Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Wasted disk space
DC [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 25, 2008 16:02 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Hello all,

I'm new to PD7, and just ran into this problem. Hopefully somebody has an answer.

When I finished editing my project, PD7 told me the project was too big to fit on a dual layer DVD. It wouldn't even allow me to create a DVD folder without burning to DVD because it was too big. So, I re-edited and got the size to 8GB, and burned it.

The final DVD ended up being just over 5GB, leaving 3GB unused on the disk. I can see a little difference in "estimated size" vs "actual size" but this seems a little extreme. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks.

DC
DC [Avatar]
[Post New]
Any suggestions? Am I missing something?

Kind of a big problem if the most you can put on an 8G disk is 5G.

Anything would be greatly appreciated.

DC

Hello all,

I'm new to PD7, and just ran into this problem. Hopefully somebody has an answer.

When I finished editing my project, PD7 told me the project was too big to fit on a dual layer DVD. It wouldn't even allow me to create a DVD folder without burning to DVD because it was too big. So, I re-edited and got the size to 8GB, and burned it.

The final DVD ended up being just over 5GB, leaving 3GB unused on the disk. I can see a little difference in "estimated size" vs "actual size" but this seems a little extreme. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks.

DC
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
My guess is that PD is reading the source files and estimating the size.

Please experiment - Produce portions of your project (break it down to smaller chunks) and then re-unite the whole lot so you can add chapters etc prior to disc burning. See what effect that has.

Dafydd
DC [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'll give that a try. Thanks.

DC
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
DC,

I have not seen the estimate off that much for a real project but I know it will be off significantly if you have lots of colorboard footage. For instance, to show this I have 20 min of DVD HQ footage

PD7, Release 2206, DVDHQ, Dolby, create dvd folder
1480MB estimate, 1330MB actual

Now take the first 10 min of same footage followed by 10 min black colorboard with a title effect with 10 minutes of scrolling credits, my grandma reads real slow! (20 min total footage)
1480MB estimate, 744MB actual

As you can see, error is very large. I think the size estimates are based on video duration at a given quality. So both tests above have the same duration, 20 minutes, but one does not have video footage for the full 20 minutes hence the big difference. Might be VBR effects.

Jeff
DC [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Jeff,

My project is just some old home movies that I captured in DVDHQ from video tape. One large file, multi trimmed with chapters at each clip, and a menu. Very little footage was trimmed from the capture, so I don't see that causing the large difference.

Haven't had a chance to get back to the project to try what has been suggested yet, but hope to do it soon.

Thanks for the reply, it's appreciated.

DC
Jeff [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 28, 2008 16:06 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
I had a similar problem with a much wider disparity. I edited a project and produced an MPEG2 which is 3.9 GB. The production has a couple dozen chapters (yes, they are animated). There is very little cut out from the original - 1:14:58 was edited down to 1:13:09.

Even so, the estimated project size was 10 GB. PD7 wouldn't even let me record unless I selected Smart Fit.

I also recorded to hard disk and the resulting size was 3.2 GB.

I suppose I could re-burn and record only to hard disk, then use Roxio to burn the folder to a DVD as an experiment.

Jeff