Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Some notes to help with menus
RobertWA [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Sep 20, 2008 00:18 Messages: 223 Offline
[Post New]
These notes are intended to help newcomers to Power Director 7 to overcome some of the initial difficulties they experience when working with menus.

First, during the editing stage, it is recommended that you rename your chapters to give them meaningful names, otherwise on the menu buttons they will as appear as Chapter 1, Chapter 2, etc.

When all the editing is done, click on the Create Disc tab. Power Director then inserts a template into the right hand window, with the words My Videos, Play, and Chapters. (If you created subtitles during the editing phase there will also be Subtitles on this template.) What you do now depends on whether you like the appearance of this template, ie the background photo or video, the font shape, size, colour, etc, or not.

If you do NOT like the appearance of the template which Power Director put into your project when you clicked on the Create Disc tab, you can try other templates simply by clicking on them in the left hand window. If none of these suits your needs, you will need to modify a menu, or create a new one. These notes focus mainly on modifying a menu, not creating a new one.

Click on the Modify tab, and the Menu Designer opens up. This is where you modify your template, and you will then use the modified template in your project before you burn the DVD.

In the Menu Designer you can modify the attributes of the text such as the font, its size, colour, shadows, etc. You can also change the background image. But you cannot change the actual words as they appear on the screen, ie My Videos, Item1, Item 2, and Item 3. Remember, this is a TEMPLATE you are working on, not the menu for your project.

When you have made all the changes you want in the Main menu page, use the drop down menu at the bottom to move to the Chapter page, where you can change, for example, the text attributes and the button attributes. You can add buttons if you wish, and make other types of changes.

When this is done, move to the Subtitles page (if you are using subtitles) and make any changes you want.

When you have made all of your changes to all of the menu pages, click on OK. Power Director then asks you for a name for this modified template – enter a name and click OK. Power Director then brings back your project, with the new template inserted.

This template (or the one originally inserted into your project by Power Director if you liked its appearance) is now the basis for your menu, and you will want to make some changes to suit your project. For example, you might change My Videos to Our Holiday, or John’s Graduation, or whatever.

Click the Author tab if it is not already highlighted. DO NOT CLICK THE MODIFY TAB.

To change the text just double-click on it, type the new words and delete the old. You might similarly want to change the other words eg Play might be changed to Play the whole video, etc. The choice is yours to make.

You can also change the position of the words on the screen by clicking and dragging. You can also change other attributes of the text, eg its font, size, colour, shadows, etc by clicking on the "T" symbol at the bottom of the preview window. However these changes, which can be saved with your PROJECT, will not be saved in your TEMPLATE. Further, in the Author mode you cannot change the background image or video because these are features of the template.

At this time if you wish you can also change the background music, and include a First Run Video if you want to.

When you have made these changes you are ready to burn the DVD.

Remember, you use MODIFY to modify a template, which is then used as the basis of your menu in your project. To make changes to your project menu, not the template, you use AUTHOR.

Note. If you want to start from scratch and create a NEW template, just click on the New tab. This also opens up the Menu Designer, and you can proceed very much like described above for modifying a template.

Hope this helps.

Robert

[b]

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 14. 2009 13:25

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Excellent write up.

Dafydd

Videos here:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/3523.page
1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]
Hear, hear everyone and all of you who gets grey hair when struggeling with menues;

1. Watch Dafydd's tutorialvideo
2. Print out Roberts text

Nina
Just something.
https://www.petitpoisvideo.com
Paul [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 25, 2008 04:00 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Well done this really helped.
RobertWA [Avatar]
[Post New]
You're very welcome.
Bryan [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 29, 2008 14:46 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
As a new user these posts really helped me - thanks!
Tim [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 02, 2008 03:07 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
Ah - now I get it! Thanks Robert! You gents on this forum are a class act! Appreciate the help you guys give to us novices!
shawn [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 03, 2009 05:22 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks, does anyone know how to make the music/into screen duration longer as it seems to loop around far too quickly
[Post New]
Hi Shawn -

This page will answer your question

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/6544.page

I found it by clicking "Search", which is just up there near the top of the page, and typing in the key words of your question.

Cheers -

Tony Tread gently and you'll hear the daisies grow...
shawn [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 03, 2009 05:22 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hi thanks Tony, just what I needed.
Bob B [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 12, 2009 15:41 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Can anyone tell me how to create a menu from scratch with more than 4 buttons? I am new to video editing, and am using the Trial Version of PD 8. My goal is to create a DVD of all my old 8mm movies, which I have had put onto a hard drive in .AVI format. Also, some of the menus I've downloaded have motion objects. How can I modify/delete these objects?

Thanks, Bob
[Post New]
I'm a newbie and these notes just saved me HOURS of researching this subject. Thank you, Robert!
sentry [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 26, 2010 02:44 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Yes this is a very good guide. Thanks for that.

But still I have a question...just to make sure.
I finished all the menues step by step like explained here. But then after watching the video on TV I found my background picture too dark, so I have to change it.
Now, as I understand this thread, when I go back to the template editor and make my changes, all the changes I made in the project menu (the fine tuning, text changes etc.) will be gone as soon as I save the modified template and assign it to the project. Is that right?
Or, what I basically want to know: How can I avoid the situation, that I have to redo my project menues?
RobertWA [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Sentry

I haven't used PD7 for some time so I am relying on memory here, but this is what I would try.

First open your project and use Save As to create a copy of the project with another name. Now you have a a copy you can work on and still fall back on the original if something goes wrong.

Click on Create Disc and you should see your menu with the changes you have made eg the words My Videos replaced by your own words.

Now click on any one of the menus on the left part of the screen.

What you should see (I think) is the new template inserted into your project but with your own words retained.

If that is the case go back to the list of menu templates and click on the one you previously developed, ie the one you started this session with.

Now click on the Modify tab and make the necessary changes to your background picture and save the new template. When it is saved it should be automatically loaded into your project. So hopefully you now have your new template but still with your own words instead of My Videos, etc.

As I said I am working from memory so I hope this advice is correct. I don't have PD7 installed on my computer so I cannot check. If I am wrong I am sure that someone who is currently using POD7 will correct me.

Good luck

Robert
sentry [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 26, 2010 02:44 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Hey Robert,
no, it didn't work tat way. Well maybe I did something wrong (I have a german version), but I wasn't able to keep my own words.
Anyway, thank you for your help...the opener of this thread saved me so much time - I rearranged my menues manually and still have some time left to type these lines
RobertWA [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Sentry

No, you didn't do anything wrong. I re-installed PD7 and it works just as you described. Sorry to raise your hopes. Clearly working from memory is OK only if your memory is OK!

Good luck with your videos.

Robert