Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD12 lagging adding clips to timeline
david445 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Oct 30, 2012 05:28 Messages: 129 Offline
[Post New]
Started to work on my 50GB multicam project.

First problem: when I drag more than 3 clips on the timeline my laptop goes 100% CPU for at least 10 mins.

I drag first the central professional cam clip a 12GB 1h file, next on a different track start dragging clips coming from the lateral GoPro cams, all 4GB 17 min files, 4 of them compose the whole 1h show.
After adding the second GoPro clip PD started working and need a lot of time to enable me dragging clip 3, and so on with every clip.
I'm wondering what will happen dragging in a third track the 4 clips from the second GoPro cam.

My machine: laptop with i5 2520M dual core 2,5Ghz with hyper treading, integrated GPU Intel HD3000, 8GB RAM, internal 320GB HDD, internal 64GB SSD, external 2TB HDD.

Clip: MOV format, max 11.5 GB size, encoding AVC High@L4.2 1080 50p 25 Mbps. All of them reside in the internal SSD. Working on multicam with three cam.

Target: 1h DVD and a short 10-15min clip for web

What need I to do to speed operations and maintain quality for the final output?
Better transform clips 50p --> 25p? Or 25 Mbps --> DVD quality? Or change file format?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 29. 2014 05:30

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
I suspect you are a little underpowered.
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Intel+HD+3000
Link to your card.
Massive HD video on an i5, with a weak card, and a crowded C: Drive, it all spells trouble.
Would you please create and attach a dxDIAG for us to look at? It may help.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/29701.page
PART A and PART B please. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
david445 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Here the information:

PD Ultimate 12.0.2930.0

Also some other notes: I didn't enable shadow files since videos are on SSD and RAM never goes up to 4GB usage.
 Filename
davide445DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
39 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
381 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 29. 2014 03:40

david445 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ok after some analysis:

- for some reason my CPU was bound at 800 Mhz base clock, installed some updates and now is going up to full Turbo boost 3,2 Ghz
- also re-encoded all my clips into 9Mbps 25p

PD now didn't lag adding clips to timeline.

But: try multicam edit and playback of the three stream it's scattering, so that it's almost impossible to perform the recording.

Any suggestion to improve this?
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Ok after some analysis:

- for some reason my CPU was bound at 800 Mhz base clock, installed some updates and now is going up to full Turbo boost 3,2 Ghz
- also re-encoded all my clips into 9Mbps 25p

PD now didn't lag adding clips to timeline.

But: try multicam edit and playback of the three stream it's scattering, so that it's almost impossible to perform the recording.

Any suggestion to improve this?

Hi david445,
Please provide a screenshot of the MultiCam interface with your project insitu. I want to see what you've created/experienced using MultiCam. The image will help editors assess what you are doing.
Part E & F in the Guide, see link already given above.
Dafydd
david445 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Dafydd,

I attach a screenshot of my multicam screen, also attach the MediaInfo of my three files.

In attach the updated DxDiag, also I didn't enable shadow files and all the clips are on my SSD.

To better clarify what it's happening maybe the right term it's stalling: one or two of the videos stop play at times and return to play after few seconds, at a later point.
In that situation I can't decide which video need I to record, since I loss some key action.

Thanks for any help.
[Thumb - Multicam.JPG]
 Filename
Multicam.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
112 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
82 time(s)
 Filename
MediaInfo.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
9 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
392 time(s)
 Filename
david445DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
39 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
348 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 03. 2014 09:15

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Dafydd,

I attach a screenshot of my multicam screen, also attach the MediaInfo of my three files.

In attach the updated DxDiag, also I didn't enable shadow files and all the clips are on my SSD.

To better clarify what it's happening maybe the right term it's stalling: one or two of the videos stop play at times and return to play after few seconds, at a later point.
In that situation I can't decide which video need I to record, since I loss some key action.

Thanks for any help.

Hi,
Looking at your data and I'm not sure I can assist.
There is a bit on the Net about V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC and the mkv structure you have. Take a look at http://matroska.org/technical/specs/codecid/index.html the info mentions b-frames (the GOP pattern) and this can affect stitching video together.
Regarding the stuttering play/preview of MultiCam, your system isn't strong enough to handle the task in my opinion. The i5 will struggle and the graphics card needs to be more powerful and have dedicated resources to call upon.

As a test you could convert/render parts of 3 clips to mpeg4 and see how they fare in MultiCam, just a test to see if a workaround could help you.

Dafydd
david445 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
As a test you could convert/render parts of 3 clips to mpeg4 and see how they fare in MultiCam, just a test to see if a workaround could help you.

Dafydd

I received also suggestion to convert into Cineform format.
In your experience this will speed the editing process?
Better this or mpeg4?
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote:

Dafydd

I received also suggestion to convert into Cineform format.
In your experience this will speed the editing process?
Better this or mpeg4?

Hi david445,
There are a few things going on with your PC, it's struggling to edit 3 compressed HD files, previewing them at the same time is what's causing the issue of stuttering I believe. This may be due to the GPU (lack of resources and limited allocation of ram via your PC set up) and/or the mastroka file format you have in the tracks. One way to test if it is the mastroka is to convert a short clip (only has to be 5 seconds long) into a HD format, load the (standard Edit Workspace) tracks one on top of the other with the same clip layered on top of each other (not MultiCam). You can then find the stress point of your i5 to preview with or without stuttering, by loading a track to find the max number of HD files your computer can cope with. I'd guess 2 or 3 tops.
I suggested mp4 as that looked to be the compression format used by the mastroka files you had. Whether you can use cineform codec in PDR12 is another matter, I don't use the codec.
Your editing speed is limited to the capability of your PC to process the data, it is struggling and stuttering right now and is unlikely to improve with a change. Again all the above is "in my view".
Dafydd
david445 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Dafydd, I'll do the clip test.

There is in fact one thing I can do to improve my hw: adopt a more powerful GPU through a eGPU solution.

This will allow me to use a desktop grade discrete GPU with almost the same performances of a real desktop.

As I understood hw accelleration its for sure used in the final production process, but this will also speed my editing process? Will speed the video preview in multicam designer?

I can't find info about exactly at what stage of the editing process a powerful GPU resource it's useful for.
david445 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ok done the test and also read a lot about hw accelleration.

1 - using MP4 files seems to work well. I need anyway to try again to do a fair comparison: mkv was encoded 9Mbps 25p, mp4 are encoded 6Mbps 50p. Anyway multicam is working I think I can try do continue my project. Also setting "normal quality" for playback helps. Just interested to know if hw accelleration recognize the container or the contained video encoding: both mkv and mp4 contain an mpeg4 avc encoded video.

2 - strange thing about a topic I've read a lot around PD forum: quicksync seems not to be used during video playback. During conversion I used latest Handbrake and it push GPU to 80% during conversion using QS, reducing by 75% my conversion time. PD option "Enable hardware decoding" is enabled, but during playback my GPU it's working at less than 5%. Don't want to compare Handbrake with PD, to completely different sw, just to say QS can make a lot of difference in encoding, can't understand why cannot be used also during decoding.

3- understood probably a eGPU won't make so much difference for me, want first to understand if QS can speed up video playback during multicam editing.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jul 06. 2014 07:37

david445 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Just to give the last update: after giving up with multicam editing since after 3 min all was lagging, and waiting for budget grow for a new PC (conf ready), having more time I try one last thing: disable all non fundamental running services on my laptop.

It work, and I just finished editing in multicam the three mkv files, with 68 min available to edit on timeline.

I need now to be able to edit it and appear I'm at the limit of my laptop possibilities since PD it's lagging just opening the project to produce thumbnails, but so far so good.