Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Regarding slider width, that is a matter of personal preference, but it would be a moot point if the central issue of my complaint were redressed which, as you say, is a possibility for future versions.

Thanks for the link where I can submit suggestions.

Jeff
Quote: Chapter one is defaulted to be at the start. You have to name the first chapter - that's why.

It makes no difference if I name the chapters or not.

What makes this annoying is that, if I have more than a dozen or so chapters, adding a new chapter requires me to move the cursor over to the (rather thin) slider to the right of the Chapter titles and click on it (sometimes more than once) to display the new chapter icon, then move the cursor to the new chapter icon and click on it, then move the cursor back over to the timeline where I go looking for the next chapter insertion point, only to repeat the process.

Quote: When you create a DVD you have a "first play" option to have an intro video, maybe you should consider using that function.

Perhaps, but I don't see how that is going to solve this annoying program design choice. I will start playing with that later this week because I do need an opening.

Jeff
Thanks for the tip, Adrian.

The people in that thread didn't have anywhere near the disparity I encountered.

Jeff
I had a similar problem with a much wider disparity. I edited a project and produced an MPEG2 which is 3.9 GB. The production has a couple dozen chapters (yes, they are animated). There is very little cut out from the original - 1:14:58 was edited down to 1:13:09.

Even so, the estimated project size was 10 GB. PD7 wouldn't even let me record unless I selected Smart Fit.

I also recorded to hard disk and the resulting size was 3.2 GB.

I suppose I could re-burn and record only to hard disk, then use Roxio to burn the folder to a DVD as an experiment.

Jeff
As I recall, all you have to do is double-click on the text. You should see a thin, vertical cursor between the characters.

Jeff
I created my own DVD Menu (imported my own image and sound file) and didn't have Items 1 thru 3, but I couldn't delete the "My Video" text box, either.

But I could edit it, so I replaced the text with a space character, which is invisible.

Jeff
I produced a video to MPEG2 prior to burning to DVD. It's actual size is about 3.9 GB. When I went into Create Disc, the reported project size was 10.0 GB and wouldn't fit on one DVD until I enabled Smart Fit.

The resulting file was 3.3 GB, well under the capacity of the DVD.

Can anyone explain what is going on with this?

Jeff
When I add a Chapter, why does the slider jump all the way back to the beginning of the timeline?

It's aggravating and I would like to know if there is some setting I can select to make it stop doing this.

Jeff
While making choices for a DVD Menu I was creating, I noticed a section of my soundtrack was suitable for a repeating loop. I could easily separate the sound track into a separate file, but once that was done, I couldn't figure out how to edit it to get just the 10 second clip I wanted.

I ended up editing the extracted WAV soundtrack in Roxio's Sound Editor and saving to MP3, but I wanted to know if there was a method for doing it inside PD7.

Any help?
After editing and producing some projects, I tried to get to the Create Disc portion of the program to make DVDs.

Not once did I get past 30%, even when I went away from my computer to read for close to an hour.

I had read about conflicts with some MPEG codecs, so I made use of a spare partition to install Windows XP Pro and PowerDirector 7. I have not installed Windows Media Player, Roxio or any other media handling/display application and certainly not my packages of multiple codecs.

Now, I can easily open a project and get to the Create Disc section in a matter of seconds, but if I go to Edit, I cannot see the video. Well, I can see the video, but only if I hit the Play arrow under the preview window and nothing else (certainly not either of the sliders). Once I do anything other than Play, the video disappears, even if I move the slider all the way back to the beginning and hit Play again.

So... I have to boot into one partition to Edit and Produce a project, then boot into another partition to Create Disc, all because the programmers who wrote PowerDirector couldn't deal with some codec and couldn't be bothered to issue a popup telling me what the problem is and how to fix it.

I mean, really... how difficult is something like this to fix?

Jeff
Quote: Thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to answer my question! I'm still a little confused, though.

The Home version of MS Office 2007 that I recently purchased states specifically that it is for non-commercial use only -- and I got it for much less than the commercial version.

Kathy,

I noticed something similar when I bought my version of Office 2003 on eBay. The cardboard retail box was labeled "Home and Student", but the plastic disk box was labeled "Standard Edition 2003". When I went through the registration procedure, there were several options for specifying the class of usage (Student, Home, Corporate, etc.). I chose "Home Business" and haven't had any problem. To my understanding, there are some extra programs in the full-up version, including a database manager.

Jeff
I had a similar problem in that I could not get to the Create Disk section. PD7 locked up at 30% every time.

I had read that there are some problems with MPEG codec conflicts, so I installed Windows XP Pro and PD7 to an unused partition on my very large hard drive.

After that, I could easily get to the Create Disk section, but I could not see my video in the Edit section (apparently missing the MPEG codec), so I have to edit my project on one boot partition, then boot into another partition to wrestle with the DVD Menu and final burning (which will be the subject of another post).

There is absolutely no help to be found telling me which application or codec is causing the compatibility problem with PD7 and I am not inclined to gut my existing, and otherwise-fine, installation trying to get every section of PowerDirector to work in the same boot session.

I would prefer that CyberLink fix this obvious bug.

Go to: