Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Cranston - pjc -

Hear! Hear!

We've all seen this happen many times and - yes - it's annoying. It's particularly annoying when you take the time to compose a semi-detailed response directly in the forum (not in a word processor)... post it - then it's gone. 10 minutes or so wasted. The same frustration would occur if you go to the trouble of carefully explaining the details of some PD issue, only to find your post has either disappeared or been relegated to page 7.

I understand the administrators have had this brought to their attention on many occasions.

Anyway - fingers crossed - let's hope this topic remains somewhere near the top of the most recent list for a while.

Well done CP for raising the issue here.

Cheers -

Tony
Hi there IndyGirl -

I tried to replicate your problem using a folder containing 24 jpeg files. I imported the files and put them in the timeline (as you did). To each imae, I assigned a different duration (as you did). Between each image I assigned a transition of varying length (as you did). I saved the project & closed it... to see what would happen.

You may be disappointed to hear that the timings and transitions I applied were still there - exactly. PD7, in my case, did not make any changes.

The only tiny difficulty I had was that - in some cases - when typing in a duration for an image or transition, PD7 would not accept what I typed. eg. I typed 03:30 (seconds) and PD7 wanted it to be 3:29 for some reason. Odd that. When I re-opened the project, the duration was still 3:29.

To answer your question, I have no idea why your issue is happening... but I do hope you're able to overcome it soon. I absolutely agree with you. The software should not be dictating terms to the user.

Cheers -

Tony
Ladies and Gentlemen -

Today I ordered the Canon HF S10 - should have it in a day or two - and I'd like to thank everyone who donated generously to the cause.

Dafydd - who has pledged his earnings for the rest of this year JUST so I can have the camera I want - what a gentleman!
Charles - who's kindly offered to forward all the donations from his new Mask Converter - much appreciated.
Cranston - who's donated the royalties from his latest animation featuring members of the forum - ONYA mate!
Adrian - who's offered to construct an infallible underwater housing for it - thanks buddy.
James - who's offered to test the camera for the next 12 months to ensure I've made the right choice. Thanks grasshopper!!!
Barry - who's going to sell photos of whatever that thing is that is longer than Adrian's & forward the profits to me - thank you big guy!
Jeff - for his kind advice in helping me select this camera.
pjc - for the use of his doghouse if the bank has to foreclose on the mortgage - tar mate - I'd do the same for you.

Thank you one and all for you totally unexpected generosity.

Cheers -

Tony
Roy -

What Dafydd is trying to say is to click on the Search button at the top of this page, under the CyberLink Community Forum header, then put in your key words... he didn't mean search your PC - he meant search the forum.

Anyway - he's kindly done it for you now.

Searching the forum with the key words of your question will usually reveal lots of good information.

Cheers -

Tony
Jeff -

Of course, you're absolutely right. Since that post (which I couldn't delete), I have learned exactly that...

Well team –

Having gone round in circles for a good while shortening and lengthening my list, trying to weigh up the options sensibly, annoying people in camera shops... I have (sort of) decided.

Since my last post, which was flawed, I have learnt a lot more about what’s hot and what’s not – as a complete novice at this, it’s quite difficult. In my last post, I foolishly stated that the Canon HF20 & the HF S10 had similar specifications. HA! I’d like to thank everyone for not jumping down my throat and telling me what a moron I was... and Jeff, for doing it politely!

Those two cameras became my short list... not that there was much wrong with the comparable Panasonic & Sony models... but a bloke had to make a decision. I was partly influenced by the fact that I could get a great deal buying online (Ryda dot com for those in OZ) – cheaper than any duty free deal I could cut.

So – now my short list is down to one. Canon HF S10. Yes – despite the extra cost – I’m about to bite the bullet and order it. If you’d like to send donations so I have something to eat while I’m out videographing, they’d be greatly appreciated!

Here are a couple of reviews, if you’re at all interested.
http://www.trustedreviews.com/camcorders/review/2009/04/18/Canon-LEGRIA-HF20/p1

http://www.trustedreviews.com/camcorders/review/2009/03/21/Canon-LEGRIA-HF-S10/p1

Cheers and thank you for your input -

Tony
Hi Allister -

I am assuming you're talking about what happens after the disc is burned... yes?

Are you really surprised at this? That's how most DVD's behave. When you click on a chapter/scene, you're just choosing a beginning point from which to play. Try it on any commercially produced DVD.

Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree - I quite often am!!!

Tony
Nathan -

That sounds like the right approach to me... unless, of course, you copy and paste "the bug" and it crops up in your new project.

Cheers -

Tony
Ah Walker - thou hast returneth... and after vacating the premises with such a flourish.

Anyway - if you look further down through that topic (linked above) you'll see the results of some testing. My observation is that the patch fixed the motion issues.

Up to you what you do with that.

Tony

Hi Shawn -

This page will answer your question

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/6544.page

I found it by clicking "Search", which is just up there near the top of the page, and typing in the key words of your question.

Cheers -

Tony
Hi p -

If you haven't read Robert's notes on menus, that would be a good idea...

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/4767.page

On that page, as well, Dafydd put a link to many video tutorials that will help answer your issue...

Those would be good starting points.

Cheers -

Tony
and - sorry Gary - if you do really want to make a DVD to be viewed on a DVD player... I have no idea in the world how that could be done.

I can only think of 2 options -
1. What I described before
2. What I described just then

If there is ANOTHER WAY, I am certain that one member of the team will chime in pretty soon.

Cheers -

Tony
Now I get it. I thought you wanted to make a DVD to play in a DVD player. You just want the video to be on the disc to view on a PC.

Easy.

Assemble all your bits in one place - a folder - the lecture (produced to mpeg or some other video format) & the powerpoint.

Pop in a blank DVD - select the files you want (above) & burn them to disc, using your preferred burning software. You want to create a data disc.

Forget about the EM Converter.

Hey - come on guys - this is a G rated forum. You can't go saying stuff like that. If Dafydd finds out, we'll all be in strife!

And NO - my muddled memory of Latin classes doesn't allow me to translate much at all, let alone obscure explanations. If you had ever met Miss Noonan, you'd understand why the only thing I CAN remember is her... no - forgot it was a family show. Ooops.

Cheers -

Antonius
Hi Gary -

YES - it can be done... but -NO - don't expect the powerpoint to look as crisp as it did before, or the transitions to be as smooth.

To do what you want, the powerpoint has to be converted into video format. This can be done simply with conversion software. You can download a free one here -

http://www.effectmatrix.com/PowerPoint-Video-Converter/Free-PowerPoint-Video-Converter.htm

1. The first step is to ensure the presentation has all its timings in place. If it was operated by mouse clicks during the lecture, you'll need to set each slide to required transition times.

2. Open EM Converter - select the presentation to convert it - select the video format, AVI, mpeg etc. & convert. All narration, music and transitions will be converted. You'll now have a video version.

3. Open PowerDirector - where you probably already have the edited footage of the lecture.

4. Import the converted powerpoint - place it on the timeline after the lecture.

5. When you get up to menus & burning to DVD, just make the converted presentation a new chapter.

That's the only way I know to go about it, because PD7 won't be able to import the PP presentation unless it's in the right format.

Hope this helps.

Cheers -

Tony
Hi A GEEK -

First, check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOPlhOWdVSU.

What would you like to animate? The background? The buttons? The titles?

The answer is probably YES, but it depends on what the question really means.

I'm sure Dafydd's Menu Designer Tutorial will help, anyway.

Cheers -

Tony
Great work Charles – you have certainly moved at lightning speed to provide an answer to the question you asked only a few days ago. Staggering speed and a pretty definitive answer to your own question.

29 April, ’09: Charles asks the question.
“Is it possible to create and use a custom mask in the PiP designer for PD7?”

30 April, ’09: Time 1:50:12 – Charles posts a mask.
“Confirmed. I was able to build a 16:9 ratio mask that masks out the entire left half.”
Time 16:07:15 – Charles completes Converter version 1.
“Ok, the BMP to MSK Converter Utility v1.0 (beta) is done!”

1 May, ’09: Charles completes Converter version 2.
“Below is a link to where you can download my new "Mask Converter" utility. This tool allows you to convert a bitmap image into a PiP mask for use in PowerDirector 7's PiP Designer. This is version 2.0 and that means major improvements over 1.0.”

I’m away from home right now & PowerDirector didn’t come with me this time (!) – so, when we’re reunited , I’ll test the converter utility and post results.

Once again – well done Charles.

Cheers -

Tony
There you go Magnus - 3 different approaches to successfully get the same result... piped music on your phone system.

Hey Cranston! Nice to see you putting in your two cents worth. And BTW, I'm sure you perspire as much as the rest of us.

Tony
Thank you all for your input. Between all the reviews I've read, people I've spoken to and all your ideas, my short list has become anything but that! Reading reviews is one thing, but hearing from people who actually use the things is another thing altogether.

Charles - yes - the Canon HF20 had already fund its way onto my extended short list... and it hasn't been eliminated from the equation so far. I appreciate you sharing your hands on experience. The HF S10 was also considered (similar specs), but there's a prohibitive (for moi) price difference between the two. In OZ the HF S10 costs about $800 more. Unfortunately, CHOICE hasn't updated reviews of camcorders since October '08, so neither of these was included.

James - the low light performance of the HF20/200 is an issue, but that seems to be the case with many comparable models. With my budget, everything is a compromise.

Anyway - every morning the list gets shorter... then grows again during the day, while I go round in circles reading about all the features I probably can't afford.

Team - I really do appreciate your thinking on this topic.

Cheers -

Tony
Geez Adrian!

Imagine how perspicacious I could be if I LOOKED at the menu options! I'd be sweating buckets!

Tony
Magnus -

Nil problemo!

I am assuming it is the audio track from a video you've imported, and that you don't have the original audio file separately. If that's the case, but you have the video file on your PC... I'd leave PD7 out of the equation completely.

Using a utility like FormatFactory or SUPER, you'll be able to convert the video file (whatever format it's in) to an audio file that suits your needs (mp3, WAV or whatever). These converters are free. You can get them at...

http://www.formatoz.com/

http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

If, and I can't think why, you don't have the original video file, you could just produce the section of the video you want to, say, AVI - then use FormatFactory or SUPER to convert it. Easy.

You could probably do it from within PD7, but I dodn't know why you'd want to. Eventually, it'll have to be made into an audio file anyway... and PD7 outputs video. There's a quick guide here...

http://docs.cyberlink.com/english/dv-entertainment/articles/video_format.jsp

Cheers -

Tony
Go to: