Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
AVCHD Final Render Quality
WilliamI [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 22, 2008 01:05 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
David,

I'm sure the few users who have posted on this are not the only ones experiencing the problem. Although you and I represented the steps to reproduce the combing effect differently the net result appears to be identical. Cyberlink has accepted the steps and samples that I provided as a bug. My hope is that it also corrects the way you are reproducing the issue.

Personally I think a great deal of people don't even notice the issue or just think something weird happened in the video and go on. Hardware can also mask the problem so that might play into it as well. For example my video card has a deinterlacing mode that when enabled "almost" totally masks the problem. Intel Core 2 Quad, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, Vista 64 bit, ATI Radeon HD 3850, Canon HF100
Davec_Surrey_UK
Newbie Location: Surrey Joined: Feb 07, 2009 05:37 Messages: 33 Offline
[Post New]
For sure any deinterlacing method that uses blend will "almost" mask the problem, but at a terrible cost to picture quality. As you say though, perhaps people are "used" to the results and don't realise how much better it can be?

I hope they put a fix in soon, because it is a bit of a pain going thru each clip.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 24. 2009 12:49

Intel Quad Core, NV 8800GT, Vista (32bit), Canon Powershot TX1. Editing 1280x720 (p) NTSC 30 fps motion jpeg in .avi container....to AVCHD DVDs for Blu Ray playback
Juan [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Canada Joined: Dec 01, 2008 23:35 Messages: 33 Offline
[Post New]
I understand other issues with avchd are present in PD7, however this thread is about PD7 introducing blocking and compression artifact when rendering AVCHD videos.

More than a month ago some members of this forum were asked to submit clips to resolve this problem, moreover the bad quality of AVCHD files rendered in PD7 was reported more 10 months ago in another extensive thread.

I respectfully request an update to this issue.

THANKS

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 15. 2009 00:27

[Post New]
Yes Juan, the thread has been somewhat highjacked.

I am holding off starting another big project (our last family holiday) because the effort involved to get the output to my satisfaction (albeit with compromises) results in my enthusiasm for editing to wane.
If SVRT worked and the AVCHD render was improved I am sure my drive to get into it would increase again.
Juan [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I am holding off starting another big project (our last family holiday) because the effort involved to get the output to my satisfaction (albeit with compromises) results in my enthusiasm for editing to wane.
If SVRT worked and the AVCHD render was improved I am sure my drive to get into it would increase again.

I'm in the same position my friend, videos are piling up on me.

I'm going to act the innocent and wait for a patch. It's been only 10 months.

Seriously, we need an update (any information, please!)

Thanks.
[Post New]
I suspect the render problem is not going to be fixed very quickly. However if the lack of SVRT (which IS A BUG) is fixed then it will be manageable.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
I am chasing this issue with CyberLink.

Has everyone read Adrian's postings here:
vn800rider. HD Editing - AVCHD, AVC, HDV and 720p, 1080p, 1080i
Article 1: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/5924.page
Article 2: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/5925.page
Article 3: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/0/5926.page

I found them really interesting.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 16. 2009 04:16

[Post New]
Yes, have read them thanks. Good info for many.

Not really sure of the relevance to this tread.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
pjc - the thread is an "of interest" in relation to what you capture, what you process and how it is presented on ones TV screen. The relevance, darn good articles and has info on what to look for/avoid.

Update information:
For all those who have reported an AVCHD render issue. R&D at CyberLink are currently trying to resolve the problem which entails changing the render algorithms, a lot of work is involved. R&D have indicated they hope to release the fix at the earliest possible time.
Dafydd
[Moderator]

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Mar 16. 2009 10:18

[Post New]
Thanks Dafydd,

This is exactly the news we are waiting for. Gives me some encouragement. I must say I am surprised they are tackling the rendering algorithms. Indeed a big ask ...well done.
Juan [Avatar]
[Post New]
Good news, Indeed.

Does this FIX include SVRT for AVCHD?

Thanks
Davec_Surrey_UK
Newbie Location: Surrey Joined: Feb 07, 2009 05:37 Messages: 33 Offline
[Post New]
Any update on the interlacing artifacts generated by Cyberlink unless all the clip times are reset when they don't match the original clip duration

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/30/5480.page

I sent all the files in that were requested and have still heard/seen nothing?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 24. 2009 10:00

Intel Quad Core, NV 8800GT, Vista (32bit), Canon Powershot TX1. Editing 1280x720 (p) NTSC 30 fps motion jpeg in .avi container....to AVCHD DVDs for Blu Ray playback
Random_Jay [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Maryland Joined: Jun 18, 2008 00:35 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
I am curious when the patch for AVCHD rendering issues can be expected as well. I am experiencing severe motion artifacts whenever I render to .m2ts (using any of the included profiles or custom ones I create). My original footage is from a Canon HF-100 recorded at FXP resolution. When I render the output to WMV or MP4 I do not experience any of these artifacts. I tried using David's suggestion of clicking on the speed button and "syncing" up the timing, but that didn't help either with the .m2ts files.

While we are waiting for a patch, is there any way to increase the quality of the .MP4 output templates? The one for the PSP works pretty well, but I would really like to get the output up to the 720p level. At least when rendering to .MP4 I can take advantage of GPU encoding, which significantly reduces my render times. Any additional input from the other experts in this forum would be appreciated as well.
Juan [Avatar]
[Post New]
Dafydd, is it possible to have at least a monthly update about this issue? please.

Just to remember, more than 2 months ago some members of this forum were asked to submit clips to resolve this problem, moreover the bad quality of AVCHD files rendered in PD7 was reported more 11 months ago in another extensive thread

I try to stay positive, next month we'll "celebrate" 1 YEAR!!!! waiting for a patch.

Thanks again.
[Post New]
Quote: At least when rendering to .MP4 I can take advantage of GPU encoding, which significantly reduces my render times. Any additional input from the other experts in this forum would be appreciated as well.

Hi Jay,
you should be able to use GPU encoding for AVCHD and it has more reliable quality than non-GPU encoding.
Juan [Avatar]
[Post New]
I really hope the patch gets release AFTER May 14, so we can properly state that Cyberlink is a software company that takes more than ONE YEAR to fix a feature that should have worked properly from day one, as advertised.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 02. 2009 00:37

Juan [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I really hope the patch gets release AFTER May 14, so we can properly state that Cyberlink is a software company that takes more than ONE YEAR to fix a feature that should have worked properly from day one, as advertised.

This is probably the most stupid thing that I've written in my life (It's unbelievable what frustration can do), HOWEVER here we are more than ONE YEAR later waiting for Cyberlink to fix this issue.

My recommendation: DO NOT buy this program if you plan to use it with your AVCHD camcorder.

Yes, you can see the AVCHD logo all over the place, but that doesn't tell you the extremely POOR quality of AVCHD files rendered by this product (please, don't let me start with the ATI stream LIE). I don't know how this company doesn't have any legal problems.

To be fair, programs that give you good quality AVCHD cost at least $100 more, but please don't waste your money and time in PowerDirector.

I have to assume my fault, I bought it. My mistake, sorry about that.

Some people here are taking about "Powerless Director 8", is that a joke? Are they gonna fix all these issues there?. I will never spend my money in another Cyberlink product again.

GOOD BYE.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 17. 2009 01:41

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Juan,

I think the complete rebuild of the render structure for AVCHD will now be in PD8 and not a patch for PD7. **INCORRECT - see later posting**.

IMPORTANT Please PM me your contact details and list your full complaint. I'll ask CyberLink to make direct contact with you.

There is a lot written on the web about 1080i AVCHD and the issues with rendering an interlaced files. I'm sure you've looked those up.

Did you read Adrian's articles?
vn800rider. HD Editing - AVCHD, AVC, HDV and 720p, 1080p, 1080i
Article 1: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/5924.page
Article 2: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/5925.page
Article 3: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/0/5926.page

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 21. 2009 03:44

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ok here's an update.

The AVCHD quality will be fixed in the next patch for PD7 - coming out very soon, sorry I don't have a specific date.

Dafydd
[Moderator]
[Post New]
Thanks Dafydd. I will eagerly await then put it through its paces!
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
Good!!! I'm glad their fixing this for version 7 and not expecting customers to pay more to get working features we already paid for. Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT