Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Displaying persistent text but updating it through out the video?
2dguy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 16, 2021 12:33 Messages: 43 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

I want to add a text display box over my video and then update the contents at specific times in the video. Similar to a score overlay used in sport events. So I want the text box to persists the entire video and just update it as needed during the video.

How could I do this? Thank you.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 14. 2022 04:54

Ricky Bobby [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 16, 2022 16:04 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hello,

I want to add a text display box over my video and then update the contents at specific times in the video. Similar to a score overlay used in sport events. So I want the text box to persists the entire video and just update it as needed during the video.

How could I do this? Thank you.

Use a mask?

(It's a pretty basic edit, so I apologize if I don't understand the question.)

Meaning, you have to create an overlay that will show in front of the video, but not block the video.
Thus, you can create the text box and iterations with the desired text, (and a blank one too? Think Flash-cards) inserted at the approriate time.

I do this when I fake subtitles to foreign video or to keep score in a sporting event.
(You can use PD Titles or a .jpg/.png mask.)

If you want a custom display box, screen grab it or draw it and make it a .png for tranparency if it's not rectangular.
Insert the text or make seperate .pngs.

Gimp is a great picture editting freeware.
2dguy [Avatar]
[Post New]

Use a mask?

(It's a pretty basic edit, so I apologize if I don't understand the question.)

Meaning, you have to create an overlay that will show in front of the video, but not block the video.
Thus, you can create the text box and iterations with the desired text, (and a blank one too? Think Flash-cards) inserted at the approriate time.

I do this when I fake subtitles to foreign video or to keep score in a sporting event.
(You can use PD Titles or a .jpg/.png mask.)

If you want a custom display box, screen grab it or draw it and make it a .png for tranparency if it's not rectangular.
Insert the text or make seperate .pngs.

Gimp is a great picture editting freeware.

Thank you for the reply but let's think of a game like basketball where there is a score every few seconds, that would be a lot of pre made graphics. I would hope there is a way to do this directly inside PD365 using the built in text features.
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]

Thank you for the reply but let's think of a game like basketball where there is a score every few seconds, that would be a lot of pre made graphics. I would hope there is a way to do this directly inside PD365 using the built in text features.

Hi,

Is this the sort of thing - a very quick and dirty illustration?

Main video in Track 1.
Colorboard in Track 2 - play with opacity , gradient, color etc.
Title in Track 3 - change text as the play goes on. Do the first text content - size, position, characteristics, animation of your choice.
Copy that 1st Title, insert x number of times to suit - they will all have the same characteristics.
Change each text content to suit the main video content.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator
[Thumb - Text box.png]
 Filename
Text box.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
494 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 14. 2022 14:03

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
2dguy [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hello,

I ended up doing something similar, I created a graphic overlay via a transparent .png file. This would be a graphic container for any text needed to display. This graphic's duration was basically the entire clip.

Then I created text using the editor and I was able to add several texts in one object. I then copied this object when I needed to update it, onto the timeline, etc, etc. I ended up having to copy/paste dozens of times through the time line. It works... but it's not very intuitive imop.

I think a persistent text container would be a worthy addition to PWD20/365. You wouldn't need to keep track of all the properties and let them all be changed at anytime. Just the text string itself could be updated at anytime during the life of the persistent text object. Everything else would be static like it is currently. (font, size, color, shadow, etc) I would guess you would allow the user to select keyframes on the timeline where they could update the text. And then click on them to edit/remove, etc, etc. Perhaps similar to how mult crop/zoom/pan is handled. This would be great for producing sport events and keeping score. Thx!

Hi,

Is this the sort of thing - a very quick and dirty illustration?

Main video in Track 1.
Colorboard in Track 2 - play with opacity , gradient, color etc.
Title in Track 3 - change text as the play goes on. Do the first text content - size, position, characteristics, animation of your choice.
Copy that 1st Title, insert x number of times to suit - they will all have the same characteristics.
Change each text content to suit the main video content.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator