Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Which version of Windows is best for using PowerDirector as HD editor
Antiekeradio
Newbie Location: Netherlands, EU Joined: Oct 20, 2008 06:24 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
Well, the subject is self-explanatory.

I have a Q9550 processor with 4GB and a Nv 9800GT video card.

My computer is set up as a multiboot environment (using linux's GRUB boot loader and its possibilities to hide and unhide Hard Drive partitions)
so that I have room for 3 versions of MS Windows, each installed on a partition visible to it as drive C:

Currently I have Windows 7 Bèta 64bits, and Windows XP pro 32bits installed.

Due to the memory allocation problem in 32bits versions, I think that the best I could do is to try PowerDirector in Windows7.

I have read some discussion where it is said that XP 64 bits is the way to go, but generally there is only a very limited amount on info on which OS is best suitable to install PD on.

I am planning to do AVCHD editing, so for bigger projects it would be nice to be able to use all RAM in my PC.

babindia
Senior Contributor Location: India Joined: Aug 16, 2007 06:11 Messages: 884 Offline
[Post New]
Safe bet XP 64 bit. I have said this many times and at many posts PC specs :
OS Windows 10.0 Pro
MB - AS rock Z77 extreme 11
Intel 3770K @ 4.0 Ghz OC
Gskill 32 GB RAM 1800 Mhz
6 TB HDD, SSD bootable
nVidia ASUS GTX 660 Ti
BenQ 22" LCD monitor 1920x1080

James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
I use XP 32 bit for AVCHD (4 GB of ram, but only 3 used) and it works just fine. Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
Antiekeradio
Newbie Location: Netherlands, EU Joined: Oct 20, 2008 06:24 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the comments so far!

Is there anyone who can comment on the use under Win7?
(since I have that installed already, and not XP x64)

greetings, Wouter
Antiekeradio
[Post New]
OK I have installed PD7 on my Windows7 beta installation (build 7000)

0 errors at install, 0 other errors encountered so far.

1 thing that needed some attention was that the hardware accellerated encoding was not selectable. After installing the latest special (also beta) drivers for Windows 7 from the nVidia website, this option became available.

It does make a big difference in processing speed!
I also observed the differences between CPU and GPU encoding (GPU gives a slightly higher bitrate / file size)

I'll keep you up to date if I run into other snags using Win7, but for the time being it seems that we have a winner.
Antiekeradio
[Post New]
I think there may be one issue, that might have to do with Win7 (but I am not sure it actually is!)

the "please register" screen pops up every single time I start PowerDirector.
I completed that form a coulple of times already, but it keeps jumping up at the start of the program.
Juan [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Canada Joined: Dec 01, 2008 23:35 Messages: 33 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: the "please register" screen pops up every single time I start PowerDirector.
I completed that form a coulple of times already, but it keeps jumping up at the start of the program.

I have the same problem in powerdirector and powerdvd. Somebody knows how to solve this? it is annoying.