Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Quote Hello,

I want to add a text display box over my video and then update the contents at specific times in the video. Similar to a score overlay used in sport events. So I want the text box to persists the entire video and just update it as needed during the video.

How could I do this? Thank you.

Use a mask?

(It's a pretty basic edit, so I apologize if I don't understand the question.)

Meaning, you have to create an overlay that will show in front of the video, but not block the video.
Thus, you can create the text box and iterations with the desired text, (and a blank one too? Think Flash-cards) inserted at the approriate time.

I do this when I fake subtitles to foreign video or to keep score in a sporting event.
(You can use PD Titles or a .jpg/.png mask.)

If you want a custom display box, screen grab it or draw it and make it a .png for tranparency if it's not rectangular.
Insert the text or make seperate .pngs.

Gimp is a great picture editting freeware.
Thank you. Your response was intricately and adequately descriptive.

(But, Yes, I've lost months of work because my 'saved' projects were automatically deleted.)

Please don't take any of this as being unappreciative. You obviously know your s**t.

My complaint is the counterintuitive presentation and use of the words 'save' and 'temporary'.

The constraints in language of - 'Properly saved files to a user defined location are not treated as temporary' begs the question because the location is determinent and not the file type. All the file extensions are the same and thus, all the files in the targetted location will be deleted. They are not temporary files, they are made temporary by being placed in a location marked for deletion.
Meaning - 'Saved files to a properly defined location are not treated as temporary' would be more accurate. None of which is conveyed in the menu prompts.
(It sure would've been nice to know this before the recent carnage.)

Perhaps if the 'Auto delete temporary files every:' ,,, setting was put on the same Preferences - menu page as the 'Auto save project every:' ... setting and to be so bold, clarity can only be achieved by replacing the word TEMPORARY with ALL until the addition of a Browse/pull-down for 'Properly saved files' is added. At least then, the apparent potential for carnage would get a 'Hey, Wait a Minute...'

I appreciated your input.
If this is true........

What utter Bison Excrement.

Are these the same guys who got fired from Pixar after the Toy Story 2 fiasco?

WHY WOULD ANY PROGRAM DELETE A SAVED PROJECT?
(As, arguably, versus an auto saved project.)

So, Cyberlink, some questions.

1) Are all project files temporary?

2) Is it necessary to create a safe zone for projects to be retained for more than 60 days?
(I think that's the auto-delete maximum time.)

3) Can a project more than 60 days old be loaded and re-saved without being deleted?

4) How long are projects kept in the Cloud?

5) Doesn't this all sound like a back-handed way to get me hooked on the Cloud?

and..........

6) Is there anyway, other than thru specefic medium data recovery to recover auto-deleted files?
This entire experience is very frustrating.

I shoulda bought Adobe.

Turn off shadow files if you have them on, and manually delete the files in pref > General. Reopen project and see if issue still occurs. If it does, copy entire timeline contents and paste into a new project and see if issue still occurs.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, Gonna go try that.

Really just kinda frustrating to have a bug.

'Gotta jiggle the handle.' LOL
Quote The clips is clearly present but it's simply on a lower track. See this post for more info.

All the tracks are visible.
Soooooo, making a little movie and this ghost clip keeps re-appearing.

As you can see there is no content below the timeline marker.

It is a scene in another clip, but that clip is not supposed to be shown at this point in the production.

I've closed/opened PD a couple of times and it won't go away.

(I made the gap trying to find which clip this piece was in.)

I just encountered something somewhat similar...

Moved a small protion of a medium-sized project from the end to the bginning. PD crashed, closed and sent an error report. (Hopefully this will provide all the necessary particulars.)

Anyway, when I restarted, reloaded, re-editted and moved it again, (I know,,, repeating an action, with a binary machine, expecting different results... but, I digress,,, there are humans involved...) the last piece of video went blank.

I'm getting used to having to overlay corrections for hiccups like this all too frequently.

And now PD has created a dead zone.

When I tried to restart, reload, re-edit and move it in pieces, the place with the previous black spot is a dead (kill?!?) zone.

Moving that last piece crashed the program. (No error report, guess CL took the phone off the hook...)

I guess I'll go back, restart, reload, re-edit and when I go to move the last piece, save a copy and if it crashes again start a new project, completely reload, try and copy and paste most edits, re-edit the rest and if that crashes, I'll start another new project, completely reload, completely re-edit and add that time to my beta-testing time sheet too.
I've used Gimp, transparency, layers, .gifs, and poetic license to get me pretty close to the message intended in the original clip.

A good distraction can cover a multitude of errors.

Hi,

Did you manage to resolve this problem? Be interesting to know if it was an isolated case or something that can be replicated?

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

I just encountered something somewhat similar...

Moved a small protion of a medium-sized project from the end to the bginning. PD crashed, closed and sent an error report. (Hopefully this will provide all the necessary particulars.)

Anyway, when I restarted, reloaded, re-editted and moved it again, (I know,,, repeating an action, with a binary machine, expecting different results... but, I digress,,, there are humans involved...) the last piece of video went blank.

I'm getting used to having to overlay corrections for hiccups like this all too frequently.
Quote You can lock all the other tracks before adding an overlap transition on that particaular track. This is so that the assets on the other tracks don't move. You can release the other tracks afterwards if desired.

Welcome to the World of PowerDirector,,,

When conducting the band, to make the drums play, you must tell all the other instruments to remain silent.

Hi,

Did you find a solution to this or was it a "random" issue that cannot be replicated?

You can pass on your concerns about verification code color directly to CL using the File>Rate Us and Provide Suggestions. I will pass in across to my contact there as well.

Cheers,
PowerDirector Moderator

The only solution I've found to fix these extremely frustrating 'hiccups' (and I've encountered more and more) is to re-configure another original, over-write the affected portion and deal with the headaches that that creates.

There is alot to enjoy about working with this product, but in the end (or in the beginning?!?) the basic definition of a machine is it's supposed to do what you tell it to do, exactly what you tell it to do and only what you tell it to do. I'm starting to think there may be quite a few movie scripts needing some editting: The machines aren't made bad, they're made badly.

(Unfortunately, I can't help but think all of this was solved by Adobe and a better product. )
Of the multitude of problems I've had with PowerDirector this is the most frustrating.

The sound in a video clip will change on it's own.

Sometimes you can close the program and restart to fix, but I'm unsure if saving before closing is a good idea, (kinda locks in the glitch and it would be a pain to sift thru auto-saves to find when the glitch occurred) and sometimes Power Director won't even restart requiring a reboot, which means closing all other work in all other programs and restarting and reloading them.

I think this is good product for the Novice/Low-end user, but even a beginner will outgrow it quickly.

(Oh, and BTW, using colors in the verification code makes it nearly impossible for people who are colorblind. 1 in 12 men and 1 in 200 women.)
Go to: