Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Just to give the last update: after giving up with multicam editing since after 3 min all was lagging, and waiting for budget grow for a new PC (conf ready), having more time I try one last thing: disable all non fundamental running services on my laptop.

It work, and I just finished editing in multicam the three mkv files, with 68 min available to edit on timeline.

I need now to be able to edit it and appear I'm at the limit of my laptop possibilities since PD it's lagging just opening the project to produce thumbnails, but so far so good.
I've 2 GoPro video tracks of the same scene, recorded with still cameras left and right, the idea is to combine them in a 3D movie.

Reading this topic http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/22331.page

appear PD10 didn't have any specific toolset to work on, does PD12 improve his 3D editing capabilities?
Quote:
Is this the Case you are looking at?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811345016

Anyway this is the case I found from your description.

Cooling should be OK, it has two 120 MM fans.

What bothers me is the form factor of the mother board.

It says "Mini-ITX"
Be sure you get the correct mother board.

No this one it's the mATX version
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811345030
that share anyway the same chassis of the miniITX version (appear to be a problem since its internally crowded)

Found also this one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811196047
that appear to be better from tests since its built to be mATX with some better internal space.
In brief will have budget for the new rig.

Just realized planned Cooler Master CM 690 III case it's too big for the location.

Considering a smaller mATX case such as BitPhenix Prodigy M, the question is if it's too small for a good air cooling.

Any experience to share on such small cases?
After some comparisons decided will go for original Gigabyte, more complete in term of features, easy to install and appear to be solid, thanks for the useful discussion.
Quote: The Mother Board is the most important part of a computer.

You cannot skip on quality or price for a Mother Board.
You want a full size Mother board. Not one of the mini-boards.

This one would be a better choice over Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H Socket 1150

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128717

This is a mATX mobo, always good respect ATX?
Also why Z97 if I didn't OC?

I was evaluating also Asus H97-Plus, any thought on that?
Quote:
I think a 430w power supply is low. If you decide to upgrade your GPU in the future, some will not run on 500w or less. The R9 270X is a nice card but maybe in the future you may want to put another one in your rig to run in crossfire (like me), in which case you'll definitely need a bigger power supply. I think mine is 850w on Alienware and 475w on the Dell. The Dell does not have room for another GPU like the Alienware does.

Andrew

Recalculating PSU with double ram, 3hdd, double GPU, BD burner, etc got a suggested 650w PSU. Will look to have XFX 650w instead of 550 for future proof if this stay in the budget.

My concern it's about the mobo, what I need to care about for multimedia usage?
Quote: If you put a SSD drive I would recommend you go for at least 240 GB or more. 128 GB is a little too small for Windows and all of your Programs. The Price of SSD drives has gotten very reasonable. You can find 256 GB SSD drives for just a little over $100.

PowerDirector works best if it has 60-100 GB (best at 100 GB) of free space available on the OS drive.

You should think about a 600 watt or greater Power Supply. I have a 700 Watt in my computer.

Unfortunately to remain on budget I can't afford a bigger SSD. 120GB will be enough for Win and the essential multimedia programs, since PC will be used only for that.
PD need 100GB for BD production, but can be also on the HDD?
Also about power supply using http://www.coolermaster.outervision.com/ and this one http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp tell a 430w will be recommended with this rig, you think 550w will be not enough? I'm not an expert, my first system conf.
After test and try I give up, it's not possible to use my laptop for multicam editing with the need to decode three H264 stream in realtime, both using PD12 or another fast NLVE sw I've tested.
PD12 appear to be working at first, but after first 5min of recording videos start lagging to an unusable level.

So the best option it's a new real PC, cost tag about $1300 (€1000), after some check I've these conf that will use also with realtime 3D engine, do you have any comment/suggestion (especially about the mobo)?

Case Midi Cooler Master CM 690 III ATX Black
Internal HDD Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 2TB 3.5" 64MB SATA3
SSD Crucial MX100 2.5" 128GB read 550MB/s write 150MB/s SATA3
RAM DDR3 Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 16GB (2x8GB) 1600MHz CL9 1.5V
PSU PC XFX TS 550W ATX 80+ Gold
CPU Intel Core i7-4790 Socket 1150 3,6GHz 8MB 22nm HD Graphics 4600 Boxed
CPU Cooler Raijintek Themis Socket Intel 775/1150/1155/1156/1366/2011 AMD
Mobo Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H Socket 1150 Intel H97 DDR3 USB3 ATX
GPU Sapphire - R9-270x-4gddr5
DVD burner Samsung SH-224DB DVD/CD 24x Sata Black Bulk
OS Microsoft Windows 8.1 64bit OEM DVD EN
Ok done the test and also read a lot about hw accelleration.

1 - using MP4 files seems to work well. I need anyway to try again to do a fair comparison: mkv was encoded 9Mbps 25p, mp4 are encoded 6Mbps 50p. Anyway multicam is working I think I can try do continue my project. Also setting "normal quality" for playback helps. Just interested to know if hw accelleration recognize the container or the contained video encoding: both mkv and mp4 contain an mpeg4 avc encoded video.

2 - strange thing about a topic I've read a lot around PD forum: quicksync seems not to be used during video playback. During conversion I used latest Handbrake and it push GPU to 80% during conversion using QS, reducing by 75% my conversion time. PD option "Enable hardware decoding" is enabled, but during playback my GPU it's working at less than 5%. Don't want to compare Handbrake with PD, to completely different sw, just to say QS can make a lot of difference in encoding, can't understand why cannot be used also during decoding.

3- understood probably a eGPU won't make so much difference for me, want first to understand if QS can speed up video playback during multicam editing.
Thanks Dafydd, I'll do the clip test.

There is in fact one thing I can do to improve my hw: adopt a more powerful GPU through a eGPU solution.

This will allow me to use a desktop grade discrete GPU with almost the same performances of a real desktop.

As I understood hw accelleration its for sure used in the final production process, but this will also speed my editing process? Will speed the video preview in multicam designer?

I can't find info about exactly at what stage of the editing process a powerful GPU resource it's useful for.
Quote:
As a test you could convert/render parts of 3 clips to mpeg4 and see how they fare in MultiCam, just a test to see if a workaround could help you.

Dafydd

I received also suggestion to convert into Cineform format.
In your experience this will speed the editing process?
Better this or mpeg4?
Hi Dafydd,

I attach a screenshot of my multicam screen, also attach the MediaInfo of my three files.

In attach the updated DxDiag, also I didn't enable shadow files and all the clips are on my SSD.

To better clarify what it's happening maybe the right term it's stalling: one or two of the videos stop play at times and return to play after few seconds, at a later point.
In that situation I can't decide which video need I to record, since I loss some key action.

Thanks for any help.
Ok after some analysis:

- for some reason my CPU was bound at 800 Mhz base clock, installed some updates and now is going up to full Turbo boost 3,2 Ghz
- also re-encoded all my clips into 9Mbps 25p

PD now didn't lag adding clips to timeline.

But: try multicam edit and playback of the three stream it's scattering, so that it's almost impossible to perform the recording.

Any suggestion to improve this?
Here the information:

PD Ultimate 12.0.2930.0

Also some other notes: I didn't enable shadow files since videos are on SSD and RAM never goes up to 4GB usage.
Started to work on my 50GB multicam project.

First problem: when I drag more than 3 clips on the timeline my laptop goes 100% CPU for at least 10 mins.

I drag first the central professional cam clip a 12GB 1h file, next on a different track start dragging clips coming from the lateral GoPro cams, all 4GB 17 min files, 4 of them compose the whole 1h show.
After adding the second GoPro clip PD started working and need a lot of time to enable me dragging clip 3, and so on with every clip.
I'm wondering what will happen dragging in a third track the 4 clips from the second GoPro cam.

My machine: laptop with i5 2520M dual core 2,5Ghz with hyper treading, integrated GPU Intel HD3000, 8GB RAM, internal 320GB HDD, internal 64GB SSD, external 2TB HDD.

Clip: MOV format, max 11.5 GB size, encoding AVC High@L4.2 1080 50p 25 Mbps. All of them reside in the internal SSD. Working on multicam with three cam.

Target: 1h DVD and a short 10-15min clip for web

What need I to do to speed operations and maintain quality for the final output?
Better transform clips 50p --> 25p? Or 25 Mbps --> DVD quality? Or change file format?
I got a look at your website and find many interesting links.

It's anyway hard work to find what it's needed!
Try to use smart sound, but every time I try to use some classical music track I can't drag it to timeline.

Every single track need to be purchased before usage?

Allowing "All styles" I find at the beginning some names in blue: I can drag them on the timeline. Meaning they are free to use or sometime in the past I purchase them?

How can I understand different costs, price and license?
Done it works, thanks!

I'm always worried to mess up with conf files.
Need I just to copy into

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\CyberLink\PowerDirector\12.0

directory the Profile.ini file i can find in the correspondent 10.0 directory?
In the meantime I bought and installed PD12 upgrade.

I also put all my 50GB videoclip in the SSD for faster access.

Now will start editing and will see the speed of the process and if RAM will be a problem, and maybe keep you posted.

In the meantime thanks you all for the suggestions, useful to make my mind about what to do.
Go to: