Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
pjc,

If someone like you is leaving, I'm sure a lot of people will follow. A company that doesn't listen to its customers will eventually dissapear.

I personally left this forum and PD few months ago, I came back after the news about PD8 just to be dissaponted again, but at the same time I was so glad that you were still here sharing your wisdom.

We were promised a solution in PD7 to the AVCHD issue, they had enough time to fix the problem, they didn't. Your decision make sense.

CHEERS,

Juan
Quote: Robert, Thank you for that info.
The only, and I repeat, my only point of contention with PD-7 or PD-8, is the finished product. (using AVCHD format, not MPEG2)

AVCHD (m2ts) files from camcorders that are not on the list of "Supported AVCHD camcorders" are degraded by PD's re-rendering process when you 'produce' or 'Create Disc' in 'AVCHD or MPEG4 AVC' formats. (not talking here about MPEG2)
(ie: the files used in the production process and/or buring processes are not the same as the original files.)

But, If you have a camcorder that is on the list of "Supported AVCHD camcorders" those files do not need to be re-rendered by PD, because PD has the 'rights', from Sony and Panasonic, to reproduce their AVCHD files without re-rendering, resulting in a finished product that is far superior than those from camcorders that are not on 'the list'.)

If I am correct on this, I guess, if this is so important to me, I will have to go fishing for other software that supports my camcorder.

Unfortunately, it's seems that SVRT does not work with any AVCHD and the problem is with the PD "rendering engine". Somebody with a "supported camcorder" can give you a real answer.
That's simply ignoring the whole creative gamut available from, for instance, colour grading of the footage for desired effect on the viewer, which is a large part of a professional video editor's work. If you read a little on the pro video forums you will see almost no emphasis on smart rendering - it's meaningless in the context of other than basic point-and-shoot video.

I clearly stated that it's just my opinion (we are NOT professional video editors). I was expecting an answer like this, that's why I gave you the second point:

"Second, under the suposition that I do agree with you in altering 100% of video (I don't), what you want is the best possible quality. Unfortunately PowerDirector has the worst AVCHD rendering of any NLE (introducing blocking and compression artifacts)"

It is a FACT that PD introduce blocking and compression artifacts when rendering AVCHD, it's been extensively discused in this forum and recognized by Cyberlink. Please use the search button. The only way for you to be sure about the comparative quality with others NLE, its using them. Most of them have free trials. I don't think that we are allowed to name them here. In my opinion PD is by far the worst rendering AVCHD.

It's also generally held that while one can pixel-peep at stills from renders, overall picture quality can only be judged with running video

You are right, but this picture give you an idea about the issue. the comparison was done using PowerDirector 7 Ultra. In the first post pjc stated that there's no improvement with PD 8. Again, you should try this by yourself. This is a Cyberlink forum and a comparison with others programs would be difficult to post, especially when you want videos and not pictures and the results will be against the interest of it's own program.

Please don't get me wrong, PD is a wonderful program if you are NOT rendering AVCHD.
Quote: Just a comment about SVRT, it seems a bit of a waste to me. I run at least a minimum of the sharpening module on all of my videos and now that PD8 has the video enhancement module which does a great job, SVRT will not run on any of my videos because I have altered the original video.

First, when you have a camera like Canon HF-10/HF100 or the newer models you don't need to use any of those filters/tools. What you want is to preserve the quality of the original video. IMO if you are altering the source more than 30% of the time you are not doing a good job editing, but that just my opinion.

Second, under the suposition that I do agree with you in altering 100% of video (I don't), what you want is the best possible quality. Unfortunately PowerDirector has the worst AVCHD rendering of any NLE (introducing blocking and compression artifacts), Please check this comparison posted by pjc:

http://www.4shared.com/file/87734087/c4c265da/Comparison.html

Third, PowerDirector has the same behaviour with AVCHD files from any camcorder, supported or not. The final AVCHD rendering quality is garbage for any of them.

Therefore, if you are planning to use PD to render to AVCHD, my recommendation is to look elsewhere.

Quote: In what respect? Colour, artifacts, movement, definition? What should I be looking for? I see nothing amiss.

Peter, please check the following thread:

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/5480.page

What this thread is mostly about is PD introducing blocking and compression artifact when rendering AVCHD videos

This a really good comparison posted by pjc

http://www.4shared.com/file/87734087/c4c265da/Comparison.html
Quote: I'd rate it as much better than Premiere Elements, Studio 12.1, Nero 9, and Magix for AVCHD work. Timeline performance is so good that there's no prerender or conversion issues and render quality is absolutely fine (I use the same files for testing all products so I'm very familiar with looking for any degradation).

My PC and AVCHD files loves it, yours doesn't - funny things, computers.

I agree with you that PD has better interface than those programs, but at the same time the AVCHD render quality of any of them is far superior to PowerDirector. Everything good about PD is absolutely worthless when the final video quality is garbage. There are HUNDREDS of posts about this issue, even Cyberlink recognize it. Unfortunately they did nothing about it.

All this is unrelated to your computer/hardware configuration. It is a FACT that is a PowerDirector issue. The only funny thing is that you cannot see it.
ONE MORE THING!

It's a shame that a thread with VITAL information like this, is misteriously and conveniently relegated to secondary pages, even when it has the latest post in the whole forum.

there's no valid excuse for this kind of behaviour!

The Moderator should make this thread a sticky.

Thanks
Quote:
I agree with pjc - don't try (or buy) PD8 if you've got AVCHD content.
Oh come on - you're saying "it doesn't work for me, therefore it won't work for anyone" - which is obviously nonsense.

This is a well documented issue, reported more than ONE YEAR ago for numerous users and never resolved by cyberlink.

PowerDirector is a wonderful program if you are NOT editing/rendering AVCHD.

HOWEVER, please don't waste your time with this program if you are working with AVCHD. This is probably the worst software to work with this kind of media.

It's a shame they never fixed AVCHD rendering/SVRT in PD7, but it's a business suicide that they didn't implement/fix it in PD8.

Nice to see that pjc is still sharing his wisdom in this forum.
Quote: I really hope the patch gets release AFTER May 14, so we can properly state that Cyberlink is a software company that takes more than ONE YEAR to fix a feature that should have worked properly from day one, as advertised.

This is probably the most stupid thing that I've written in my life (It's unbelievable what frustration can do), HOWEVER here we are more than ONE YEAR later waiting for Cyberlink to fix this issue.

My recommendation: DO NOT buy this program if you plan to use it with your AVCHD camcorder.

Yes, you can see the AVCHD logo all over the place, but that doesn't tell you the extremely POOR quality of AVCHD files rendered by this product (please, don't let me start with the ATI stream LIE). I don't know how this company doesn't have any legal problems.

To be fair, programs that give you good quality AVCHD cost at least $100 more, but please don't waste your money and time in PowerDirector.

I have to assume my fault, I bought it. My mistake, sorry about that.

Some people here are taking about "Powerless Director 8", is that a joke? Are they gonna fix all these issues there?. I will never spend my money in another Cyberlink product again.

GOOD BYE.
I really hope the patch gets release AFTER May 14, so we can properly state that Cyberlink is a software company that takes more than ONE YEAR to fix a feature that should have worked properly from day one, as advertised.
Quote: the "please register" screen pops up every single time I start PowerDirector.
I completed that form a coulple of times already, but it keeps jumping up at the start of the program.

I have the same problem in powerdirector and powerdvd. Somebody knows how to solve this? it is annoying.
Dafydd, is it possible to have at least a monthly update about this issue? please.

Just to remember, more than 2 months ago some members of this forum were asked to submit clips to resolve this problem, moreover the bad quality of AVCHD files rendered in PD7 was reported more 11 months ago in another extensive thread

I try to stay positive, next month we'll "celebrate" 1 YEAR!!!! waiting for a patch.

Thanks again.
Good news, Indeed.

Does this FIX include SVRT for AVCHD?

Thanks
Quote: I am holding off starting another big project (our last family holiday) because the effort involved to get the output to my satisfaction (albeit with compromises) results in my enthusiasm for editing to wane.
If SVRT worked and the AVCHD render was improved I am sure my drive to get into it would increase again.

I'm in the same position my friend, videos are piling up on me.

I'm going to act the innocent and wait for a patch. It's been only 10 months.

Seriously, we need an update (any information, please!)

Thanks.
I understand other issues with avchd are present in PD7, however this thread is about PD7 introducing blocking and compression artifact when rendering AVCHD videos.

More than a month ago some members of this forum were asked to submit clips to resolve this problem, moreover the bad quality of AVCHD files rendered in PD7 was reported more 10 months ago in another extensive thread.

I respectfully request an update to this issue.

THANKS
pjc,

That's a great picture, it shows clearly the difference in quality between the original and the AVCHD file rendered by PD7. The guys at Cyberlink should have a copy.

Unfortunately, I don't have a NVidia card to test the GPU rendering. Anyway, that's an unexpected result!

Juan
I finally installed the patch after a full reinstall of PD7 using the "microsoft cleanup tool"
Quote: 2519 is a patch. PD does not ask for uninstallation. The patch gets applied straight.

I know that, like I said I installed the previous patch, no problem. But, this patch DOES ASK for uninstallation.

I guess, I will have to reinstall PD7, again.
I have the exact same problem.

First, when I bought PD7 I installed the full version 7.0.2227c. Then I Installed the patch 2429a, no problem. No luck with 2519.

Was anybody able to install this patch?
Quote: SVRT works as you say for the first clip for my Canon but SVRT doesn't work at all for my Pana SD9 due to the slight quirks Pana have used when using their own interpretation of the AVCHD codec.
So at the moment I am stuck until they sort it out.

This is good information, what canon camcorder do you have?
Go to: