In your case, since getting source from:
a) many people and various video complexity
b) and the fact that most phones can create video in a highly variable frame rate depending on scene complexity
c) and the fact that most phones can create highly variable bitrate videos
d) and coupled with the fact that each contributor really only fills less than maybe 1/5 the produced product frame resolution

I'd preprocesses each source video to a smaller framesize (maintaining aspect ratio) at the final produced product frame rate you desire and simply make sure you produce to high quality video bitrate and audio at the same desired frame rate. So basically a fixed frame rate and bitrate which is usually video PD works extremely well with.

Jeff
Not a lot to go on when it just crashes.

I don't know how much video content was in your project, nor how you organize your content. I had luck one time moving my source content, making a copy of the pds file, and then opening the copy to not change my original. At this time PD will ask to find the files as the project loads since they are not at original location, if sufficiently moved around and isolated you can point to one missing file at a time as the pds loads, with this I found which video it was crashing on and pointed it to a file of the same name that I knew loaded ok. With such I managed to save most of the pds file.

In the end, best I could determine, it was crashing on/near a defined “Chapter”.

Jeff
For some pref > General > and Manually Delete in the temporary files area has helped get through this hurdle, worth a try.

Jeff
Quote I downloaded the program direct from the website without checking the email which had all the links: Here's a copy and paste:

[Download Instruction - PowerDirector Ultimate]
The
download version of CyberLink PowerDirector Ultimate is comprised of
(13) individual .EXE files.
Please install first the PowerDirector Ultimate program file. Once the
main program is installed, you can install the 12 additional Content
Pack files to get all the effects, templates and menus for the program.

Might be easiest to suggest options knowing what files you have. Paste a pic of your downloaded files showing name and extensions so one can see what you are working with.

Jeff
I doubt 13 exe files, maybe 13 total files. The basic program install is typically 1 exe file and then several (8+ perhaps) rar files that get unzipped and installed as part of that process. You then have separate exe installs for Adorage and Vitascene filters. Depending what they bundled during your purchase, maybe some fonts, sounds,....so on for additional files, usually not exe though.

The email and supplied download links usually show rather clearly the files.

Jeff
Go to: